Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

suggestions for cold water setup

More
01 Aug 2007 15:06 #1 by goldy (goldy .)
hi I have set up a Trigon 190 and want to keep coldwater species. I have 3 aquatic frogs 2 weather loach and 2 goldfish that will transfer from another tank and I want to see what is available as tank mates for them.

Any suggestion would be welcomed

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2007 23:32 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
The Trigon corner tanks look cool. You could put in a nice big shoal of WCMM. I saw some long finned ones in Whackers last week, if you prefer them.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Aug 2007 09:10 #3 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:suggestions for cold water setup
Hi Goldy,
I don't know whether this page is any good ... and you might have seen it before. It suggests some species which could be added in a coldwater setup.
freshaquarium.about.com/od/fishqa/f/coldwaterfish.htm

Good luck with your new tank!
Valerie

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Aug 2007 10:10 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:suggestions for cold water setup
Goldfish are very messy and I don't know what filtration you use.I don't like them because you cannot keep plants with them and their colours are two artificial looking for my taste. Only my opinion and if you want to keep them that is fine by me.
Personally I'd get rid of both the goldfish and the loaches and go for a nive community set up with minnows, bitterling, sticklebacks and maybe a gudgeon or two.
At least this would give you a chance to introduce a few plants.
Bitterling have a very interesting breeding behaviour. They lay their eggs inside freshwater mussles. There are some cracking bitterling species from Japan but even the European bitterling is a gorgeous fish.
Male minnows really show beautiful colouration during spawning and stickleback males are stunners as well.
Just my two cents. best of luck with whatever sett-up you chose.

More
06 Aug 2007 14:18 #5 by goldy (goldy .)
thanks for the replies. I have 2 goldfish to go into the tanks and 2 weather loach and 3 large albino frogs. These are already quite happy but in a smaller tank and need to be moved. I also have a few hill stream loach but I dont know if the tank is too big for them. These are in another coldwater tank with killies and WCMM and wuis. They are lovely but I am afraid taht I will never see them again if I put them into a big tank.

I have been on the look out for coldwater species but they are not easily got and like Holger everyone want to know why I dont put a heater in it. I dont really want it to be a tropical tank but I am willing to put a heater in and heat it to room temperature. This may allow me to introduce some species like danios or maybe gobies.

I will keep looking

thanks

More
06 Aug 2007 21:19 #6 by lampeye (lampeye)
Ranchu are great imo. saw them breeding in wackers ages ago.

lampeye

• Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Aug 2007 15:32 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:suggestions for cold water setup
lampeye wrote:

Ranchu are great imo. saw them breeding in wackers ages ago.

Also grow quite big. you wouldn't put too many in a 190l tank. Biological filtration also doesn't work as well and fast in low temperatures as in a tropical tank. The metabolism of nitrobacters doubles about every 8 degrees centigrade, i.e. they are capable to break down nitrites doubly as fast at 24 degrees than at 16. Just one thing to keep in mind before you start introducing big, messy fish.
IMO as colourful as goldfish are as boring they are. Don't do much but eat and you know what....

More
07 Aug 2007 16:29 #8 by lampeye (lampeye)
apistodiscus wrote:

IMO as colourful as goldfish are as boring they are. Don't do much but eat and you know what....

apistodiscus wrote:

While we all might have an opinion about a particular species but I do not think that anybody should call any particular species boring just because one thinks so.

:whistle:

lampeye

• Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Aug 2007 17:02 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
and I also stated that if you want to keep them that is fine by me. Personal observation, no judgement on others and their preferences. Please don't start again. I got ripped to shreds when I suggested that Derek Doyle shouldn't have written the same thing about Discus and Frontosas. I'm not suggesting that there is one law for some people and another for the rest but it sure smells like that

More
07 Aug 2007 18:26 #10 by lampeye (lampeye)
just taking the piss holger

lampeye

More
07 Aug 2007 19:22 #11 by goldy (goldy .)
thanks to everyone who has argued their way through this thread. I will probably make it a sub tropical set up and not completely cold. I will have goldfish in it and frogs but I have been researching a bit and Some nice barbs (as you might already know I have a soft spot for Dennisons)or more weather loach might be nice.

One thing is for sure I will fill it and then I will probably end up looking for space for another tank. It is addictive thats for sure.

More
07 Aug 2007 20:31 #12 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)
Personally I wouldn't go keeping goldfish with the WCMM. I've had the minnows eaten by the goldfish before when kept together.

WCMM are lovely fish & are no longer the poor man's neon tetra. Well they're no longer cheaper & they're not a tetra at all.

Never kept bitterlings, can't comment on them. Can you still even get them with all the licensing hoo ha about them?

WCMM & Sticklebacks, nice together.

Richard

"Everything's going perfectly in my aquarium. What do I do???"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Aug 2007 07:58 #13 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
lampeye wrote:

just taking the piss holger

There is a use of foul language

More
08 Aug 2007 10:48 #14 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Goldy i have some golden rice fish and some Killie's that may go well with your set up.
My only concern would be the hungry frogs.

@ lampeye; can you skip the bad language.

More
08 Aug 2007 12:51 #15 by lampeye (lampeye)
relax ladies. and holger i hate point out your contradictions you twice in one thread but .........

apistodiscus wrote:

Fair enough point but how would you like it explained?
Would that have this 'C6H12O6 + 2 ADP + 2 phosphate ? 2 lactic acid + 2 ATP' have done it? Ok, taking the piss...

apistodiscus wrote:

what the chemistry or that I#m taking the piss? :)

apistodiscus wrote:
There is a good article in PFK this month about mollies. Well worth the read. (yes, I know and you can all take the piss now, but I actually agree with PFK for once). What it comes down basically is that NH4, NO2 and NO3 are less toxic in hard, alkaline water and that mollies are very susceptible to these compounds when kept in softer water.
Holger[/quote]

:whistle: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:<br><br>Post edited by: lampeye, at: 2007/08/08 13:57

lampeye

• Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Aug 2007 13:02 #16 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
@lampeye,
and you had to quote me on a post where the brain wasn't quite switched on after a night on Cork's finest:woohoo: This is getting out of hand again :lol:

More
08 Aug 2007 13:16 #17 by lampeye (lampeye)
i saw a guy wearing a tshirt that said : IN CORK WE DRINK BEAMISH
:laugh:<br><br>Post edited by: lampeye, at: 2007/08/08 14:16

lampeye

• Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Aug 2007 14:07 #18 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
That would be correct. I used to have an apartment right across the road from the main entrance. The main rep is a buddy of mine but even he couldn't get them to put a direct line into my living room. I even offered to put a meter in :blink:

More
08 Aug 2007 18:48 #19 by goldy (goldy .)
since everyone else is using the p*ss word. P*ss off and fight somewhere else.

More
08 Aug 2007 22:59 #20 by lampeye (lampeye)
lol...nobody is fighting goldy. bit of banter is all.

lampeye

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Aug 2007 10:23 #21 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
We were fighting? Thanks for letting me know. let me just sharpen the knifes:lol:

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds