Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

questions for the pond lovers

More
21 Dec 2010 12:07 #1 by dar (darren curry)
how are you getting on?. i have a small pond with no fish in it and by the looks of it if i had any in it they'd be brown bread by now.

and on a topic i started a wee bit ago one post suggested that the water quality of melted snow can be a bit on the poluted side, have you ever had any experience with this, or have you ever had any noticable differences in water quality, visual or with the use of test kits due to snow?

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2010 12:26 #2 by JohnH (John)
My pond was frozen over this morning as the return pipe from the pump had blocked with frozen water (ice?) :silly:

Fortunately after clearing the blockage the running water quickly cleared the unfrozen part of the surface so there is again an area where air and gas exchanges can take place - and equally importantly where the poor birds can access drinking and bathing water.
Another 'plus' to this, since my water from the well pump has frozen again, I can 'borrow' water from the pond for toilet flushing, washing up etc.

I think the danger from melted snow lies mainly in what else has 'landed' on it before the snow melts...there is the consideration of air pollution through which the snow has fallen - this would apply to rain equally, but I'll leave this part of the answer to someone with more appropriate knowledge to confirm.
I would say that as kids we would always eat snow and collect it for our Mums for boiling before using for tea etc - but always remembering the legend - "never eat the yellow snow"!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
21 Dec 2010 13:00 #3 by dar (darren curry)
JohnH wrote:

"never eat the yellow snow"!

I KNOW, wat the hell is the deal with that? it's not lemony in the slightest

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
21 Dec 2010 15:35 - 21 Dec 2010 15:40 #4 by Acara (Dave Walters)
My small pond contains 3 goldfish.It usually freezes over in very cold weather,like last January.A few Friday evenings ago I put a sheet of perspex over it,and that night the first of that lot of snow fell.It had about 8inches of snow on the perspex,but it never froze,other than a small uncovered corner.I was quite surprised.A wheelie bin I have full on standby for toilet flushing,etc,had a couple of inches solid ice right round it,but the pond was fine.I havn't checked the fish,but have no worries they will be ok.I think its a 250ltr pond.As for test kits,bah!Never used them.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!
Last edit: 21 Dec 2010 15:40 by Acara (Dave Walters).

More
21 Dec 2010 15:44 #5 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
lost 1 of my lovely koi the other day,dont know what happen
the pond is frozen but theres a good area ok with the filter breaking the water
first koi i lost in years must be just the cold
all the rest are fine just not moveing around too much
sick to the teeth of this weather

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds