Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sick Goldfish *help*

More
13 Jan 2008 20:38 #1 by Alkers (Simon Alvey)
Fish are less active than usual and they're tails seem to be seperating, I've had the fish in the picture for 25months. Any ideas what this is and what I should do? Waterchanges?
File Attachment:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2008 21:12 #2 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi, what are water conditions? how often/how do you do water changes, what else is in the tank? As much info. will help!

More
13 Jan 2008 22:15 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
yes a water change is called for 50%! and check your water! it looks like fin rot here is a link that will give you some useful information on treatment. i would also try \"tropic marin immuvit\" something i have recently been introduced to which i already find very helpful mix with Daphnia or blood worms and feed the fish in the normal manner remember remove any uneaten food

www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...w/id,19380/catid,30/

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
13 Jan 2008 22:33 - 13 Jan 2008 22:36 #4 by Alkers (Simon Alvey)
Hi,
I just moved the fish into a new tank yesterday. I kept 50% of the water from the old tank (aprrox 10L) and added around another 35L to the tank (it's not full atm). Should I change more water again? I use water conditioner etc... He had been showing symptoms for a day or so before-hand. He's now in a 54+ Litre tank with a small fantail goldfish who is displaying similar symptoms but not as noticeable. I did a 25% water change every week in the previous tank as it was small. I've only had the fantail about two weeks, possibly it brought this with it? Strange it seeemed perfectly healthy to start with? Where are any of the above treatments availible in Dublin? I've the day off tomorrow so will get them asap. I work weekends -> didn't have time to look into this sooner.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2008 22:36 by Alkers (Simon Alvey).

More
13 Jan 2008 23:39 - 13 Jan 2008 23:40 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
All our sponsors will carry effective treatment and will offer an other information you need. it is probably stress related but the smaller the tank the more you need to do water changes when you added the second fish it up set the balance but once treatment has been completed and the new tank is cycled all should return to normal. Just remember to remove your carbon filter before starting treatment.

Last edit: 13 Jan 2008 23:40 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods). Reason: spelling

More
16 Jan 2008 14:39 #6 by Alkers (Simon Alvey)
Despite my best efforts both fish were dead when I woke up this morning. They had been showing signs of improving. Is the fin rot contageous or is it safe to add new fish? I want to keep the tank cycled so how long can I leave it with no fish in it before the bacteria starts getting lost?
I'm thinking a 100% water change now and then new fish tomorrow?

More
16 Jan 2008 20:46 #7 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
i would treat the tank as contageous !!!!! personaly i would not restock till i was one 1000% sure i would not infect new stock that would be when it has been cleaned properly do i would wait till i got more replys before i take action some people might have other ideas or suggestions but do not restock till then

More
18 Jan 2008 15:19 #8 by Alkers (Simon Alvey)
So what do you reckon would be best? I've done a 100% water change and treated again yesterday with interpet anti fungal and fin rot. I'm adding fish food as if there was still fish in the tank in an effort to keep it cycled. Should I leave it for a few days for the meds to run their course or should I empty it and scrub it down?
Thanks for all the help.

More
19 Jan 2008 15:03 #9 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
To be honest, its easier to recycle a tank than having to keep buying new fish and meds.

So if it was me i'd empty and scrub, yes its another long boring process but it will definitely be worth it in the end.

But let us know how you're getting on with everything.

More
23 Jan 2008 23:54 #10 by Alkers (Simon Alvey)
So I haven't touched the tank since I last posted. I'm just after draining it, what should I do regarding cleaning it? Just rinse everything in tapwater or what?

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jan 2008 09:09 #11 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Sick Goldfish *help*
Don't use detergent (some say a very weal bleach mix is OK but I've never even risked that).
I'd just wash the gravel with tap water and then scald with boiling water.
Should be enough.
Wipe out the tank with hot clean cloth or scrub with a clean nailbrush, or whatever you like really.
Diseases will usually not survive the process, or at least they haven't on me.

Then you either cycle the tank from scratch or get some dirty filter media from someone here.

More
24 Jan 2008 12:15 #12 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
I use plain old lemons i would rub the tank down with the lemon, place a bowl or something that will hold boiling water with the pieces of lemon in it, cover the tank an hour or two later i rinse and wash the tank again allow to dry when dry wait one day then

More
28 Jan 2008 01:07 #13 by Coler (Coler)
sorry about the fish.

just noticing that you changed his tank; did you do anything to seed the filter in the new tank with bacteria ? if not, and you didn't e.g. use the same substrate, you basically had an uncycled tank.

as regards starting again, if you still have one cycled tank (the smaller one), you can do a proper clean of the bigger one, and just use the filter in the smaller one (in fact run a spare, the one you're going to use in the bigger tank) and hey presto instant (practically) cycle...

More
28 Jan 2008 01:56 #14 by Alkers (Simon Alvey)
The tank that I moved the goldfish into was my old tropical tank. It had been running for about 18months then it was empty for about a month before I moved the goldfish in. During this time I ran the filter from it in my new tropical tank (Juwel Vision 180) so it shouldn't have lost it's cycle.
Substrate was the same but had been left dry for some time.
I treated all water with conditioner and let the water heat to 19C before I moved the fish, I even brought a good portion of the water from the old tank.
No I have three tanks, the old goldfish tank which now has a male Betta in it, the tank the goldfish died in which has been empty since the fish died and will now be uncycled and my tropical tank.
At a loss now as of what to do with the middle tank.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds