Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pond stuff

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Vincent (Vincent)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Oct 2007 12:58 #1 by Vincent (Vincent)
Pond stuff was created by Vincent (Vincent)
May be the wrong place to post this,,,but,,,

Ive a pond in my back garden,,,,fish n frogs,,,,
Theres a VERY small bog garden attached to it as well,,,
Ive all types of plants both in and around the pond and bog section,,,all of which have grown to huge proportions this year for some reason.

I never touch these plants to divide or split up,,,but Ive a feeling if i dont do it soon , next year all I will see is vegetation...
If anyone has a pond,,,and wants some plants to either go in or around it,,,more than welcome,,,
Theres also a few frogs still hopping around,,,if u want these u can catch them urself !!!!!,,
Ive doled out god knows how many buckets of spawn over the last few years,,,so this hopefully will be available next spring,,,usually around end march / beg april.

Am living in Santry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2007 13:13 #2 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re:Pond stuff
Hi Vincent

Would love some frog spawn next spring. I love frogs and had some this year from spawn but I put them back when they grew out. Would love to do the same again. I will remind you nearer to the time or else when you have some please post and I will be over to collect them. Thanks

Nessa

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Oct 2007 22:35 #3 by Vincent (Vincent)
Replied by Vincent (Vincent) on topic Re:Pond stuff
ok,will do,,,bring ur own bucket,,,lol

More
16 Oct 2007 13:26 #4 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re:Pond stuff
no problems. I went all the way to Hayling Island, saw lovely fish and I brought home more frogs and guess what...a bucket. so I am ready for spring. :lol:

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2007 13:53 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Pond stuff
Be careful moving native amphibians and fish around the place. It's illegal. No joke, friend of mind got a slap on the wrist from the Fisheries Board when he caught minnows and wanted to keep them in his rainwater barrel to use them for bait at a later date

More
16 Oct 2007 15:17 #6 by Carl (Carl M)
Replied by Carl (Carl M) on topic Re:Pond stuff
apistodiscus wrote:

Be careful... friend of mind got a slap on the wrist from the Fisheries Board

OMG... little 2 do & so much time 2 do it!
I know there have to be regulations to keep 'everything in check' but that is taking absurdity to a new height.

Considering that I did something that I ‘suspect’ might be highly illegal (but deny all culpability) recently involving tropical fish, a Swiss-army penknife (totally by accident) and hand-luggage during international travel which only got an ‘aren’t de gorgeous’ (after much explanation and swearing I had permission… which ‘of course’ I had), I think a few native tiddlers in a bucket in your own back garden really deserves more than a ‘blind eye’!

Where will it all end:S

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2007 16:10 #7 by Vincent (Vincent)
Replied by Vincent (Vincent) on topic Re:Pond stuff
Believe it or not,,,frogs are fast approaching the endangered species list in this country,,,as well as Britain,,,(and our native bees are also getting there..some kinda red spider parasite on their backs )

We have one native toad here,,,the natterjack,,and that is also becoming a rarity ...

2 reasons,,,
Their natural habitat has been slowly destroyed by road building,,,farmland,instead of a collection of small fields divided by these ditches,,,being converted into huge tracts of land with no area for them to breed ,,,sprays ,,,,and in addition to all the above,,,
They are now apparently fighting some kinda disease,,dunno what it is,,, seems to involve red blotches , bloating, ..

I got the tadders from a pond in a mates house in nth co dublin,,,that was about to be filled in !!!

They are there now about 4 years,,,have done really well in the amount of spawn every year,,,but the gold fish in the pond thinks its their christmas when the tadders hatch....
It is ILLEGAL to take these from the wild,,,,but,,,id rather take from the wild and commit the offence than knowlingly let them die in drying up streams / ponds...
I'll get Greenpeace to defend me if im ever charged............:lol:

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2007 16:46 - 16 Oct 2007 16:48 #8 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Pond stuff
Point well made and I do not agree with the law either. The law's too black and white on this one.
The reason it is not permitted to move fish or amphibians around is that scientist do not want species spread around where they don't naturally occur or in the case of a lot of fish, not spread them any further.
Of course it is ludicrous when you see a pond or lake being filled in and you are not allowed to save the endangered species in it. But alas, the law also applies here. So much for environmental impact statements....
I wouldn't worry too much about being charged. With the resources the EPA and Fisheries Boards have you are very unlikely to be caught in the first place, never mind actually being charged
Last edit: 16 Oct 2007 16:48 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus).

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds