Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

hot to cold

More
25 Mar 2009 12:34 #1 by Nemo (Tracey Forde)
Hi,

Just looking for some more of that wonderful advice I always get here.

We have an Elite 60 tank for the last 7 months and while its being amazing i'm very sadly having to give it up. Cost and time commitments being the two main factors.

I'm going to keep the tank as a cold water tank which I heard is a lot less maintenance and lower cost long term.

I didn't want to just have gold fish - there a bit too ordinary.

Would any one have any advice on how to change over and whats fish would be suitable?

Many thanks

Nemo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2009 12:49 #2 by arabu1973 (. .)
Replied by arabu1973 (. .) on topic Re:hot to cold
You could add some white cloud minnows, yellow white cloud minnows, hillstream loaches and corydoras barbatus

More
25 Mar 2009 12:57 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
HI Nemo,
I am sad to here this! but before i would give any advice i would ask the size of the tank and the filter you have? also what your current stock and temp is.

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Mar 2009 13:45 #4 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:hot to cold
To be honest I wouldn't think you will have much of a saving on either cost or maintenance on changing from tropical to coldwater...

The only saving you will make is on your heater & if this is only a 60 litre tank that won't be much of a cost anyway...

More
25 Mar 2009 16:43 #5 by Nemo (Tracey Forde)
Replied by Nemo (Tracey Forde) on topic Re:hot to cold
Would you not safe on the amount of chemicals, food and filters needed?

We have 2 small goldfish in a bowl - there food is €5.95 per 6 months and there is no real work on them - 3 weekly changes. We have them over 4 years.

We have a heater but i assume the tempretue without t is room temp - it is currently at 26C

More
25 Mar 2009 19:25 - 25 Mar 2009 19:27 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Ok this a case of simply not knowing the difference between tropical and coldwater fish. The heater is the only difference. The same principles apply to the coldwater variety,there seems to be a myth out there that just because a fish can survive in a bowl of coldwater then it is hardier than the warm water fish. Yes the goldfish are hardier fish to an extend, however they still require oxygen so hence a filter needs to be provided also to ensure the water stays clean and also goldfish actually produce more waste than the average tropical fish. So chemicals are still required to treat the water for chlorine etc... remember its still a fish, the basics remain the same regardless of tropical or coldwater fish. The filter Ive already explained, and yes its v necessary as they do produce alot of waste and finally the food is the same as the tropical fish also. Flake food is cheap as chips these days.
I hate to ask but do you treat the water each time you do your 3 weekly water changes on those goldfish, how much water is in the bowl and how big are the fish. If they are alive for 4 years then well done but it doesnt mean they are necessarily healthy. I hope Im not coming across harsh here,it just that I get annoyed at time by people keeping fish in a round bowl with no filter and no proper water conditions. Just because a fish lives, doesnt mean its enjoying itself.
Again sorry if Ive come across harsh here but I really get annoyed by these type of things. If you do treat the water and all that on each occassion then I apologise!!
The coldwater fish will survive fine without the heater, goldfish dont require a heater,they will survive in warmer waters but it spurts their growth and is far from ideal. Finally may I ask what you plan on doing to the fish if you replace them with other fish??

Gavin
Last edit: 25 Mar 2009 19:27 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds