Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

POOR WEE THING!!!!

More
16 Apr 2008 17:13 #1 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
having one of those weeks!

well i discovered that one of my lionheads had trapped then removed himself the poor wee thing is a sorry sight!

I have to say I was suprised he has survied this long! But since he wants to fight i will do all i can to help him!

each day i do a water change and a he gets a in bath meth blue and tonic salt.

I take him from his tank and place him in a spare tank this allows me to both check him over and when i remove him from the bath wash all excess treatment off before returning him to his tank.

the tank i add half dose of melafix morning and night and i got my esha this morning so i will be using it in the same way.

and now its just wait and see!

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2008 17:36 #2 by zale (Mark carroll)
Jes, what he get caught in Mickey a blender.
Fair play, a lot of people wouldn't bother and I see your feeding it coleslaw it should be right as rain in no time.... :-)

Mark

More
16 Apr 2008 18:18 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
No he turns his nose up when it comes to coleslaw he love the drum because after a few minutes swimming it he gets a cube of bloodworms to himself. in the main tank the other two get a share.

the problem was i used those ancient world/Egypt styled ornaments and i reckon the plec had fit and trapped him.

but he seem to prefare to stay in the main tank with his mates(the fat head club)the white clouds and weather loaches.
not a great picture of the fat head club

i think Cathrine and me were more stressed than he was.

More
16 Apr 2008 19:14 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Hang in there, that fish will survive! I was missing my Cardinal tetra one morning and couldnt seem to figure out where it was. There isnt fish in the tank that would eat him so I knew it had to be somewhere. I searched for a while and eventually saw he had been sucked into the filter. I could see him through the green container wedged between the sponge and the container. I presumed he was a goner and was going to remove him but upon closer inspection I realised it was still breathing. I took him out v carefully and put him back into the main tank. He sank to the bottom and I really didnt think he would make it through the day. He also had a cut on his back presumably from being sucked up the filter! However within 2 or 3 days he wasa back shoaling with the other tetras in the tank.So fast forward 3 months now and he is still swimming around happily! So hope you have a success story also,its when you get attached to fish that you really know youve got the fishkeeping bug!!!

More
16 Apr 2008 21:39 #5 by goldy (goldy .)
sorry to see he is hurt mickey. I have seen a goldfish much worse off then him and he survived. I posted pics ages ago and now you wouldnt think it was even the same fish. He didnt get the tlc treatment either. his filter was cleaned and he got a water change and that was about it so it just goes to show that they are hardy enough. the sad part is that it breaks your heart to see them hurt and you get attached to them. oh well hope he gets better really soon.

nessa

More
16 Apr 2008 21:54 #6 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Mickey that coleslaw is BBF Aug 04 no wonder its blue :lol:
thats a fair wound to get
hope he gets better

Donal

More
16 Apr 2008 23:44 #7 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
LimerickBandit wrote:

Mickey that coleslaw is BBF Aug 04 no wonder its blue :lol:
thats a fair wound to get
hope he gets better

Donal

I've had that bath so long it was more like 1904.(oops showing my age again):laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

it grand he dont mind so long as there are bloodworms or daphina at the end. still in the next lot of pictures he should be look more like his old self and he is not camera shy any time again so long as there are.......:laugh: :laugh:

More
17 Apr 2008 01:16 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
bloody hell thats a nice gash, you seem to be doing one hell of a job treating him, with that
much tlc he should be fine in no time, glad for him he's got a caring owner like you
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
15 Sep 2008 22:37 #9 by john kelly (John Kelly)
hi all i was just reading that story,it brings back memories of my 12\" weather loach ...

had him for like 3 or 4yrs he went from cold water gold fish who ended in a pond to tropical tinfoil barbs which ended in brittas caust they ate my ciclids ..... any how i couldnt find him for cople of days but that was noting new he would often hide under the sand and stone . after a few more days i could get that funny smell in my room ... opened my tank and omg it was horrible .:S :S :S found him down the sde of the filter ( the box filter that comes with most tanks ) poor thing had gone in the top hole beside the heater and got stuck down the side and couldnt get back out :( :( :( i had him since day one when he was 2\" saw him get much larger over time could never bring my self to get another .... maby now i have my external 405 he could go in with my ciclids :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: only messing ...

More
16 Sep 2008 09:54 #10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Mickey,
Did the lionhead survive?

Gavin

More
21 Sep 2008 18:17 #11 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi folks,
well he survived and was doing well till i was in Berlin came home to find he has been attacked and is now back were he started just hope he has it in him to pull through again

Mickey

More
21 Sep 2008 18:37 #12 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Once a fighter.....always a fighter. I just saved a cory today from the back of the filter!
Gavin

More
21 Sep 2008 19:14 #13 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
So true!!!!!!!!

More
23 Sep 2008 21:41 #14 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi folks,
sorry about the delay in the up date.

I am sorry to say my wee friend has passed on to bluer waters! His condition was to advanced and there was little i or any one could do.

It is fair to say it was a miracle he survived so long considering his story!!

i got him an two others young and with some of the worst cases of white spot i have seen i was hoping to save one which gives you some idea of their condition. but with prompt action and good food and TLC all three pulled through till now.

then his previous accident which was traumatic and was still recovering but up till my holiday i was able to monitor him daily but in life we have no control and while away another fish took the opportunity to attack nature way and on my return shock and infection had become to advanced

But it has to be said in his short life he was a shinning example of what proper care attention and experience will do
and reading post here was a major part of it the shared experience
Mickey

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Sep 2008 21:50 #15 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:POOR WEE THING!!!!
Aww, Mickey ! Sorry to hear that he did not make it. Especially after pulling through his previous adventure ! :-(

Valerie

More
23 Sep 2008 22:00 #16 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Sorry Mickey to hear you lost the wee thing. In fairness after the last pics I saw I didnt think it would survive past that week but in fairness you managed to nurse it back to health. Im presently awaiting 3 rummy nose tetra to pass away,I introduced 17 of them this week and knew not all of them would survive,upside down now and breathing heavily. I should really let them out of there misery but again nature has a way of doing these things.
Gavin

More
24 Sep 2008 00:10 #17 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Thanks Valerie and Gavin
and fingers crossed Gavin

More
24 Sep 2008 09:32 #18 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
No such luck :( 4 of them gone now since I introduced them but thankfully the remainder of them look healthy and are getting redder by the day. Fingers crossed they will keep schooling together as they are easier to count that way also!!
Gavin

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds