Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Coldwater setup

More
29 Nov 2007 15:45 #1 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
So heres how it goes...
I bought a 160L Aqualntis aquarium which I had planed to use for a marine aquarium but I decided that I would wait till next year and use my Vision260 for marines.
So I am left with a 160L tank just sitting there and I decided a I would use it to setup an Irish freshwater tank. I have read through the other thread about fish types but I want to solely use irish fish. I have been trying to get it going for a while now but been too busy.
Eventually today I headed to the Pheonix park to a pond I used to go to when I was younger with the intention of getting my some fish.. However when I got there , there was not a single fish in sight. I am not sure if its the season or that the aint fish there anymore.
Anyways I was wondering if anyone has any info on small fish in irish ponds and rivers?
I only know them as minnows and stickbacks. From memory sticklebacks are a very nice fish with a red belly.
Also if anyone knows where at this time of year I could get some.

Thanks
Damian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2007 15:52 #2 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:Coldwater setup
With our extended springs and Autumns who knows when you will get them.They usually appear around March as far as I remember.I think they only get red bellies when they are breeding.

You live in Beamount dont you.The park beside Northside SC has a river that is usually full of them.I dont actually know where they go in the winter?Im going to google that now.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2007 15:57 #3 by ChrisM (ChrisM)

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2007 16:31 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Coldwater setup
Damian_Ireland wrote:

Eventually today I headed to the Pheonix park to a pond I used to go to when I was younger with the intention of getting my some fish.. However when I got there , there was not a single fish in sight. I am not sure if its the season or that the aint fish there anymore.
Anyways I was wondering if anyone has any info on small fish in irish ponds and rivers?
I only know them as minnows and stickbacks. From memory sticklebacks are a very nice fish with a red belly.
Also if anyone knows where at this time of year I could get some.

Thanks
Damian

Damian,
you are actually commiting a criminals offence moving live native fish around without a licence.
Policing is lax to say the least but don't say you haven't been warned
Holger

More
29 Nov 2007 16:32 #5 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
Thanks for that Chris.
Yeah I live in Beaumont so I will check out that river..
Just need to get a newphew to drag along so that I dont look like a bit of a weirdo

Damian

More
29 Nov 2007 17:01 #6 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
thanks for the heads up holger, but I cant really see that being an issue.
I also cant see why it would be an offense, its called fishing which as far as I know only requires a licence when specified.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2007 17:13 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Hi Damian,
you can catch as many as you like. Nobody is going to stop you. Knock them over the head and bring them home and you still not breaking the law. Put them in a bucket of water and bring them home alive and you are breaking the law

More
29 Nov 2007 17:17 #8 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re:Coldwater setup
Thanks
Damian[/quote]

Damian,
you are actually commiting a criminals offence moving live native fish around without a licence.
Policing is lax to say the least but don't say you haven't been warned
Holger[/quote]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Come on Holgar non of the fish farm owners on the south coast wont talk to you, dont take politics/work into the hobby/forum.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If there was a product on the market to slip the ESB metres you would be the first to commit an \"illegal offence\" and if Blessington lakes in Wicklow mountains were nearer to you you would be the first to collect aquarium rocks.:silly:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
29 Nov 2007 17:25 #9 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
Transfer of Live Roach, Bye-Law No. 561, 1973
It is illegal to transfer live roach from one water to any other waters.

Thats the only law i can see what reference to the transfer of fish from water to water.
But to be honest I dont really care.
Anyways if anyone has some of these fellas at home and wants to give them to a good home let me know

More
29 Nov 2007 17:38 #10 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
A native coldwater tanks sounds like a great idea. I was flyfishing on the grand canal under the M50 last week for pike and I caught a couple of small jack pike. This fella was the smallest of the bunch but I think it would awesome to have it in a tank until it got too big. You could get away with just feeding it garden worms!

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2007 18:06 - 29 Nov 2007 18:08 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Fr. Jack wrote:

If there was a product on the market to slip the ESB metres you would be the first to commit an \"illegal offence\" and if Blessington lakes in Wicklow mountains were nearer to you you would be the first to collect aquarium rocks.:silly:

AN 'illegal offence'? Double negative....you sure have a way with the English language :P And here is me thinking that all offences were illegal. Silly me....

And thanks, I have my own rocks. Seriously, the ones in my tanks come from the River Sullane.

BTW, I never said I agreed with the law in the case of transporting live native fish. Just warning people that they might find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

Sean, are you going off your game alltogether. Just saw your new avatar. Are youi sure you are feeling well? :lol:
Last edit: 29 Nov 2007 18:08 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus).

More
29 Nov 2007 19:05 #12 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re:Coldwater setup
Hi Holgar
I though if I change my photo to a discus I will be on your good side:laugh: , this is got nothing to do with the kind words you will are just about to sing when my new dvd of my tanks are uploaded by Anthony shortly, especially the marine tank that has never had a water change since March 2004, great balls of fire or is it great balls of algae .:woohoo:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2007 23:14 #13 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
OMG, yet another avatar. The Village People do Mallorca ?

More
29 Nov 2007 23:22 #14 by MonsterFish (Monster Fish)
I just caught a couple of stickleback with a homemade minnow trap a few days ago so its still possible to catch them if you know where to look (i just got lucky).

Interested in getting a small pike or some small perch too but I've never fished in my life so that could be a problem!

More
30 Nov 2007 00:04 #15 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
@monsterfish .. 1. Where did you catch them you wreckless lawbreaker ? 2. Are you keeping them in a tank ?

More
30 Nov 2007 00:40 #16 by MonsterFish (Monster Fish)
Yeah I'm bad to the bone!

Caught them in a little stream running through the centre of a town in Derry. A long way from you, but I'm just saying they are still about, you'll find them somewhere if you go looking.

I have them in a small planted tank with some snails (also from the river)

They're pretty cool, feeding on baby brineshrimp.

Having said that, they are no more interesting than anything from your LFS, and if it is illegal to keep them your as well just getting something from a retailer. I didn't know there was any legal issues when I collected them,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2007 09:02 #17 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
@monsterfish,
not sure about the law in the North. I was referring to the state of affairs in the Republic.

What species of stickleback do you have 3 or 9 spined ones?

More
30 Nov 2007 12:30 #18 by MonsterFish (Monster Fish)
3 spined stickleback. Havn't seen any other species. Only thing in the little stream are 3 spines and at least one baby anguilla.

What is the actual law then in the Republic? Is it the movement of fish from one natural body to another? which might make sense but wouldn't affect people taking fish for aquariums or is there a flat ban on removing live fish?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2007 12:58 #19 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
The law as it stands in the Republic is that you are not allowed to transport live native fish. One reason is the spread of species to waterways where they have not occured yet. A lot of cyprinids can hybridize, for example roach and bream. Roach populations are threatened and the fisheries boards are trying to protect the genetic pureness of the roach populations and don't want to see bream introduced.
However, you are allowed to knock a bream dead and transport it.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2007 15:42 #20 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Coldwater setup
I think if you exercise your own moral judgement that will be fine.
For example, only take natural fish if you know you can recreate their natural habitat, and if you bore of them, put them back where you got them.
This nanny state is already out of hand.
What are they going to arrest kids fishing for sticklebacks with nets on poles?
Ridiculous.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2007 16:22 #21 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
...never said I agreed with the law. Classing cyprinids except the minnow as native in Ireland is suspect anyway. All introduced by monks when our neighbours from across the Irish Sea took over for some centuries. Same goes for pike. Not a native species either. Why couldn't they introduce the grayling over here? At least a decent game fish to be flogging a fly rod for while freezing your nether regions off on a cold New Year's day.

More
30 Nov 2007 18:45 #22 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
It is great to see some one taking an interest in our wild species something i hope to do when i have more space. But i would ask have you considered what treatments you will use on them as i think this would be advisable from the begaining. pm me later I have to look for a link which might be of use in this case

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Dec 2007 19:15 #23 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
All I would do is worm them. Wild fish generally carry some sort of worm. Any other treatments should be done as required. Same as for tropical fish

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds