Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Ban the Bowl Ireland

More
31 May 2010 13:25 #1 by suckers (matt lait)
Hello everyone. I’m posting this link as Iam trying to get the ball rolling with regard to Banning Goldfish bowls in Ireland. There have been a few countries that have already achieved this goal and its high time Ireland did to.:) As I’m sure you are aware being the site this is, it’s a cruel practice that really needs to stop. So I hope the mods won’t mind that I have posted a link to the Ban the bowl Ireland face book page. I hope this movement will gain some momentum and the time will come soon where goldfish cannot be kept in an unfiltered container.
Thank you for reading .:)
If anyone with information on this would like to post something your more then welcome to do so!;)
Thank you very much.

C.
www.facebook.com/pages/BAN-THE-BOWL-IREL.../246959208586?ref=ts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2010 13:29 - 31 May 2010 13:32 #2 by JohnH (John)
Well said, I'll sign up now. Sorry, later on - I'm not a facebook member yet.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 31 May 2010 13:32 by JohnH (John). Reason: added a sentence

More
31 May 2010 13:34 #3 by dar (darren curry)
ooooh this one boils my blood, i totally ruined some ones ad trying 2 sell a tiny tank stating it could house 13 small goldfish in it "but it's bigger than a goldfish bowl" there is no such thing as a goldfish bowl, i find it a disgrace that people sell these bowls knowing full well that it only contributes to fish cruelty

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
31 May 2010 13:39 #4 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re:Ban the Bowl Ireland
Agree, will sign up, totally cruel, inherited a few a while back with a tank, that or the toilet by the owner so took em, kept em in an edge, bro now has em in 60l with filter.

LFS gotta take responsibility too, they shouldn't sell them to a woman with a kid with a fishbowl in her hand. They depend on this fish dying often and being replaced by the parent periodically.

Cruel exploitation of the poor fish
Mark

Location D.11

More
31 May 2010 13:59 #5 by dyco619 (steve carmody)
i totally agree, i hate them, i bought my son a 54ltr tank for his bedroom brand new with heater, filter the full set up for 49 euro,

im sure a bowl must cost 25 or 30euro! so way not pay a little bit extra and do it right? and everyone is happy.

shops have to take responsibility for selling them in the first place..

More
31 May 2010 14:25 #6 by dar (darren curry)
shall we form an angry mob? we'l call ourselves C.A.R.P (concerned aquatic rights protectors)

More
31 May 2010 22:18 #7 by Dioza (Adam Bell)
I've invited all my friends to join it, of which i expect maybe 2 to actually join lol.

More
31 May 2010 22:33 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Can it be found anywhere else except fakebook?
I would sign up but dont intend signing up with fakebook.

More
31 May 2010 23:45 #9 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Iv just joined the page, only 60 or so members, come on lads lets gets the ball rolling!

More
01 Jun 2010 00:17 #10 by suckers (matt lait)
It’s a subject many find amusing.:dry: The suggestion of setting up something other then facebook where anyone can access the info is a very good idea... I shall try to get something else organized. ;)
My friend rang ANVIL (animals need a voice in legislation) today and she said the lady she spoke to was very helpful in pointing the movement in the right direction. There is Trojan work being done at the moment in regard to legislative change with regard to quadrupeds... but nothing she could think of concerning fish welfare. She suggested that lobbying a T.D. might the thing to do, possibly someone in the green party. However, she did add that the legislative change in this country is long and arduous so maybe going direct to the local fish shops is where to start. If they did not sell them there would be a reduction of the incidence of the problem.This is where we had thought to start originally. Over the past few months my friend had E-mailed many of the local fish shops in Munster as this is our area. Sadly with limited success.:( She only received 3 emails back, Only one of which said they don’t sell bowls... The other two did not want to stop selling bowls as when Mummy or Daddy come in with little darling looking for a goldfish they don’t want to fork out big cash... after all "it’s just a goldfish":huh:
As you I know... It Matters not if it’s a L200 or a minnow... It’s still a live animal that requires space to swim, clean water to thrive and a healthy environment.;) So maybe to organize a blanket sweep of the LFS throughout the country is the thing to do. I am not of course suggesting a brow beating campaign, merely an appeal to the moral conscience of all rep of Ireland aquatic shops that sell bowls.:cheer:
What do ye think lads and ladies... Would anyone like to help me?? I cannot do this alone?:)

More
01 Jun 2010 00:29 #11 by dar (darren curry)
here's a true story, lets just say a "friend" of mine's sister had 2goldfish in a bowl and some mad thing broke into her gaff while she was out, already equiped wit 1. orange bucket, 1. blue net, 1 bottle of api stress coat and a bit of tropical flake food and stole the 2 fish, put them the car, drove them from crumlin to tallaght wit minor spillage and put them in his pond where they lived happily till the big freeze killed them, my poor nephew was heart broken

More
14 Jun 2010 14:05 #12 by Gavin (Gavin)
Fin fur and feathers will not be selling goldfish bowls when we open on sat. (hehe) we regard the practice as outdated and barbaric.the average lifespan of a goldfish sold in most shops is a mindboggling two days.:angry:

dont make me come over there.

More
15 Jun 2010 00:21 #13 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
Hi
I understand were everyone is coming from but I started out with a goldfish in a bowl, with not filter or airstone.

I did a small water change every 4 days for 3 years water change was so small i used a cup to change the water ha, but not knowing much about fish keeping I used to completly empty the bowl once a month clean the agle and put the fish back in in tap water (not treated with anything) never seem to bother him.

my point been if we dont start with gold fish starters will just find another type of fish to start with and many other fish will suffer in there place it will be impossible to ban the bowl as fish shops will always sell bowls as small as 10l with a free goldfish because the can make a big profit off them.

but on the plus side they do lead people like at least half the members of this forum to get addicited to the ART of fish keeping and have more people behind the motion that it is an ART and fish should be treated right and looked after as most people would with dogs or cats.

Then you have the other side of things which would see most of us as been cruel cause we feed live fish to our bigger fish. so is there a winning side to this debate, we buy to feed were others buy for kids resulting in death, but buying for the kids keeps our LFS in bussiness.

If the bowl was banned 5 years ago i would'nt have my set up now and the set up I have now I love and have put a lot into,

So to sum up I would like to have the bowl banned but it would put a serious decline in new members to fish keeping so the decision will be open for dissucion for a long time yet!!!

More
15 Jun 2010 02:21 #14 by dar (darren curry)
ive seen a sponsor turning a customer away because there was a problem wit his water and he kept coming back for fish these where tropical fish and i was delighted to see that, just a few minor points in your story, you say you had the fish and changed his water wit tap water every few days and he seemed fine, but more than likely he was not fine, and i cant agree wit the feeder fish theory either as we choose to house fish and we are responible to provide the most natural enviroment we can possible, these fish eat fish in the wild and a hell of a lot of foods are mashed up fish anyway, and in providing the best possible life means plenty of clean water wit lots of space to manovour and grow. selling goldies can have an opposite effect where as junior gets the fish and it dies and folks say "no more fish for you, you couldn't look after the one you got so there is no way we're forking out for a tropical set up" where as he was ripped off of his communion money or so by greedy petstore employees. bottom line is it's cruelty and it should stop, every pet sold should come wit a bit of education. i went up 2 AV to spash out on a "nemo" tank without a clue on fish but the lads put me wide and scared me out of it and i appriciated that and settled for tropical that was a lot of hard work for a beginner. (exuse the exausted rant this father hood stuff is tiring)

More
15 Jun 2010 14:43 #15 by ronanphilip (Ronan Mc Manus)
suckers wrote:

It’s a subject many find amusing.:dry: The suggestion of setting up something other then facebook where anyone can access the info is a very good idea... I shall try to get something else organized. ;)
My friend rang ANVIL (animals need a voice in legislation) today and she said the lady she spoke to was very helpful in pointing the movement in the right direction. There is Trojan work being done at the moment in regard to legislative change with regard to quadrupeds... but nothing she could think of concerning fish welfare. She suggested that lobbying a T.D. might the thing to do, possibly someone in the green party. However, she did add that the legislative change in this country is long and arduous so maybe going direct to the local fish shops is where to start. If they did not sell them there would be a reduction of the incidence of the problem.This is where we had thought to start originally. Over the past few months my friend had E-mailed many of the local fish shops in Munster as this is our area. Sadly with limited success.:( She only received 3 emails back, Only one of which said they don’t sell bowls... The other two did not want to stop selling bowls as when Mummy or Daddy come in with little darling looking for a goldfish they don’t want to fork out big cash... after all "it’s just a goldfish":huh:
As you I know... It Matters not if it’s a L200 or a minnow... It’s still a live animal that requires space to swim, clean water to thrive and a healthy environment.;) So maybe to organize a blanket sweep of the LFS throughout the country is the thing to do. I am not of course suggesting a brow beating campaign, merely an appeal to the moral conscience of all rep of Ireland aquatic shops that sell bowls.:cheer:
What do ye think lads and ladies... Would anyone like to help me?? I cannot do this alone?:)

suckers i sent you a pm abut this yesterday did u get it?

More
15 Jun 2010 15:24 #16 by Dioza (Adam Bell)
I think at the end of the day it comes down to the quality and advice of LFS.

More
16 Jun 2010 19:28 #17 by R.J.66 (R.J.)
hi everyone!
i was in the pet aqua section of atlantic homecare this morning.i overheard a conversation between a mother and her daughter maybe around 12years old.the girl said mum i want a fish tank pointing at the 54l tank,the mum replied,oh no you don't aquariums are rubbish and a waste of time,if you want we could get you a goldfish bowl instead, even if the fish dies we could easily replace it.these are the exact words the mum used,the daughter remained silent.and as for me,i was totally shocked,i wanted to start a conversation with the mum but i guess who am i to get involved,i felt so helpless.now i am thinking was there anything i could do at that point?if you fish loving people were in my position this morning what would you do :(

just want to share this story to you guys,thanks for taking time to read it................

More
16 Jun 2010 19:35 #18 by dar (darren curry)
RJ i'd of bounced her head off the shelfing (only joking), see i understand your situation she probably (seeing as she's an ignorant so and so) would have told you where to go in a less polite manor, but if you can help out give your opinion as a decent person will respect you for helping out, an ignorant person won't listen but at least you know you gave correct information and deep down they'l feel like a fool

More
16 Jun 2010 19:47 #19 by R.J.66 (R.J.)
thanks Darren, now i could only hope that the daughter didn't said yes to her mum's plan to buy her a goldfish bowl...hoping and praying:(

More
16 Jun 2010 21:24 #20 by Steo (Stephen)
Just signed up and invited all friends hope this helps

Steo

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds