Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Mixing different species of goldfish

More
30 Jan 2008 18:34 #1 by nonie (leonie troy)
I have been keeping orandas for a number of years now but want to upgrade to a bigger tank. The one I have at the moment is 25l and it is home to two orandas. I want to get a bigger tank and put in different species such as fantails or moor etc etc (not too sure yet) but I do not know if the two orandas will be ok! I was reading on other forums that plecos, danios and guppies can be mixed with golfish but I have my doubts on this one. Does anyone have any advice to give me!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2008 20:09 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
There are quite a variety of sub-tropical fish that can be mixed, white mountain minnows are an excellent choice, depending on the tank you could also consider hillstream loaches or weather loaches. There are quite a lot out there, research is the key and do it before purchasing a new tank so that you get maximum effect of your tank and variety of fish.

Remember not all \"tropical\" fish are truly tropical, quite a number are sub-tropical and can happily survive at modern room temp Rosy Barb I believe is a prime example.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2008 21:04 #3 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Replied by FreakyFish (FreakyFish) on topic Re:Mixing different species of goldfish
I have a hillstream loach in with my fancy and they get along great, both fish are quite dominant in their on way. As mwdragondk mentioned mountain minnows they are great and really easy to care for, plus they get along extremely well with goldies.

I really enjoy my loach, they are great fun to watch eating. He is still in a quarantine tank until he gets bigger, then he can go in with the bigger ones.

I also had a few minnows a few years ago and they all got along fine.

Kind regards,
Aisling

More
05 Feb 2008 13:03 #4 by nonie (leonie troy)
Thanks for the help! I have now got a few more orandas, a veiltail and a few minnows which are great to watch and I hope to introduce a few more fish in a few weeks time! (Dont want to put too many new one in together as the quality of the fish where I but them is a bit hit n miss sometimes) But sadly when I got home one of the orandas was sick and is now in quarentine and one of the minnows died yeaterday :(. I just hope its not a sign of things to come!!

Thanks again,

Leonie

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds