Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

pond paint

More
24 Apr 2010 09:22 #1 by tippstar (colm norris)
hi all

i was wondering does anyone know where i could get pond paint maybe in the munster area. i have a 4 foot deep by 13 foot wide pond but think there is a small leak at the top. when i fill it up to the rim, after a couple of days, it goes back down to the same spot about a foot from the top.
i was planning on painting some kind of sealer around this line to hopefully stop the leak.

thanks

tom

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2010 10:47 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:pond paint
You can buy a pond sealant (cannot remember the name off the top of my head, it might be Pondseal) but I fear you would have to be looking away from the Munster area towards Dublin - unless you are in the vicinity of Cork. I haven't seen it in my travels in North Munster.
Try sending a few PMs to Forum Sponsors.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 Apr 2010 05:16 #3 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic Re:pond paint
hi,
what is your pond made from?
i am guessing concrete, if so one of the best pond sealers i have used is G4 Pond sealant.
you can buy it here in cork river view or rivers edge garden centre in bandon, ask for dave, will post you the shop number later I think i have it on my phone. but your pond will need to be emptied and fully dry or you will not get an effective seal.
there are lots of other concrete sealers available also, one other i have used comes as a two part mix, a liquid and a powder that have to be mixed together, this one can be used in the wet and gives an instant seal, and is fish safe as far as i can remember, I will have a check and see if i have the container if i get a chance and let you know, I think i bought it in limerick, , will recheck that too.

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
27 Apr 2010 10:56 #4 by joemc (joe mc)
hi tippstar
sorry for the delay in getting back to you, the full product name is vandex bb 75, i only have one part of the two part mix!!!just cannot find the pots, so sorry no point in offering you some!

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

More
27 Apr 2010 11:21 #5 by tippstar (colm norris)
thanks for that joe

i might pop down to the garden centre in bandon next weekend to have a look around.

thanks for your help. will let you know how i get on

More
27 Apr 2010 11:39 - 27 Apr 2010 12:46 #6 by joemc (joe mc)
forgot to give you the shop number!!! my memory is gone, its actually called waterside garden centre. number is sent in PM, dave sheila or mary should sort you out.
to find the place from cork , drive into bandon, pass the first garden centre on the left turn right at the t junction, then imediatly left, drive down alongside the river, and into the shopping centre, its half way down the car park on the left.
cheers
joe mc

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Last edit: 27 Apr 2010 12:46 by JohnH (John). Reason: omitted phone number.

More
27 Apr 2010 13:00 #7 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could answer the same question for me in the Dublin area? I need some stone effect paint for my 3D background. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lorcan

More
27 Apr 2010 17:53 #8 by joemc (joe mc)
G4 sealant is available in clear, blue and black, would you not just use that and pour silica sand over the wet sealant to give it the look you want, it would stick to it and give that stone effect, in time algae will cover it and help it blend in, you could use whatever coloured grit / sand you wanted?

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

More
28 Apr 2010 15:02 #9 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
That is one time saving possibility, but after spending so long cuting the desired shape, there's not much point in not going the whole hog. My plan is to use black colourant in a watery cement mix- 2 coats. A final coat of cement with sand added will give a rough texture and then drybrush the whole thing with pond paint to give it an authentic rock-effect appearance. I'll probably throw a heavily watered-down sealant over this to prevent as much leeching as possible.

My only problem now is getting suitable pond paint in the Dublin area. It's quite expensive on the net if you include delivery and packaging.

More
28 Apr 2010 21:51 #10 by joemc (joe mc)
any of the good quality pond sealers are expensive, thee are no cheap ones that i know of. you are looking at about €80 per gallon.
there is one another pond sealer that i used before that can be used on a damp surface like vandex, but i cannot remember the name and it was expensive, it was called something like 'pond gold sealer'??, just can't remember. someone else here might know it

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

More
29 Apr 2010 11:50 #11 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
He we (Aquatic Village) have V8 pondseal, its a clear varnish type, also pond paint in stone, blue and black colours in various sizes, PM for details

More
29 Apr 2010 12:33 #12 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
I'll look into all them. Any idea where I might start looking though? Doesn't seem like it's standard stock in any hardware I've looked in.

More
01 May 2010 13:42 - 01 May 2010 13:44 #13 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
I'll drop out that way and have a look at your stock, thanks.
Last edit: 01 May 2010 13:44 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien).

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds