Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Salt bath

More
08 Feb 2009 19:53 #1 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Salt bath was created by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Could someone explain to me how a salt bath works with goldfish.I have read some things about it but i could do with the short version.Some of my fancy goldfish have started darting around the tank and rubbing off the gravel.It looks like ick and it only started today as all was fine last night.Would a salt bath help or what is the best treatment.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 16:27 #2 by pets and ponds (cees and catherine de snoo murphy)
hello,orca,there is no harm to give a goldfish a salt bath,on the contrary,you can put an amount of salt in the tank he swims in.The solution is 1.5% to 3%.This will kill a lot of parasites and harmfull bacteria.A salt bath is about 10% to 15% for a very short period(1 to 2 minutes).It is also very good for the developing of a healthy slime skin.In the koi hobby it is widely used to prevent illnes and against gill fluke.So,to keep the goldfish in a tank with a little salt will be very beneficial for them.Greetings,Cees

More
09 Feb 2009 20:29 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi Orca,
i agree with Cees, i use it regularly do for baths i use tonic salt and for longer period in the tank i use marine salt i just go to a LFS with marines and buy/borrow a few grams for the tank.

Do i do not have them and can not confirm take care were
Hillstream loaches are in the tank.

do maybe some one else has experience with this!

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
09 Feb 2009 22:02 #4 by keitho (keith o reilly)
can the salt bath be done on cichlids if so how do u go about doing it

thanks keitho

Dublin 24

More
10 Feb 2009 10:11 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi keitho
salt baths can be used on a lot of fish but some corys,cats and plecs will not like it or could be dangerous to them.

this link shows you were i treated a lion head that got mangled using a bath
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...ew/catid,1/id,33896/

met blue should never be used in a main tank as it kills friendly bacteria but in a bath its ok

Baths are also an ideal method to treat worse cases were meds are used at reduced levels for what ever reason.

mickey

More
10 Feb 2009 10:22 - 10 Feb 2009 10:23 #6 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
mickeywallace wrote:

Baths are also an ideal method to treat worse cases were meds are used at reduced levels for what ever reason.

mickey

Would a medicated bath be the way to treat a single fish with caudal fin rot? O does the fish need to be permanently in medication to get rid of the fin rot?

Tks.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2009 10:23 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire).

More
10 Feb 2009 11:08 #7 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi tm2204,
baths have their merits. and are very useful but they are a scaled down isolation tank reduce cost some what and are ideal for worst cases.

Yes you could use this method to treat it.

BUT!!!!!! it will not stop it spreading to other fish.

and it requires time you may have to use this a few times a day for best effect!!!!!

Mickey

More
12 Feb 2009 16:44 #8 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Replied by Orca (Eoin Walsh) on topic Re:Salt bath
Thank you all for the info and i will try a salt bath soon it sounds like it will be very good for my fish and such an easy treatment.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds