Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Price of Goldfish

• FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
  • FreakyFish (FreakyFish)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2008 18:13 #1 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Price of Goldfish was created by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
I have always bought my goldfish young and at fairly good prices. I was looking at goldfish the other day which were very big and they were more than double the price. They seemed a little expensive, so I am just wondering what the general price of a bigger goldfish compared to a smaller one might be.

Thanking you in advance,
Aisling

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2008 19:49 #2 by nonie (leonie troy)
Hi Aisling,

i would usually pay about €5 - 10 for mine but it does depnd on where and what you are buying! How much are you paying?

More
04 Feb 2008 20:10 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi Aisling,
There are a number of things that will effect the cost of fish(all types) the same as everything else.

I personally would class the term Goldfish as a banner name.
you have comets, fantails and lionheads. here is a link which will give you more ideas what i mean www.goldfishinfo.com/variet.htm

The other thing that must be consider is the time and thus the cost related to growing fish to this size. the cost of food and meds and any special food and of course quality of the fish in question.

Good quality fish from a respected breeder will always carry a higher price!

I hope this helps
Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2008 01:28 #4 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Replied by FreakyFish (FreakyFish) on topic Re:Price of Goldfish
Sorry I should have been more specific. Yes I know that different goldfish vary greatly in price. I was in a pet shop the other day and I was told all the bigger fish were 25€, and it didn't matter what breed they were. They all looked very healthy, I was interest in a veiltail, which was very nice but I still thought 25 was way too much, just wondering was I right not to buy. I would be interested in buying but I just don't know what I should be paying for a bigger fish as I always buy from young no matter their breed.

Btw, does anyone know where I can buy a stock tank around 300 gal?

More
05 Feb 2008 03:35 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
i have to say you get what you pay for but you just have to shop around. but locally (Dundalk)and Navan about the same. And with club discount it would be less as well.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
05 Feb 2008 13:10 #6 by nonie (leonie troy)
Aisling i do have to agree with mwdragondk, you do get what you pay for!! I it might be better to shop around even ringing some of the other petshops to see what they have in stock and compare prices!! I see you are looking for a stock tank - if you stick it up on the wanted forum you never know you might get lucky as they can be alot cheaper!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2008 00:01 #7 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Replied by FreakyFish (FreakyFish) on topic Re:Price of Goldfish
Suppose you are right in saying you get what you pay for. These fish are huge and I am not sure on age but the look very healthy too. To be honest, I have been to a lot of pet stores around my area and have never seen big goldfish for sale. I really do need to shop around more. Can anyone recommend somewhere on the North side of Dublin that they know sells big orandas, lionheads or Ryukin?

Thanks,
Aisling

P.S. Thanks nonie, I will put an add up for one in that section. ;)

More
06 Feb 2008 11:49 #8 by nonie (leonie troy)
Hi Aisling,

I have not seen any biggies in any of the places I have visited in fact the selection was not great to be honest, if you think the ones you were looking at seem healthy then I would go with it as alot of the goldfish around seem to be of poor quality. (IMO of course). where did you see the them as I would be interested in getting some :)

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2008 14:46 #9 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Price of Goldfish
FreakyFish wrote:

I really do need to shop around more. Can anyone recommend somewhere on the North side of Dublin that they know sells big orandas, lionheads or Ryukin?

Hi there, if you are talking about the big goldfish on sale in whackers on the longmile road at the mo I'd snap them up at 25 quid as they are huge & absolute stunners.

If not - you should check out the goldfish in whackers on the longmile road ;)

I saw them last week but didn't notice a price, I've not seen fancy goldfish that size before..

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds