Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

piranah & koi happy families?

• bumblygirl (bumblygirl)
  • bumblygirl (bumblygirl)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Oct 2006 10:08 #1 by bumblygirl (bumblygirl)
piranah & koi happy families? was created by bumblygirl (bumblygirl)
A guy came into our shop yesterday. He said he had 8inch piranahs in with some 12 inch koi, and they were all getting on great. He said there was trouble at feeding time but other wise they were fine. I encurraged him to get another tank, explaining the potential problems and said the koi must be stressed living with giant predators. He couldn't see the problem. Why do people do this, when there are so many types of fish you could keep together and would get a long.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Oct 2006 12:46 #2 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: piranah & koi happy families?
I think he was lying :(

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2006 03:03 #3 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
Replied by mattlemon (mattlemon) on topic Re: piranah & koi happy families?

I think he was lying :(

It's possible but not much fun, I'd say the Koi would be extremely stressed if it is true.

Incidentally, my new tank has just finished cycling and I'm not on the hunt for some juvenille Red Belly Piranha. I've been building up to this for a year, getting bits and pieces, research and setting up the tank.

Does anyone know where is the best place to get RBP's? I've been to Newlands Cross and they have some sometimes, Aquatic Village have some larger ones last time I was there an my LFS said they can get them in.

Any recommendations ?

Cheers,

Matt

More
16 Oct 2006 06:02 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I was in Brittas a couple of weeks ago and they had 3. Didn't look too young though. Probably the ones you're referring to.

Regards,

Ken.

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2006 06:57 #5 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
Yeah, I was there a couple of weeks ago, I'd say they were the same ones. Just called them and they said that they should be getting some wild caught ones from Brazil in a couple of weeks. I was told that a few weeks ago so guess I just gotta keep calling :lol: Must be hard to import to be fair !!

More
16 Oct 2006 10:52 #6 by Gavin (Gavin)
we have some really nice ones in at the moment (and they aint wild caught) avoid wild caughts where ye can folks!

gav tropical world.

p.s your story does not surprise me in the least.Irish people do some really stupid things when it comes to mixing fish.A customer called me every name under the sun once cause I told him he shouldn't keep koi in a tropical tank..."I've been doing it for years and they are grand syndrome" ho hum.

dont make me come over there.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2006 12:57 #7 by Anthony (Anthony)

p.s your story does not surprise me in the least.Irish people do some really stupid things when it comes to mixing fish.A customer called me every name under the sun once cause I told him he shouldn't keep koi in a tropical tank..."I've been doing it for years and they are grand syndrome" ho hum.

I had the same response to someone who had sick goldfish with swimbladder problems. :lol: :lol:

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2006 02:44 #8 by mattlemon (mattlemon)

we have some really nice ones in at the moment (and they aint wild caught) avoid wild caughts where ye can folks!

Why is that, I've almost always always heard the opposite as they are more colourful.

PS, where are you ?

Matt

More
17 Oct 2006 03:04 #9 by Gavin (Gavin)
No need to get wild caught as they are taken well....taken from the wild.This encourages the trade in all sorts of fish that the locals could be earning money from by breeding instead of messing up their habitat by removing top predators and rare fish.Red bellies are in no danger at the moment, but who knows what the situation will be in a few years time if people continue to farm from the wild.Some of the lakes in africa have really copped on to this and are breeding lots of stuff using the lakes environment rather then fishing(still lots of it going on as well though)...south america is a little behind in this regard.We try to avoid wild caught whre possible(some stuff just hasn't been bred yet and if you want to stay up with your competitors then you have too personally i'd like to see everyone stop selling wild stuff..) but things like pirhana are have long been aquarium bred and as such if you have an alternative to wild caught then you should use it.. Imho the colours are just as nice.We are located on parnell st under wackers.

dont make me come over there.

More
17 Oct 2006 03:06 #10 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Gardenworks in Clonee usually have RBP's.

Processor.

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2006 03:25 #11 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
Thanks for the info lads :)

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2006 05:48 #12 by Anthony (Anthony)
I hate to see natural inviroments destroyed or species endangered but we need new blood to stop inbreeding. A lot of fish on sale at the moment are from brother/sister parents and people buy these and breed from them again.
Just look at how weak the Guppy has become.

• bumblygirl (bumblygirl)
  • bumblygirl (bumblygirl)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2006 16:51 #13 by bumblygirl (bumblygirl)
Replied by bumblygirl (bumblygirl) on topic Re: piranah & koi happy families?
Just for the record he wasn't joking, he didn't seem like the brightest penny. but I was wondering after if they might have been pacus's most people don't seem to know the difference even though the teeth should give it away. That wouldn't be quiet so bad., not right either, but might explain why the koi haven't died of stress....
Did I tell you about the guy that put a twelve inch oscar into a 24 inch tank, with two turtles and two pacus and various other things. It battered it self to death and he seemed surprised when I said the tank might have been too small. I feel like I need the fish shrink when I leave work some days!!!

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Oct 2006 02:59 #14 by mattlemon (mattlemon)

but I was wondering after if they might have been pacus's most people don't seem to know the difference even though the teeth should give it away.

Very true. Anyone that knows about P's would be able to tell but to anyone that's not well read about them, it would look similar enough.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds