Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My First pond

More
19 May 2010 09:46 - 19 May 2010 09:50 #1 by phat1 (trevor)
My First pond was created by phat1 (trevor)
Hi,

Im building my first pond,I was looking for info.Ive just started and i have it dug out its 6ft x 4ft and 2ft deep i'm waiting on a stone mason before i can do any more I've uploaded a few photos.I'm going to underlay it then put liner on that i have bought this already.I,m going to use a easyclear 3000 pump to keep the pond clear and i also have a net cover to keep out birds and stuff.

The info im looking for is what kind of fish and plants can i put in my pond also i would love to put in 2 or 3 koi but i have read that they need at least 3 feet deep is this true? why is this? If so im thinking of digging down another a bit of the pond around 1ft x 1ft.Will that be enough so i could put koi in my pond.But if i can get away with 2ft that will do as we have kids in the house and dont want it to deep in case they fall in.

If any body has any hints tips that would be great.

Ps. up the rebels

My photos wont upload i'll see if i can sort it
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 May 2010 09:50 by phat1 (trevor). Reason: photos wont upload

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2010 10:19 - 19 May 2010 16:13 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:My First pond
Hello and warm welcome to the Forum.
As to posting photos, please see advice given here:
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...w/catid,27/id,33875/

Before you put in your underlay my suggestion would be to fastidiously check for stones in the soil and remove anything vaguely sharp. You really would be surprised how the soil will 'move' after the liner is set and the weight of the water gets on it - I honestly don't understand how it happens, but truly, it does.

When I built my last pond I covered the hole with 2 - 3" of soft sand, you will be surprise how well, once dampened, it will adhere to the sides too.

I then placed the underlay in place, followed by the liner (don't try this alone even a slight breeze is a real hazard and quite a few curses were directed to the West!!!) then the tap was turned on with the hose directed into the liner.

As it fills you need to tuck in folds and overlaps but you get plenty of time, don't worry.

6x4 is rather on the small size for Koi, but you could get away with a small amount - but be prepared to either build a larger one later, or trade them in for smaller replacements during the passage of time - depending on how attached you become to your fish.

2ft would be deep enough - even though the recommended depth for Koi is 3ft. I once had a small pond, merely 15" deep at the deepest point, with fish in and added a few Koi - once they reached 9-10" I traded them in.
I think that the 3ft minimum is perhaps a legacy from the days we had hard winters and water would freeze, often to a depth of two, or even three feet. But I measured the depth of ice when we had the freeze-up around Christmas and it never reached 3".
I have a friend with a Koi pond which is only 18" deep, although a much larger surface area than yours is intended to be and his fish have really thrived.

Here's an interesting little thread with a note of caution regarding children and water included.
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...d,18/id,69088/#69277

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 19 May 2010 16:13 by JohnH (John). Reason: Addition

More
19 May 2010 12:28 #3 by pets and ponds (cees and catherine de snoo murphy)
hello,Cees here from Pets and Ponds.I agree with the previous writer but i want to add something very important and that is the filtersystem.Especialy with a shallow pond you need a uv unit aswell in conjunction with your filter,otherwise it could and will end up in a algae soup.for advice you can always give me a call on 058 40158,or come to the shop and talk with me.hope to hear from you.greetings,Cees.

More
19 May 2010 12:34 - 19 May 2010 12:41 #4 by phat1 (trevor)
Replied by phat1 (trevor) on topic Re:My First pond
Hi John,

Thanks for the info i hope the photo thing works

Last edit: 19 May 2010 12:41 by JohnH (John). Reason: corrected photo link to allow third picture to appear.

More
19 May 2010 12:41 #5 by phat1 (trevor)
hello,Cees

I have all that covered with the easyclear 3000 it has a uv light but thanks for advice.
I know it seems a bit small but thats all i need for now just to keep the kids happy.

More
19 May 2010 12:50 - 19 May 2010 12:51 #6 by JohnH (John)
Looks good,
Please keep us informed as to how it progresses.
Might it be worth considering some sort of guard rail? - I know, I'm sounding a bit paranoid but children and water does make me shudder.
Also, if one did fall in even with 2ft of depth there is no way of easily getting out with no step, I would suggest a step up off the level of the bottom on the garden side of the pond's inner wall...(hope this is understandable, difficult to put into words).
John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 19 May 2010 12:51 by JohnH (John). Reason: modification

More
19 May 2010 15:11 #7 by phat1 (trevor)
I understand what you are saying john, thanks for the info but the kids are 6 years old so hopefully it will be ok.I'll post more photos when i get started.

phat1

More
19 May 2010 16:06 #8 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Looks great mate keep up the good work, Did ya build it yourself? It really is the month for building ponds, I build one about a month ago not as big as your though, heres the link to mine.
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...mit,10/limitstart,0/
Also i have 5 small Koi in mine and its about 20" deep, I was told they'd be fine for a few years then ill either build a bigger pond or move them on.
Gerry

More
19 May 2010 17:31 #9 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi Phat1
looking good keep us posted. I have been considering building one myself but the wee man is turning one in a few weeks so for now not going to happen. But while i have been looking into this i came across a plastic mesh which sits just under the surface for safty have not seen it in use i wonder how much it will block your view but something worth considering with little ones of all ages.

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
20 May 2010 08:16 - 20 May 2010 08:18 #10 by phat1 (trevor)
Thanks for your comments gerry and mickey,I'm building it myself except for the stone wall,where my pond is was a load of tree's and i cut them down and dug up the mound of dirt that was 3ft high 18 ft lenght 5ft deep.When i was digging the mound i found a old stone wall hidden in the mound so now i'm going to build the outer layer of the pond with the old stone and im getting a stone mason to do that i'm waiting on him and as he's doing me a favour i have to wait for him haha!,Everything else to do with the pond i'm doing it myself as soom as the stone wall is up i'll put in the liner and water as i'm not to sure if 1 standard block will hold the water in.

Phat1
Last edit: 20 May 2010 08:18 by phat1 (trevor).

More
14 Jun 2010 19:31 #11 by phat1 (trevor)
Hi lads,

Looking for info again as my pond is nearly finished,i have the water in the pond for the last 2 days (with no fish in it).Today i put in some beach bebble for the bottom of the pond but it was not as clean as i thought it was and its after turning the water dirty,what i want to know is will my pump/filter clean the water for me this was a 3pm today and the water is still very dirty.I will stick some photos up of the pond later.Thanks!

More
29 Jun 2010 11:10 #12 by phat1 (trevor)
Hi i have finished my pond just need to get some pond plants and some fish,Does anybody know where i can get these in cork thanks for any info.Here is some photos of my pond.
this is what i started with.

More
29 Jun 2010 11:20 #13 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Great job mate the stone mason done a a really good job also. What fish are you gonna put in it? Gerry

More
29 Jun 2010 11:26 #14 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
That looks great man..........

Follow me up to Carlow

More
29 Jun 2010 11:31 #15 by phat1 (trevor)
Gerry The Chip wrote:

Great job mate the stone mason done a a really good job also. What fish are you gonna put in it? Gerry

Thanks gerry i think it has turned out well,Couldnt get a mason so the brother and i done it.Fish wise i'm not really sure i would love a few koi as i think they are a lovely fish,after them im not to sure put i would love colourful fish,can you recommend any i should look into? Plus i dont know where to look for them in cork

More
29 Jun 2010 11:36 #16 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
I have 5 small koi in my pond and 2 common goldfish, the Koi are 2-3 inch and hav lovely colours. Cant help ya with where to shop in cork im from dublin, im sure someone else will sort ya out. Gerry

More
29 Jun 2010 11:39 #17 by JohnH (John)
phat1 wrote:

Gerry The Chip wrote:

Thanks gerry i think it has turned out well,Couldnt get a mason so the brother and i done it.Fish wise i'm not really sure i would love a few koi as i think they are a lovely fish,after them im not to sure put i would love colourful fish,can you recommend any i should look into? Plus i dont know where to look for them in cork

Send a PM to Gavin (Fishowner) he's in Cork and will be best able to advise you of the best places to shop there, also joemc.

John

ITFS member.

More
29 Jun 2010 18:05 #18 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
PM send Phat1.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds