Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Miniature Kois

More
21 Apr 2009 11:01 #1 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Any of ou guys encountered this variant of KOI? Apparently the local supply from one of our sponsors is from Israel or something. The fish can thrive in more high temp than fancy gold fishes and the store manager said that the fish wont grow more than 3in? any experiences on this?

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2009 22:06 #2 by Trimax (Trimax)
Replied by Trimax (Trimax) on topic Re:Miniature Kois
Never heard of that Ian. I remember reading of rumours of Koi/Goldfish cross being bred, maybe this is the same? I know that butterfly koi or hi fin Koi usually don't grow as big but still way bigger than 3 inches.

More
21 Apr 2009 23:31 #3 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
I would be very supprised if this is true, we deal with Magnoy in Israel and have never heard of it, where did you hear this?

More
22 Apr 2009 08:11 #4 by louis (David Knowles)
Yeah I saw those at the weekend.Beautiful looking fish and apparantly the store is getting more in this week I think

More
22 Apr 2009 10:08 - 22 Apr 2009 10:26 #5 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
I actually got 1 little fellah just for my own experience and mixed it up with my goldfish tank and doing fairly well considering its size compared to the bigger GFs - I think being slender helps them get to the food faster. They are quite boisterous at times but doing well in 22-24 temps.

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...
Last edit: 22 Apr 2009 10:26 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez).

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Apr 2009 11:07 #6 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Miniature Kois
Do they look any different to normal small Koi?

I.e. is there anything to say they're not just juveniles?
They do sound pretty cool

More
22 Apr 2009 11:43 #7 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
2poc wrote:

Do they look any different to normal small Koi?

I.e. is there anything to say they're not just juveniles?
They do sound pretty cool

They have the the usual koi face, whiskers and the scale patterns like big KOis, deportment etc same too. But finnage more like butterfly Kois.

More
22 Apr 2009 11:46 - 22 Apr 2009 11:50 #8 by Trimax (Trimax)
Hi Ian are you sure the shops not telling fibs, I have never seen these fish on any suppliers lists. Koi have been developed by selective breeding for millennia, if this was possible then a dwarf version would of appeared a long time ago. So either the shop is lying or there is some hybridization/genetic modification going on. I'm not saying your lying I am just skeptical about the validity of the shops claims. If this was a valid variant then Drew would of been amongst the first to know in Ireland as he is in touch with some of the main Koi dealers and privy to pretty much all of the fish lists from the big suppliers to Ireland. Can you post a pic of your new koi so we can get a look?
What you describe sounds like what my book calls the Hi-fin Koi, Which unvalidated rumours claims to be a goldfish cross bred in the 90's using hormones.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2009 11:50 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
22 Apr 2009 11:50 - 22 Apr 2009 12:14 #9 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
I remember first seeing in the sponsor shop about 2 sundays ago and they had 20 plus in the tank - but I came back last sunday and the stock was 10 or so and some hobbyist bought the nice ones which I should've gotten but was undecided. The Manager labelled them as Miniature Kois from Israel and would be getting more in a weeks time.

I'll take some pictures when I get the chance.

Last edit: 22 Apr 2009 12:14 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez).

More
22 Apr 2009 11:56 - 22 Apr 2009 12:04 #10 by Trimax (Trimax)
I found this on another forum (aquatic community), posted by username Hanoverkoi 02-18-2007

Miniature KoiHi EveryoneI am new to this forum, so please let me know if I break any rules. I hope I don't.I am a Koi breeder, and have developed High Qaulity miniature Koi...."Toy Koi" These are true genetically manipulated miniatures and not just young fish or runts. The average largest size they reach is six about six inches. I am just trying to take a survey and see what kind of interest there may be out there. This will be the first year a few will be avaiable, and I just want to try and get a feel for what size the market my be, and exactly where that market may fall in the aquarium world.My forte is health , Qt, and treatment of Koi primarily but many other freshwater fish will fall into this category of protocols I utilize.Any input would be appreciated, as to what your opinions on this may be. This is not meant to be a sales pitch whatsoever. I am simply trying to get an idea as to the interest out there. These fish have been years in development, and I am just now beginning to attempt to get some stats on the market and interests.Thanks

If these Koi you seen are real mini Koi then I suspect genetic modification is involved.
Maybe the sponser selling these fish can clarify???
Last edit: 22 Apr 2009 12:04 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
22 Apr 2009 12:04 - 22 Apr 2009 12:18 #11 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Trimax wrote:

I found this on another forum (aquatic community), posted by username Hanoverkoi 02-18-2007

Miniature KoiHi EveryoneI am new to this forum, so please let me know if I break any rules. I hope I don't.I am a Koi breeder, and have developed High Qaulity miniature Koi...."Toy Koi" These are true genetically manipulated miniatures and not just young fish or runts. The average largest size they reach is six about six inches. I am just trying to take a survey and see what kind of interest there may be out there. This will be the first year a few will be avaiable, and I just want to try and get a feel for what size the market my be, and exactly where that market may fall in the aquarium world.My forte is health , Qt, and treatment of Koi primarily but many other freshwater fish will fall into this category of protocols I utilize.Any input would be appreciated, as to what your opinions on this may be. This is not meant to be a sales pitch whatsoever. I am simply trying to get an idea as to the interest out there. These fish have been years in development, and I am just now beginning to attempt to get some stats on the market and interests.Thanks

If these Koi you seen are real mini Koi then I suspect genetic modification is involved.

Thats about 2 years ago - I reckon lots of them Mini Koi's are out there in home tanks. Yup saw that post too. I'm going to assess its growth potential as per the sponsor shops Manager it wont grow bigger than 3in but this post mentioned 6in. Imagine koi fanatics can own koi's in 10 gallon tanks now. :laugh:

Last edit: 22 Apr 2009 12:18 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez).

More
22 Apr 2009 12:16 #12 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Trimax wrote:

Maybe the sponser selling these fish can clarify???

I know the store manager never touches the internet but he's assistant does and he makes posts quite seldom now in their sponsor forum.

More
22 Apr 2009 15:00 #13 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I saw that before too and if you read on you will see that that poster never came back and was discredited in following posts, if someone has developed a genetically modified Koi and they are for sale I find it hard to believe they have made it all the way to Ireland and the internet has not heard of them first.

Just have to wait for more info I guess.

Daragh

More
23 Apr 2009 18:08 #14 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Took a picture from my phonecam...sorry for the poor quality

More
23 Apr 2009 18:26 #15 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
hi all , is a genetic modification in fish dangerousness to koi and other fish in tank ? does anyone know ?.

hows the koi with fancys ian . ?

More
23 Apr 2009 20:25 #16 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
funkychic wrote:

hi all , is a genetic modification in fish dangerousness to koi and other fish in tank ? does anyone know ?.

hows the koi with fancys ian . ?

it's holding up well on it's own and gets a fair share of feeds, swims fast too. It's not a danger to other fish so far

More
23 Apr 2009 22:21 #17 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
May be a carp of some type, but definitely not the proportions of a regular Koi at that size age, the body shape is different and the tail is too big. It will be interesting to see how he develops. I wonder how much Koi genes are left in there...

Daragh

More
04 May 2009 21:19 #18 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick)
Seen these for sale in the LFS here in lucan last week:)
pretty fish

More
05 May 2009 21:41 #19 by Trimax (Trimax)
Looking forward to seeing how this grows, hard say anything from the pic but it looks like a Koi runt to me, normally culled at the farm. Pretty all the same!

More
09 May 2009 20:18 #20 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Replied by Orca (Eoin Walsh) on topic Re:Miniature Kois
I saw some of these fish in stillorgan today and the do look great.The only thing is that there is no info on them so what size tank would you need and how large might they get.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds