Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Weather Loaches and other fish

• Penguin (Penguin)
  • Penguin (Penguin)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Jan 2007 06:22 #1 by Penguin (Penguin)
Weather Loaches and other fish was created by Penguin (Penguin)
I had 2 goldfish in a 120 litre tank and when one of them died after 6 years, once I was sure the water was stable, I decided to get the remaining goldfish (fantail, 2 inches long) a companion. Didn't want another goldfish, so the local petshop recommended a weather loach, and sold me a bell decoration so the loach would have somewhere to hide. I brought the loach home and he seems very happy and active. Didn't have time to research him in the last 3 months since I had him, and now that I have, I think even though the dojo loach and the goldfish seem happy, I should probably change my set-up as loaches are schooling fish.

Ideally, I'd like to simply buy another 2-3 weather loaches, as I love my current guy. But I am afraid that my 120 litre tank (with strong fluval filter, very stable water conditions, some plastic plants and medium sized, dark gravel) is too small. I cannot currently upgrade to a bigger tank due to where we live, but could get a bigger tank within 2 years or so. I am also thinking I should probably provide more hiding spaces for the loach(es) and change at least one part of the gravel for sand so the loach(es) will have somewhere to burrow.

So what do you think? Can I add to my current tank, should I stay with the one loach until I can upgrade, or am I totally mad and should return the loach I currently have? Is there any other cold water fish which would go well with this set-up?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jan 2007 09:29 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Weather Loaches and other fish
what size are your goldfish?

• Penguin (Penguin)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jan 2007 16:38 #3 by Penguin (Penguin)
Replied by Penguin (Penguin) on topic Re: Weather Loaches and other fish
There is only one of them- he's about 2 inches in body and another inch in tail (as he is a fantail, though not as "bulbous" as other fantails I have seen). I only have the one goldfish and one loach, for now.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2007 07:06 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Weather Loaches and other fish
I'm no authority on this but 2 more loaches shouldn't cause to much of a problem if you are intending to upgrade your tank in the near future. also add some bogwood so they can hide

• Penguin (Penguin)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2007 16:20 #5 by Penguin (Penguin)
I bought two more weather loaches on Friday. They seem to be doing well!

The two new loaches are quite small (1.5 and 2 inches), and the smaller one is thin-ish, but not overly so. They are grey rather than the golden colour of my oldtimer. The two newbies often sit together the way I read about, but the oldtimer seems to prefer his own company- I hope I haven't changed his behavious irrevokably by keeping him alone for 3+ months!

• alan_co9 (alan_co9)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2007 20:38 #6 by alan_co9 (alan_co9)
Replied by alan_co9 (alan_co9) on topic Re: Weather Loaches and other fish

• Penguin (Penguin)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jan 2007 14:48 #7 by Penguin (Penguin)
Thanks for that. My filter is quite strong, though not enough to create a river-like environment I think :) Still the fishies seem happy, and come tomorrow they'll have a piece of bogwood too! Now all I need is to find a couple of cups of sand to have a sandy corner in the aquarium for the loaches to nuzzle in.

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds