Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

do fish nest ????

More
17 Apr 2009 15:26 #1 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
Hi my fancy goldfish rhykin/veiltail has made an nest he/ she has moved pants around a rock and has beening sitting in this den for a few days . he came out on wes morning and i noticed a white spot on him just over his eye and one spot on my filter box . i went to lfs to get anti whitespot and am on thrid day useing it now and he is fine at moment flying around tank .
fish sime to really like the hight temp is this ok for them .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2009 15:27 #2 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
sorry about spelling plants not pants lol lol

More
17 Apr 2009 18:39 - 17 Apr 2009 18:43 #3 by Trimax (Trimax)
Hi funky chic, First of all this is the wrong section for goldfish questions but im sure a mod wil move it. what you describe is definatly not whitespot, And I must inform you that Goldfish do not nest. They are egg scatterers with no parantel instincts.

If you really want to do the right thing for your goldfish go to your local petshop and buy a good book on goldfish, the thicker the better, and read it. Please do not treat fish for diseases they do not have or attempt to diagnose medical problems you havent seen before. I apologise for my frankness but I really feel that both you and your fish would benifit from some research on your behalf. I hope you will not take offense because I really am just being truthful with you;) Ps forgive my spelling too.

I dont know what you mean by high temp, Goldfish should live in water around 18 degrees but can survive in temps in the mid 20's.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2009 18:43 by Trimax (Trimax).

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Apr 2009 19:08 #4 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:do fish nest ????
Thread moved to "Coldwater" section.

Valerie

More
17 Apr 2009 21:26 #5 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
I have only seen fancy goldfish do something like this when water quality might be poor.It you have a heater in the tank it could be effecting them as they dont need to be in a heated tank.Room temp is fine.It would be a good idea to get some books as it is one of the best ways to learn.Could you give more info on what tank you have your water temp and your last water test results.

More
17 Apr 2009 22:19 #6 by pkearney (Phil Kearney)
goldfish are cold water fish and should be kept in cold water.normal room temperature is ok especially for fancy varieties.
higher temperature speeds up their metabolysm and shortens their lifespan.bettas(gouramis) build a bubble nest when spawning.
the stickleback male builds a nest from moss etc. and entices the female in to lay eggs which he fertilises and guards till they hatch.
phil.

More
17 Apr 2009 23:35 #7 by Xeon (ioan micu)
Most adult male goldfish get white spots (not ich) on the gills and their front fins when they rich breeding condition.
I never heard of a goldfish building a nest.

More
19 Apr 2009 00:55 - 19 Apr 2009 00:57 #8 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
thanks for advice everyone , i have goldfish books a few , i did go to my lfs and they also said it was whitespot . when u put medince in temp is to be brought up to 26 c to speedup there metabolism to heip they fight off infection .
The white spot was just above his eye and on filter box , its gone now .

p s thanks v for moving post

all the best

triss
Last edit: 19 Apr 2009 00:57 by funkychic (trish coughlan).

More
19 Apr 2009 00:56 #9 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
I think he was making a nest or den cause he was ill .

More
19 Apr 2009 10:12 - 19 Apr 2009 10:13 #10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I think you should leave the temperature ideally on the tank at room temperature going forward,its not fair on the fish,goldfish are coldwater fish and should be kept in that bracket. I dont buy into the heated water for coldwater fish,its uncomfortable and unnatural for them as well as significantly shortening their life span. The meds will do a good enough job if you follow the instructions exactly as set out,however if you are increasing the temp to about 25c then I would suggest you make sure there is enough Oxygen in the water as higher temp reduce O2 content. The idea of increasing the temp is actually to do with accerlerating the life cycle of the Parasite and hence shorten its life span which can only be treated during the free swimming stage.
As for the fish building a nest, I think it may be just a coincidence that the fish is behaving like that, there is certainly no cognitive thought on the goldfish's part to actually build a nest or anything like that.
Any question then just shout:)

Gavin
Last edit: 19 Apr 2009 10:13 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
20 Apr 2009 22:15 #11 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
cheers gavin thanks fish is ok at mo back to normal , talk to u soon
trish

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds