Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

import

• Garry Mc (Garry Mc)
  • Garry Mc (Garry Mc)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2008 13:14 #1 by Garry Mc (Garry Mc)
import was created by Garry Mc (Garry Mc)
im off on holiday to Hong Kong and was wondering if i could bring back som fish from the (GOLD FISH MARKET) its supposed to be brilliant....

ive been looking up this for the last 3 days and am still a little confused about the process....
has any body got experience importing?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2008 17:49 #2 by Tom (Tom Brecknell)
Replied by Tom (Tom Brecknell) on topic Re:import
PM Gerry Evans I think he knows.......Tom.B)

• Garry Mc (Garry Mc)
  • Garry Mc (Garry Mc)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2008 22:02 #3 by Garry Mc (Garry Mc)
Replied by Garry Mc (Garry Mc) on topic Re:import
what do you mean

More
08 Feb 2008 22:16 #4 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
He means send a message to the user, Gerard Evans, he may have some info on importing fish from Hong Kong. His profile is

www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...userProfile/user,66/

Daragh

More
08 Feb 2008 22:40 #5 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
Replied by Darkrin (Damien Kane) on topic Re:import
simple answer is no.
Where would you up put them??
Hand luggage??:laugh:

Customs wouldn't allow you to leave hong Kong!
You could try send them by freight/cargo air, but would it be would it?? they'd probably get home before you and sit in the freezing cold cargo terminal at Dublin airport etc etc
Cold water, especially, need to be inspected by Dept of Agriculture(jezus i hate them!!)on arrival!!

As an importer, this whole process is stressful, but at least there is some one on the other end organizing it from there end!!!

Go and enjoy your holiday.

Dayo ;)

More
08 Feb 2008 22:53 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I think I would agree with Damien on this one, I have imported fish from the UK and from Czech Rep., a stressful and expensive process. If there is something that you really want that you have not seen here, put an add in the wanted section and maybe one of the sponsors will get it for you, I made a wish list and I have got hold of most of them now thanks to a couple of the sponsors.

More
08 Feb 2008 23:01 #7 by komalley (K OM)
Replied by komalley (K OM) on topic Re:import
Hi,

Nothing to do with your post re: fish imports from Hong Kong.

I was there in September and you have to do the night cruise in order to appreciate the light show. Take a tram ride and watch how the local population relate to you and Stanley market I found was a bit disappointng.

Apologies to the other fishkeepers for this 'tourist guide'

kom :(

More
08 Feb 2008 23:06 #8 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic Re:import
And I don't reccommend the pickled jellyfish either.I LOVE seafood,and try everthing I can,but that was just disgusting.Like a bowl of jelly,but sort of a 'crunchy' texture.1st mouthful came out faster than it went in.

Dave.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
09 Feb 2008 03:05 #9 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Replied by serratus (Drew Latimer) on topic Re:import
Yes must agree, we are a direct importer (like Damien) and it is difficult... You are gonna need to fill a box at least, you will pay a huge amount on the freight for one box never mind tax,import licence etc.... then hassel of conditioning them.. i wouldnt bother!!!
I have importer XL fish from South America etc. and as for an example, 20\" fish €8.47 WOW BRILL.....
FREIGHT ON THAT FISH ETC.. €90-!! this is only an example. but im sure you get what i mean!

More
09 Feb 2008 04:03 #10 by Gerard_Evans (Gerard Evans)
I have to agree with Damien and Drew it is impossible to bring in fish as hand luggage and as drew says the complications and expense is just to much,

This is why we have the lfs they take on all the pressure and you then get fish from them. Also some people think you can fly to england and bring fish back as habnd luggage but no airlines except this manner any more.

More
09 Feb 2008 11:05 - 09 Feb 2008 11:07 #11 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
hi Garry Mc,
everything that is said here i agree with its not worth the hassle you spend hours looking to get the licence to export then you have to pay a fee to get them checked over before leaving Hong Kong. And then

well your new pet spends the next six months banged up before you get them.

Now its different buying from a wholesale/breeder. they will organise all of the above but i will give you an example with guppy's.
1 bag will have between 20 -100
1 box will have about five bags
minimum order depending on type
is one box but it cost 750 Minimum + freight and health etc
for standard types the minimum is 4 boxes

or do like i done went round got plenty of pictures and when i got home i showed my pictures to my then Lfs with the name etc and he was able to get them in as part of an order.

And I am sure any of our SPONSORS will be more than happy to do the same!!

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods
Last edit: 09 Feb 2008 11:07 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods).

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds