Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Whats the problem.

More
14 Sep 2006 05:06 #1 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
There is something new everyday!! and its not always necessarily good.

Last week I did a complete strip down of one of my cold water tanks. This involved removed all of the wood and stone from the tank and giving them all a decent scrubbing to remove the excess build up of old algae and to promote a certain amount of new algae growth for my hillstream loaches to brows through. It also involved a vigorous gravel vac!!

In most situation the water remains cloudy for the best part of a day following a large operation such as this and then the suspended particles settle and the water turns clear. This has not been the case this time!!

The water was cloudy after cleaning the tank and it has remained cloudy to date. In my opinion I think it must be some sort of suspended algae bloom as the water seems to be cloudier at the end of the day in comparison to when the light first turns on in the morning. Thus it must be some sort of "light induced cloudiness".

What is the solution to rid me of this problem? If it is a phototrophic problem should I just plunge the tank into darkness for a couple of days to kill off the algae?

The water stats in the tank are fine

ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrate = hardily registers
pH = 7.5

Comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Darren, Just to let you know that all the new fish are doing fine as of this morning and are already beginning to colour up. Great looking fish by the way!! Many thanks.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2006 16:14 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I think You are most likely having a bacterial bloom.
Is your water a whitish cloudy colour.?
Maybe you gave your filter a good clean along with the rest of the tank and have removed too much bactaria causing the bactaria to multiply like crazy causing the tank water to apair cloudy.
I have never experienced this myself so i suggest you gougle "aquarium bactaria bloom" to see if you find a match to what is happening in your tank.
Do another amonia test tomorrow to see if it is still 0.

Thanks for the comment on the fish. I think you will enjoy these in your tank.

More
17 Sep 2006 17:32 #3 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)

I think You are most likely having a bacterial bloom.
Is your water a whitish cloudy colour.?
quote]

I think you hit the nail on the head with your prognosis! I'm sure it was a bacteri bloom. I have increased water changes, tested the water and everthing seems to be getting back to normal. The only time the water gets cloudy now is after a feed. I will keep up the increased water changes for the next week and I'm sure things will be back to normal.

The male killifish is a beaut!!

More
18 Sep 2006 12:21 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
This may sound strange but if your tank is a fairly new setup you can have it to clean, almost sterile. this is just my oppinion.
What are you feeding your fish?

Your right about the male killi's. Unfortunitly nearly all female killi's are verry plane with the exception of 1 or 2.

• gm333 (gm333)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Sep 2006 15:30 #5 by gm333 (gm333)
Replied by gm333 (gm333) on topic Re: Whats the problem.
My female n'sukka is definitly not a looker.

More
18 Sep 2006 15:54 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
:D I had to read that twice, i taught you said hooker. :D

More
19 Sep 2006 04:40 #7 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)

This may sound strange but if your tank is a fairly new setup you can have it to clean, almost sterile. this is just my oppinion.
What are you feeding your fish?

The tank in question has been running for over two years now, so I don't think it is new tank syndrome. I carried out large water changes daily and also carried out a gravel vac at the same time for the past week and all seem to be right again in the tank.

I feed the following in moderation.
Cold water and vegi pro flake both by tetratec
JMC sinking catfish pellets for the loach's

then once or twice a week I feed frozen blood worm and mias shrimp.

More
19 Sep 2006 12:05 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
It just seems strange that your water goes cloudy after feeding.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds