Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

cold water algae eaters?

More
23 Mar 2008 15:01 #1 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Hi,
I currently have three tanks, one of which is a small 60ltr coldwater. It is currently home to 3 fantails and 5 white cloud minnows. would like to get algae eater, would have to be o.k with hard water and not grow too large. I have heard that cold water algae eaters die fast, is this true? do not want to get snails. tank has been running for over ten years, so is well matured.

Has anyone any suggestions???

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2008 15:13 - 23 Mar 2008 15:18 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi oog1111,
Just a quick question or two!

Is there a lot of water movement in your tank?

And some hiding place?

what type filter are you using?

and your PH and temp?

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods
Last edit: 23 Mar 2008 15:18 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods). Reason: ask for more info

More
23 Mar 2008 15:21 #3 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
plenty of hiding places, fast flowing water, but can be adjusted to slow if needed

More
23 Mar 2008 15:21 #4 by goldy (goldy .)
possibly hill stream loach could go well ithe tank if there is plenty of movement as mickey has asked. They like to have a raised area to sit in the flow of the water aswel.

More
23 Mar 2008 15:40 #5 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
that sounds good. temp is at room temp, no heater have never needed one. p.H. i've never checked to be honest, but I know that my tap water is around 7.5. algae grows on two sides of glass and on some granite stones and plants.(this is all because i moved it opposite a window, but I like it better there. I have algae eaters in my trop tank and find them super efficient.) will the hillstream loach take care of the glass?

More
23 Mar 2008 15:43 #6 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Nessa great minds think alike!

Yes i was thing of hill stream loaches some times sold as Hong Kong plecs(wrong wrong wrong). they are verity of very beautiful loaches that need movement in the water.

they have got a slightly bad rep because people have been given the wrong info.

there is plenty of choice and info out there.
and which one will suite you depends on availabilty and Your water

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
23 Mar 2008 15:49 #7 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
great stuff guys!! thanks for the help, shall go do a bit of research and see if I will be able to find them.

More
31 Mar 2008 20:30 #8 by Trimax (Trimax)
Hi, Im not sure of the common name but you should try get your hands on some Beaufortia Leveretti, A small fish that can tolerate temps between 18 and 24 degrees C . Needs a strong current and Oxygen rich water. They Grow to about 10 - 12 cm.
They are also very sensitive to water quality and require at least Weekly Partial water changes and good filtration. Don't house with larger Goldfish and Especially Larger Koi as they will happily eat them. Because most of the Leveretti come from Singapore and the like they need careful quarintine proceedures and treatment for parasites before adding to the main tank, However most good fish stores will have already looked after this end of things for you. In saying that I belive all fishkeepers should have a small quarintine facility available just to be safe. The most improtant rule when buying Imported fish that can tolerate Irelands climate is never ever release into the wild.

More
01 Apr 2008 10:50 #9 by goldy (goldy .)
I found out the hard way about quarantining fish. I suppose thats how most people learn that lesson. I have to say that I am now probably a bit paranoid about quarantining fish but when you wipe out a tank by introducing some form of parasite you wont forget to quarantine again in a hurry.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds