Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Moveing Koi

More
18 Jan 2008 12:18 #1 by arabu1973 (. .)
Moveing Koi was created by arabu1973 (. .)
Hi guys
I need advice in moving my koi. At the moment they are in a fish tank, they lived all of their life in tanks, but now i would like to put them in the pond with the other koi i have. what would be the best way to do it? can i put them in now or i have to wait until april, may? the tank temp is 20-23 but the pond temp is 8-12. thanx

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2008 12:36 - 18 Jan 2008 12:39 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Moveing Koi
Hello;
For what it's worth I would strongly advise against you moving your Koi, even if you balanced the temperatures from the tank to that of the pond now, it would be far too much of a shock...even for Carp !!!

Best wait until late April/early May, when the temperature in your pond will have started to rise, but even then only do it very gradually, bring the Carp's water temperature slowly down over a period of days then put them into a large container which you can float into the pond (covered if you have any cats nearby), allowing the two temperatures to equalise and only after they've been equal for a couple of hours should you slowly submerge part of the container to allow the Carp to swim out by themselves.
This may not be actually quite good enough if you have a large pH differential between the tank and the pond water, in which case 'equalisation' will need to be very much more careful, paying attention to both temperature and pH.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2008 12:39 by JohnH (John). Reason: misspelt word and left one word out altogether !!!

More
18 Jan 2008 18:41 #3 by arabu1973 (. .)
Replied by arabu1973 (. .) on topic Re:Moveing Koi
thanx john
i tought so, i just wanted to make sure. i'll still enjoy looking at them in the tank. by may i think they'll be to big for the tank so it will be a nice change for them to be put in the pond

More
18 Jan 2008 23:18 #4 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi arabu1973,

have to agree with John totally the wrong time of year for moving fish. do i would even start to bring your temp down now. I would suggest you start using rain water as a source of water changes then in April mix pond and rain water 5% at first and then increase use the time you have thus avoiding any stress. do be very careful of the risk of cross contamination.

but check your water carefully if i remember right you are going to house Discus in the tank next? so i would suggest you then strip and sterilise the tank. not some i have done myself but talking to others this would seem to be the way to go but i could be wrong.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
18 Jan 2008 23:33 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Moveing Koi
If he sees this Fr Jack will probably tell you to put the Discus in the pond and keep \"any colour you like so long as it's blue or yellow\" Malawis...or, even worse, Marine Clown Fish...he has one in his freezer he could sell you cheaply...

:o) :o) :o)

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
19 Jan 2008 22:48 #6 by arabu1973 (. .)
Replied by arabu1973 (. .) on topic Re:Moveing Koi
well guys i have to wait until may so until then i'll have them in the tank but after that i'll give a go at keeping discus, if that doesn't works i'll try angelfish, my missus loves them, or another way for me to get one more tank for them, hi hi

More
19 Jan 2008 23:52 #7 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
i like your thinking:laugh:

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds