Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

anyone ever set up a native marine tank

More
13 Jul 2008 17:35 #1 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
hi everyone,i've a spare rekord 70 tank in my shed that i'd like to do something different with,at the last cfks meeting there was talks of doing a shore walk around september,i think it'd be great to bring a few species home,has anyone ever set up a tank for this and what exactly would be involved,dont know if a two foot tank would even be big enough,anyone got any ideas?

looking forward to any input as i think it'd be great if i could do it

Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2008 18:17 #2 by komalley (K OM)
Paul,

I think setting up a native marine tank and the steps involved in the same are to be discussed at the CFKS meeting on friday.....

If you remember Peter from Aquapaws who was at the last meeting...what he doesn't know about native marines isn't worth remembering....

KOM

More
13 Jul 2008 18:17 #3 by komalley (K OM)
Paul,

I think setting up a native marine tank and the steps involved in the same are to be discussed at the CFKS meeting on friday.....

If you remember Peter from Aquapaws who was at the last meeting...what he doesn't know about native marines isn't worth remembering....

KOM

More
13 Jul 2008 18:31 #4 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
ya,it was peter that put the idea into my head,just wanted some ideas before the meeting,so i'll have plenty of questions for him,i've got a head like a sieve so i'm probably better off if i can keep going back and reading it,looking forward to the next meeting,sounds like it should be great

Paul

More
13 Jul 2008 21:03 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
It would be great to see a native marine tank. it some thing well worth a look at i have considered one myself, do i was considering something along the lines of rock pools you will see at low tide. i could spend hours watching this micro system if i could keep the dogs out of the water long enough long enough :evil: :evil: :evil:

It is something we should consider more fish from Ireland and our waters have some amazing qualities that are so under rated and should be preserved before they are lost!

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
14 Jul 2008 02:11 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi Guys, yep Peter is your man for this project he kept native marines for years and what he dosen't know about them is very very little, pm him his forum name is mbuna ( guess what he's into now then ) he'd be delighted to help as he loved this aspect of his fishkeeping \"career\"
as far as i'm aware he'll be at fridays meeting and if you cant make it then he should most definately be at the \"GRAND OPENING\" of the new store on Saturday
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
14 Jul 2008 21:45 #7 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
Cheers guys,i'll be at the meeting on friday,i'll have a chat with peter if i'm not in to see him before that,probably be in during the week but i'd imagine he'll be pretty busy with the opening coming up,not really in a rush anyway

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2008 07:58 #8 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:anyone ever set up a native marine tank
There's an article in this month's PFK about setting up a native marine tank.

I've considered it before & it seems for a lot of species you need to have a chiller on your tank to keep it cool enough.
These are seemingly expensive to buy & to run.

The rock pool dwellers are hardier though & once you can keep it at 22 degrees & lower they do fine.
Lots of cool species in rock pools too!

Very interested to see how you get on.

More
15 Jul 2008 08:23 #9 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
Paul, as part of the Galway Arts festival, there's a beach walk type-of-thing on Grattan Beach in Salthill, next Sunday afternoon. It's supposed to be an exploration of the rockpools and the like. It might give you some ideas.

I can't find any info about it on-line but I think it's mentioned in Galway First.....

170L Bowfront Community Tank : Heavily planted : CO2 : T5 lighting

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2008 09:32 #10 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:anyone ever set up a native marine tank
Thanks for highlighting this ...

As per the article ...

It's organised by Galway City Council and Atlantaquaria for the 20th of July at 2pm.
For more information, contact Atlantaquaria @ 091 585100 or the Environment Education Officer of the Galway City Council @ 091 536 564.

Hope this helps.
Valerie

More
02 Aug 2008 10:21 #11 by Gavin (Gavin)
I did one a few years back.Very rewarding.Had to install a chiller though and they can be a bit on the pricey side.Used to lope off and get my water from where I was collecting...I'd always see something else worth ploping in.The best bart was that I had no idea what species they were till I got home and looked them up.Bit of a gamble but It always worked out.My fave was a tiny molva molva fry.Tiny being about six inches.Took him out when I realised he woulg get to 50lbs!

dont make me come over there.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Aug 2008 13:32 #12 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:anyone ever set up a native marine tank
You sure it was a ling & not a rockling Gavin?
Would be unusual to get even juvenile ling in shallow water.

Rockling look very similar & would be common around the coast.

More
04 Aug 2008 13:55 #13 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
There is a good artical in this months Practical fishkeeping about native marines, it was a good read

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds