Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Bubble eyed goldfish at 24 degrees ?

More
15 Feb 2011 11:26 #31 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

I dont see any issue in the thread being dragged back up. The forum works as a library and point of information for people also. New memebers are entitled to thrawl back through previous posts and adding to them then is not an issue I feel. The search function is also very useful and again I often use it when required also.

Its fair to say that Adam appears to have knowledge on the subject being discussed and Id welcome that and his views on the topic. Isnt that the reason we are all here,to share our experiences.
Lets move on together lads.

Gavin

I agree in general that that is the purpose of a forum. (you're being more diplomatic that I there Gav :) )

However, I feel that the ethos of it being dragged-up on the basis of it cited as being 'reckless' is contrary to the purpose of having a library of reference. That was my personal issue.

To be honest, I saw an undercurrent of angst here.....I don't like angst undercurrents. I also saw it elsewhere on the forum. I won't get drawn in to such angst. And will not get involved with personal attacks on persons on a forum.

If, however, it were dragged up and useful points were added on the subject in question....then I'd have no problems with that and, moreover, would welcome such additions.
But, the points made were not that topical or useful to the subject, and it started to turn a potentially good discussion (and one that is well poised for being heated anyway) towards a bit of a durge.

In fact, I remember this thread very well, and would have liked to have seen more posts on the subject anyway.

I have particular reason to see a good discussion on our goldfish friends as they are superb fish that need to be placed on a decent stage to show that they are worthy of proper fishkeeping techniques.

The topic was about bubble eyes at 24 degrees, and what did people think.
It is a very serious topic for which I have my personal and scientific interest in (it is mainly about brain toxicology afterall...my particular subject of choice that I love :) ).

So maybe we can take it from here and discuss the temperature requirements of goldfish using our 2 weeks, 2 years, 30, 40 or 50 years experience of them and our scientific knowledge.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2011 11:45 #32 by dar (darren curry)

ArmaghAdam you dont care whos toes you thread on, reminds me of a younger me untill the system beat and whipped me into shape, much to the annoyance of my minnions who have little respect for the new me since i abandoned my rebel never say die attitude, but my life is a bit easier and stress free since, it can wind you up getting up in the morning thinking "wat are these shower of ........ upto today"? it is no good wen the other side doesn't give a .... about your ranting and raving. believe me it is easier to bite the bullit, bury the hatchet and get along as even my arch nemisis (yes that's right ARCH NEMISIS) are decent oul skins

why is this not deleted it's of topic,let's stay to fish topics and not what we think off urselfs.

OH THE HUMANITY

IMAGINE IT, GOING OFF TOPIC

delete it, please. might stop the crying

i do enjoy these coldwater threads, i think they deserve more credit as they are most peoples gate way to our aqua hobby

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
15 Feb 2011 12:22 #33 by joey (joe watson)

i do enjoy these coldwater threads, i think they deserve more credit as they are most peoples gate way to our aqua hobby

that is spot on dar, was true for me and a few friends too. its kinda disappointing to have only used coldwatwer as a stepping stone into tropical and the more varied species it has to offer

saying that i still have a butterfly loach from a c/w tank. and a goldfish was rehomed in my mate pond and is doing very well, so i guess they are still around us

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Feb 2011 13:42 #34 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Bubble eyed goldfish at 24 degrees ?
Hi Gavin,

I agree on your point that the older Posts serve as a reference Library for the want of another word.
Adam does appear to have a great knowledge of Piscine issues and particularly cold water and on this Forum this is a huge help and anything Adam can contribute would be more than welcome especially by me as I have to admit, I am no expert on those issues.

I have to add however, that, more is gained by Sugar than by Vinegar, something I don't always adhere to. If there are disagreements they should be polite and convivial, not aggressive or little making, I am NOT
Referring to ANYBODY in particular and don't want to start another "he said, she said" line of discussion.

I really love the recall function on the pm section where you type a pm and can recall it to re-word or delete it before it's read it would be great if a response to a thread stayed in limbo for a while to allow changes or deletions, and I don't mean an edit function.

Any way , I hope this is an end to this and I have apologised for not always sticking to my own Mantra.

Kev.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds