Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

clouding smelly water

More
23 Jan 2008 13:11 - 23 Jan 2008 13:12 #1 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2)
my friend has a little tank prob 40-60 ltr with gold fish
the problem is the water keeps going cloudy and smells.
he was using black chipped rock as his base
i thought this was making the water go discoloured.
but i gave him plan stone and it has happened AGAIN.
it has to be the water he is using.he lives near the foothills of the mountains
wicklow i guess.but he drinks the water all the time.
the guy is a total beginner so he has no readings of the water.
im going to give him my testing kit to see what is wrong.
he also has no filter.

i doubt its the food.
what can he do if it is the water ?????

o'connor
Last edit: 23 Jan 2008 13:12 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2008 14:41 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
I would say it is the combination of food and no filter plus the fact gold fish are champion s**T machines.

first and fore most a water changes and add a filter a must!!!!

I would look at the food there is a cheap supafood looks like coloured pellets this will cloud the water some thing terrible. the smell is more than likely rotten food and ammonia give the stones a good hovering and i say again water changes plenty of small (no more than 50%)water changes. i would wash the stones as well the tank will need to cycle so this would be the only time i would do this if you could add some water from a tank that is already set up it will give it a boost in the right direction. or if some one could give some medium from there tank that would be even better and a big plus too!!!!!!

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2008 16:20 #3 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:clouding smelly water
Yep, tell the guy to change that water immediately.
And don't worry about cycling the tank, if the water is polluted already with fish and food waste, the water changes are the regime he needs to get into.
I'd say its inexperience thats the problem, not water quality, but thats just a hunch.

More
23 Jan 2008 18:04 - 23 Jan 2008 18:04 #4 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2)
after a day or two of changing water is goes dirty etc
he really shouldnt need to change it everyday

o'connor
Last edit: 23 Jan 2008 18:04 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2).

More
23 Jan 2008 18:24 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Then its the food plus the fish digging for the food trapped in the sub strata. If it was the water your friend would be in hospital if he was lucky. Water changes and reduce the food a filter is a must again check the food type as well there is good food, bad food and some food might as well be poison. if you don't have a filter you need to do at very least one water change per day on a small tank. small tank = more work

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
23 Jan 2008 23:56 #6 by Alkers (Simon Alvey)
I would say daily waterchanges would be needed without a filter. Even with a filter they will be needed untill the tank has cycled.

More
29 Jan 2008 15:37 #7 by nonie (leonie troy)
A filter is defo required. I was having trouble with the water due to rotten food and I changed from flakes to pellets this may be a solution as only two to tree pellets are used per fish.

• FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2008 22:57 #8 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Replied by FreakyFish (FreakyFish) on topic Re:clouding smelly water
Hey cathaloc2,

How many fish does your friend have in that tank? If the tank is overstocked in anyway the water will surely cloud. Has he got a filter for the tank yet and some of the food recommended by others?

How are the water conditions now, is the water still clouding? What readings did he report back to you?

Hope all is good.

Regards,
Aisling

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds