Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sick Goldfish

More
06 Jan 2008 09:44 #1 by NCDub (N Curran)
Hi all,
Wondering if anyone can help, I have a gold fish in a 25l tank on his own. He seems to have problems staying down in the water, any time he swims down to the bottom of the tank he floats right back to the top. Is this a serious problem?, or can it be treated?

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2008 10:38 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re:Sick Goldfish
Sounds like a swim bladder problem. Have you tested your water to determine if the parameters are ok?

It's most likely bacterial. You should be able to get a treatment from your local fish shop. However, there's no guarantees that is will solve the problem.

Many problems like this are caused by water quality issues.

Regards,

Ken.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Jan 2008 12:40 #3 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Sick Goldfish
I doubt this lad will be willing to spend the kind of money on a test kit we do.

Do plenty of water changes and treat the water first.
Also, is this the little tank that comes with a tiny filter and heater?

More
06 Jan 2008 12:55 #4 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
any time i had this problem in the past i would reduce the depth of water and treat i would also look at the food, variety is the key and should contain fiber. this is only a personal opinion but with goldfish and especially the fancy types swim bladder and constipation go hand in hand. I would also consider dropping a few grains of Epsom salt in the fish path to consume this would help reduce the risk of constipation

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
06 Jan 2008 14:08 #5 by NCDub (N Curran)
Replied by NCDub (N Curran) on topic Re:Sick Goldfish
Hi All,
Thanks for the tips. I tested the water and it is okay, it is changed weekly as well. I had a good filter in the tank (was rated for a 60l tank), but it packed in a few days ago, would imagine this is part of the problem, was away for 3days when it happened, so not sure how long the filter was in the water while not working. Will drop into the petshop later and pick something up.

Thanks.

More
06 Jan 2008 17:48 #6 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
that would explain some of the problem ok I still would look at food there is a \"supa\" product sinking looks like multi colour stones avoid, it will do more damage to water than feed fish nutri values are not great at all. skined peas and flake and variety is always key!

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
07 Jan 2008 18:09 #7 by Alkers (Simon Alvey)
Another thing that it might be? - Do you feed him flake food that floats at the surface of the water? Could be that he's ingesting air while feeding. Try a food that doesn't float and I've also heard people recommend feeding him some peas with their outer skin removed. Do this by putting a couple of pees in a small dish of water in the microwave for a minute or two then peeling off the skin, this is supposed to get rid of any \"trapped air\" :lol: inside the fish.
Best of luck.

More
08 Jan 2008 16:08 - 09 Jan 2008 12:25 #8 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re:Sick Goldfish
good point about the peas. I have goldfish that get constipated regularly and I give them peeled peas and it sorts them out.

@Micky I never heard of epsom salts in the water. have you tried it. Does it cause things to go too much the other way.:cheer: I dont want brow/green coloured water if possible.

@NCDUB . It sounds like swim bladder trouble which seems to go hand in hand with constipatiion as micky said. When my goldfish is constipated he swims slightly sideways but the peas sort him out. I also think that the sooner you get your filter problem sorted out the better. This should make a huge difference. Hope you fish feels better soon.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2008 12:25 by goldy (goldy .).

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds