Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

coldwater setup, suggestions

• Alex (Alex)
  • Alex (Alex)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jul 2010 17:50 #1 by Alex (Alex)
coldwater setup, suggestions was created by Alex (Alex)
I found a 70L tank in a skip today... :woohoo:!

I cant afford to do much with it so im just doing a simple coldwater setup with no light and just a sponge filter.

I have the exact same setup with my current 70L and its stocked with 9 WCMMinnows.

Any suggestions for other coldwater fish? I was thinking about getting a small goldfish and eventually transfering it to my pond when it outgrows the tank.

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2010 18:09 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Id test fill it in the back yard first mate,leave it 24 hours and make sure there are no leaks. If its in the skip,it may have a leak. Do a full once over and give it a good clean. If its working then happy days!!! :)
Maybe you could try lots of minnows, depends on what temp the water would be in the room.Some hillstream loaches perhaps,if there is about 18c then maybe some zebra danios.Perhaps some of the freshwater gobys of the Rhinogobio species.

Gavin

More
31 Jul 2010 18:21 #3 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Cyprinella lutrensis
www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=40
are the dogs naggers mate
Regards
C

More
31 Jul 2010 18:29 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Finding them though could be difficult.

More
31 Jul 2010 18:49 #5 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Yes they are hard to come by these days and there may be a ruling on their sale (country dependent) but its better to seek out something you really want from the outset than making do with mediocrity only wishing later you'd had the patience to search out that illusive species.
Regards
C

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jul 2010 22:49 #6 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re:coldwater setup, suggestions
They actually aren't that rare in the past while but few shops bother to get them in.
I saw them in a shop in the past 2 weeks... I'm going to say Aquatic Village... I think!
FFF also have bitterling at the min.

More
31 Jul 2010 22:57 #7 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
get some crayfish amazing to watch and feed but make sure you have a lid they like to explore found one of mine in a sock before had to go after that

More
31 Jul 2010 23:19 #8 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
r2potat2 wrote:

get some crayfish amazing to watch and feed but make sure you have a lid they like to explore found one of mine in a sock before had to go after that

Did you find it with your foot???

More
01 Aug 2010 09:21 #9 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
no i could hear him move around and i looked for him then my sock on the floor moved wasnt actually in it but underneath it funny though

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Aug 2010 17:02 #10 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Re:coldwater setup, suggestions
Thanks guys, Ill check out those fish..
I left the tank filled in the back garden all day, no leaks.

I kept a crayfish 2 years ago, but he managed to escape :S. the hole was smaller then him!!

Id like to keep a crayfish again however i have no lid... Since im using a sponge filter the only thing he might be able to climb would be the tube... could it??

More
01 Aug 2010 18:20 #11 by dar (darren curry)
make a lid out of glass or perspex

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Aug 2010 20:39 #12 by Alex (Alex)
I have a bit of perspex in the shed... hopefully a saw and a bit of sanding will do the trick.. Iv never cut perspex.

Crayfish it is then, I have enough fish!

More
01 Aug 2010 20:49 - 01 Aug 2010 20:54 #13 by dar (darren curry)
maybe a hacksaw, i'd say a handsaw would make a right mess of it

edit: a hacksaw wouldn't cut right trough would it? maybe just the blade or a jigsaw if possible

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic
Last edit: 01 Aug 2010 20:54 by dar (darren curry).

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Aug 2010 09:42 #14 by Alex (Alex)
The tank is now up and running.

More
12 Feb 2011 11:31 #15 by ArmaghAdam (Adam)
Nice job :) Those sponge filters are an exellent and economical form of filtration and surface disturbance. Manufacturers and LFS's don't like them because they make less money from them and there simple to DIY! Hence the push on more expensive internal pump propelled filters.
I had a 250l Goldfish tank running on a trickle-tower/sump return filter. Then found that water paramaters stayed exactly the same when i replaced/phased it with two large homemade air/sponge filters. 18 months later nitrate .10
nitrite 0
ammonia 0

More
12 Feb 2011 12:51 #16 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
So Alex have you decided what your gonna put in there first.
The sponges are also excellent for fry / growout tanks.

Gavin

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds