Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

HELP

More
04 Jun 2009 22:13 #1 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
HELP i think my gold fish have fish louse , i have just finished treating them for whitspot and i now have them in a bucket with salt . i can see the pest on them mainly on the fins and tails . in my book it says to pull of with twizers . does any one have any advice please

trish

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2009 22:44 #2 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Replied by Dave (Dave Fallon) on topic Re:HELP
Hi Trish,

Firstly, have you any pics to confirm this? Could you try get one up. It's better to diagnose once the problem has been 100% confirmed.

Is it only one fish which is affected or is it many? when did the symptoms show? Are they new to the tank?

Are they showing any adverse affects?

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
04 Jun 2009 22:54 #3 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
Replied by funkychic (trish coughlan) on topic Re:HELP
hya dave my ph camera not wroking at moment , they are differently a pest i can see they little sh###t move on they on all of them expect one .. is there some where were i could take one to make sure what pest it is . i bought 3 small ones in a shop last week and 2 of them are dead . guy in shop said they got a bad batch and would replace them for me , at time i did not know about pest . shoul i bring one in to the shop . what u think ???

the only affects i can see at momet dave is they darting around now and then the little one is not the best . they seem a little bit calmer after bath

More
04 Jun 2009 23:03 #4 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Replied by alkiely (alan kiely) on topic Re:HELP
Have you any other fish in the the......?

Or do all ur fish have them.....?

Alan

More
04 Jun 2009 23:08 #5 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
all the fish have them expect one and pleco are ok at moment .

More
04 Jun 2009 23:10 #6 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Ok,

To be honest, if you can see anything on the exterior, try and get them off without causing to much distress to the fish, difficult I know, but it will help in long run.

Salt baths will help, but remove any external parasites if you can.

You'll sometimes find that external parasites and accompanied by internal parasites also, so if you manage to solve the problem definitely treat with some anti parasite if they look fit enough.

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
04 Jun 2009 23:10 #7 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
p. s sorry about spelling in a hurry

More
04 Jun 2009 23:13 #8 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
ok thanks , have try ed to pull pest off fish keeps moving am afrid of hurting them . when i do get pest off fishes . should i strip tank ??????

More
04 Jun 2009 23:19 #9 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Definitely wouldn't do any harm.

However, I'd suggest trying to get the fish back a bit healthier anyway before attempting to strip the tank. that can cause alot of problems, namely stress and water quality issues, especially if your having parasite problems.

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
04 Jun 2009 23:22 #10 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
ok thanks , should i bath them in a parasite treatment , and if so what type ??

More
04 Jun 2009 23:26 #11 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
I wouldn't bathe them as such.

If theres parasites on the fish, they'll be in the tank so better treating the tank as a whole.

There's a couple of different ones out there, Kingbritish WS3 an interpet no 6 for external parasites and no 9 I think for internal parasites.

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
04 Jun 2009 23:30 #12 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
dave your a star ta

More
05 Jun 2009 23:34 #13 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
thanks for advice to all . fish are okish now i gave fishes a hight salt bath loues came off them all i put treatment in tank to heal up sore . and adding in salt .

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds