Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sick Goldfish

More
02 Jul 2010 20:16 #1 by den9 (Denis McLoughlin)
:( I have a nice mature Veiltail goldfish, 5 - 6 inches long. Around 6 months ago, it developed two white patches - the first is large & high on one side, the second is smaller and behind the eye on the other side. The patches are raised & look a little like cauliflower. At some times they appear slightly more swollen than others. They haven't changed in size since they first appeared. The fish is active and behaves normally.

I've tried various cures and medicine but nothing has worked. Looking up possible illnesses, it might be something called Lymphocystis.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2010 22:07 #2 by pkearney (Phil Kearney)
im just wondering would these growths be a throwback to its close relative the oranda which has a nice cauliflower growth on its head. when breeding these fish a lot of them are culled or discarded as they are not true to type.if the fish is behaving normally i would not worry about it.put some salt in the water to avoid fungus.
phil

More
16 Feb 2011 14:26 #3 by ArmaghAdam (Adam)
Replied by ArmaghAdam (Adam) on topic Re: Sick Goldfish
Hi there. Once again I realise this was posted sometime in September, but i thought i'd reply to put anyone els's mind at ease who finds similar growths on their Koi or Goldie's.
The growth's you describe sound to me (difficult without a pic) like 'Carp pox' an unsightly but harmless herpes related sore. These can have a 'waxy' appearance and ooze a white secretion now and then. But, as i'm assuming pkearney has discovered they go away with time.

They are common during autumn and spring. Carp pox are the goldfish/carp family equivelant of a human 'cold sore' appearing when the fish is a little run down or perhaps stressed. Like the cold sore in humans, some fish get them and some never will and there's very little you can do when they appear. although you can see a video on youtube of a singapore fishkeeper surgically removing one from prize Ranchu but he receives dogs abuse in the comment section (not from me this time):blush: for unecessarily cutting off something that would have dissapeared without a trace anyway.

Here's a link with more info for those interested. Carp pox in Koi and Goldfish

More
16 Feb 2011 15:48 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Seen that video before, putting the fish out to operate. Was something I didnt think Id see on a fish so small!

Gavin

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds