Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Plants?

More
24 Apr 2011 18:34 #1 by Arcadian (Stephen)
Plants? was created by Arcadian (Stephen)
Pond construction is underway and should be complete in a week or so but in the meantime I'm trying to source the plants, without much luck :( All i'm looking for are a couple of lilies, some floating plants and oxygenators. Can anybody direct me to a good place to buy loose plants (as opposed to €5 for a bunch of 3 inch elodea in a plastic cup :laugh: ) Preferably i'd like to find a website either here or the uk that I can buy from, most of the ones i've found so far offer great value but don't deliver to Ireland :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Apr 2011 20:01 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Plants?
Garden World Garden Centre

Category: Shopping Home & Garden Home & Garden [Edit]
Blakescross
Lusk, Co. Dublin
(01) 8437351

ratoathgardencentre.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms...ms-90005673+p-2.html

Try calling this GC. They always had a selection of Water/Pond Plants.

Kev

More
24 Apr 2011 20:11 #3 by Arcadian (Stephen)
Replied by Arcadian (Stephen) on topic Re: Plants?
Excellent, thank you, I'll give them a call and see what they have:)

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Apr 2011 20:14 - 24 Apr 2011 20:15 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
:o)

Kev.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2011 20:15 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
24 Apr 2011 21:49 #5 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)
I have 2 bowls of salvinia, limnobium, something that reminds me water lettuce, a lot of Lemna minor (perfect food for ducks) and some other I'm not able to recognise :)
If you think it could be suitable for your pond, it can be yours for the cost of postage. :)

More
25 Apr 2011 00:21 #6 by Arcadian (Stephen)
Yes please! I'm in Dublin 15 so if you let me know what the cost is that'd be great :cheer:

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2011 08:44 - 25 Apr 2011 08:55 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
Just a Heads up, and fair play to Katherine but these Plants are not suitable for outdoors in Ireland, they will last the Summer if it's a good one and the winter will kill them.

Kev.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2011 08:55 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
25 Apr 2011 09:26 #8 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)
Kev, thanks for explanation. I was sure that at least lemna minor and salvinia were able to survive in a pond in Ireland as lemna minor is a very common and surprisingly hard plant while salvinia is under the strict environment protection in Poland (as far as I remember) able to survive in nature but Polish summers are warmer and not so rainny.
It's amazing how a simple question can give so many information which confirm that although we do our best to learn as much as possible but still we can say: scio me nihil scire. :)

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2011 11:40 #9 by stretnik (stretnik)
Hi Katherine, I'm so sorry, you are totally correct about the Duckweed, it is cold hardy but so invasive in a Pond that it's best kept out.

I hope my reply didn't appear nasty, I really didn't want it to appear as if I was making less of your gracious offer.

Kev.

More
25 Apr 2011 12:11 #10 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)
Kev, not at all :) I really appreciate all your comments and opinions - there is not too much information, there is not too much knowledge. :)

I think that now Arcadian will be able to take 'consious' decision on accepting or refusing my offer.

I didn't know this 'invasive face' of Duckweed before I put it in my tank. I should have had recognised it but these little tiny leaves were so lovely. Its ability to multiplication is terrible. If I only could have asked you when I had been given it, I wouldn't be forced to net it twice a week!!

More
25 Apr 2011 12:41 - 25 Apr 2011 12:43 #11 by dar (darren curry)
Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re: Plants?
the only knowledge i can offer is do not be tempted to swipe some local plants from rivers or streams etc etc.... i did this (i made my peace with the lord, so back off begrudgers) and my pond vanished, i took them all out and it vanished again in a matter of weeks

DON'T BREAK THE LAW

is 5 euro for a bunch plants not a bargain?

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic
Last edit: 25 Apr 2011 12:43 by dar (darren curry).

More
25 Apr 2011 16:25 #12 by Arcadian (Stephen)

Just a Heads up, and fair play to Katherine but these Plants are not suitable for outdoors in Ireland, they will last the Summer if it's a good one and the winter will kill them.

Kev.

Don't worry Kev, I already have them earmarked for my aquariums :P The duckweed in particular is super for the catfish tanks :)

More
25 Apr 2011 16:30 #13 by Arcadian (Stephen)

the only knowledge i can offer is do not be tempted to swipe some local plants from rivers or streams etc etc.... i did this (i made my peace with the lord, so back off begrudgers) and my pond vanished, i took them all out and it vanished again in a matter of weeks

DON'T BREAK THE LAW

is 5 euro for a bunch plants not a bargain?

:laugh:

Don't worry I won't be tempted to take plants from streams etc, I won't let my dogs within 10ft of the local waterways, i'm sure as hell not sticking my hands in them, pretty sure they're devoid of all life anyways - apart from the cat sized rats :woohoo:

Last time I checked €5 for four three inch elodea stems was not considered a bargain :evil:

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds