Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Earthworms in the pond

More
03 Apr 2011 15:35 #1 by SSS (Sion S)
There are always earthworms in our ponds and they seem to live for at least a few days maybe more i'm not sure?
I dont know whether to net them out to save them from drowning or are they happy there?
I havent seen any fish eating them so if theres no point in them being there ill just scoop them out.
Anybody have any info on what i could do.
If they're eating detritus from the bottom maybe its a good thing having them there?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2011 16:04 #2 by dar (darren curry)
if they are not been eaten take them out, they will decompose

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
03 Apr 2011 16:22 #3 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Goldfish LOVE earthworms

More
03 Apr 2011 16:31 #4 by SSS (Sion S)
Ok thanks for that, i took a few out. So does that mean that they cant survive underwater for long cos they definitely live for a few days.

@christy - we used to have bigger fish that would eat them but since we redid the ponds the smaller ones dont seem to bother but i remember seeing bigger ones the odd time with a massive worm stickin out of their mouths haha!

More
03 Apr 2011 23:26 - 03 Apr 2011 23:28 #5 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
I dont have them (living) in my pond, but maybe once a week or so, I dig them from the garden and feed as a treat. The fish go mad for them. I read somewhere that they're full of protein. If they're too big , chop them up.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2011 23:28 by christyg (Chris Geraghty).

More
05 Apr 2011 00:09 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
just a quick point if they arent naturally scavanging treats like earthworms in your pond you may actually be overfeeding them, i have never known of any fish to refuse a worm

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
05 Apr 2011 14:07 #7 by SSS (Sion S)
Definitely not overfeeding them anyway, theres loads of tadpoles and other things in there for them to find and some of the worms I took out were twice the length of the fish so they just ignored them.
We have 2 ponds but its only in the smaller of the two that I see worms in there for days, probably because in the bigger pond the fish are older and bigger and eat more.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds