Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

goldfish very sick help

More
13 May 2011 18:00 #1 by skk123 (shaun)
my goldfish stay at the bottom of the tank,changed color and have pop eye i used a internal bacteria medaction but there still the same.i had some plecs and minnows in wit them but i found them dead.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2011 18:15 - 13 May 2011 18:40 #2 by dar (darren curry)
give us tank details and water test details, how often are you changing the water, did you read the meds and follow it to a tee, wat temp is the tank? did you keep the water oxygenated while dosing with meds? (some deplete the oxygen)

edit albeit if it was a lack of oxygen, they would be gulping for air. i just tend to try cover a few things in fish health

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic
Last edit: 13 May 2011 18:40 by dar (darren curry).

More
13 May 2011 18:22 #3 by JohnH (John)
I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but you should expect the worst.
Right now you should change 50% of your water in the tank and replace it with fresh dechlorinated water, then be prepared to do the same again in the morning.
That's for starters, now - after you have done that, as Dar suggests, reply with some more information regarding how long the tank has been running, the size of it, details of filtration, water readings - anything you can think of which might give a clue to what's wrong.
I have a suspicion it's a water-related problem from what you've said so far.
Perhaps the fish were being fed more than they consumed?
Please get back soon and change the water...oh yes, stop feeding the fish, if you haven't already done so.
Good luck.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
13 May 2011 19:30 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but you should expect the worst.
Right now you should change 50% of your water in the tank and replace it with fresh dechlorinated water, then be prepared to do the same again in the morning.
That's for starters, now - after you have done that, as Dar suggests, reply with some more information regarding how long the tank has been running, the size of it, details of filtration, water readings - anything you can think of which might give a clue to what's wrong.
I have a suspicion it's a water-related problem from what you've said so far.
Perhaps the fish were being fed more than they consumed?
Please get back soon and change the water...oh yes, stop feeding the fish, if you haven't already done so.
Good luck.
John

I agree with JohnH on this......I would also be considering adding some salt as well. Would you go for that JohnH.

On the oxygen lack of....the fish would tend to be at the surface, but too much carbon dioxide in the system would send them to the bottom.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
13 May 2011 19:46 #5 by JohnH (John)
Adding the salt,
I'm just a little concerned that the Goldfish might be already very stressed but adding salt will hardly make things worse. Perhaps a weak solution, building up strength of the salinity with each water change.
But really, without actual details of water dimensions, filtration etc we are really only making
'educated-guess' suggestions, Ian.
It is important to stress that table salt ought not be used since it contains chemical agents to aid 'free-running' of the salt.
Sea salt, or at very least, cooking salt should be used.
Personally I would start off at a teasponnful per gallon (4.5 litres) but others might feel this to be incorrect so, please, add to this thread.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 May 2011 19:49 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: goldfish very sick help
I just have this objection to mixing these types of fish, I know Goldfish and Koi etc are found in differing climatic zones warm and cool but the chances of diseases being spread is quite high and Goldfish etc expell huge amount of waste into water that fish less tolorant would suffer from. Would you consider keeping these Fish seperately?

Kev.

More
13 May 2011 20:12 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Some conditions would be useful to know...and exactly which medication was used.

JohnH, I'd go for a weak sea-salt solution (and it would be something between a fifth of what you said and what you said). I'd use a fifth (teaspoon per five gallons) for long-term usage as opposed to a bath.

I think that a salt bath would not be recommended as that would stress the fish.

The reason I use salt in stressed fish is that often help as a destressor...especially as respiratory problems are seen with stress.
I have a sneaking feeling that the medication may be one that has knocked the biological nitrogen cycle out of sync and compromised the gas exchange in the fish...the salt can help along with a water change (as JohnH suggests).

But I don't know which medication was used, so I'm speculating.

And, as said, not table salt or the 'easy flow' anti-caking stuff. Aquarium tonic salt would do fine.

@SKK123.....any updates on the fish?

ian

More
13 May 2011 20:29 - 13 May 2011 20:30 #8 by skk123 (shaun)
its 260l tank running a year, ph7.5, ammonia 0ppm,nitrite 0ppm,nitrate 40-80ppm,filter is aqua one cf 1200
medication instructions followed to a tee bar the salt have none
have 2 air stones running all the time
i added new fish about a month ago
thanks for your help
Last edit: 13 May 2011 20:30 by skk123 (shaun).

More
16 May 2011 11:47 #9 by skk123 (shaun)
found two minnows dead this morning :(

More
16 May 2011 12:14 #10 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Which brand of medication did you use?

More
16 May 2011 13:45 #11 by skk123 (shaun)
Interpet anti bacterial infection medication

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds