Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Maroon clownfish love there new bubble anenome

More
15 Jun 2011 16:33 #1 by Jambomac (James McConville)
My 2 maroon clowns which i bought at the same time but not as pair have bonded and this anenome which i only got on sunday seems to have made the bond all the stronger, which is funny cause all i've read every where is that the maroon clowns are headach to bond.p.s. had to move my rocks because the anenome decided to camp under the rocks and wouldn't lets hope he doesn't become a trouble maker anybody else had success whit keeping bubble anenome and did it split.

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee
The topic has been locked.
More
15 Jun 2011 18:20 #2 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
looks great mate would love to be able to keep marine

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving
More
15 Jun 2011 18:28 #3 by Jambomac (James McConville)
Thanks for the comment.
Why can't you keep marine is just space you because all i have is boyu-tl550 128 litre tank doesn't take up much space and everybody seems to make it out to be the worlds most difficult thing its not cheap by any stretch unless you get somebody who bought everything and then want's to give up for whatever reason.

If i can do it anybody can you just need to go slow

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee
  • paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jun 2011 20:16 #4 by paul .... (paul ....)
Replied by paul .... (paul ....) on topic Re: Maroon clownfish love there new bubble anenome
Looks great dude well done ;)
More
15 Jun 2011 20:16 #5 by andrewo (andrew)
They sure look to be enjoying their new home; wont be long before you are after a larger tank? :)
Nice video mate.
More
16 Jun 2011 19:12 #6 by Jambomac (James McConville)
everybody wants to have large tank nobody wants a small one but you get one that will the space and price and basic maintenance you can afford i think if it was as easy americans have with large tanks the smallest tank on this forum would probably be 100 gallon(that's european gallon).

On another note i think my anenome was died, i think colouring anenomes different from there natural colour should be outlawed as it stresses them.

I initially thought it was great purple anenome before i found out today that dye anenomes and there sold as coloured anenomes and they will lose there colour after probably 1 year.

Man is not god if you want to keep a natural reef than there shouldn't be man made colourints used.

If i wanted a freak i'd get one those crazy looking japanese goldfish.

quote Bruce Lee
More
16 Jun 2011 21:53 #7 by andrewo (andrew)
sorry to hear that but anemones should be introduced only after tank is well established like 6 months to a year; i found out to my detriment too; but gave it back before it died; it will just keep getting smaller until - dead!

reason i said a larger tank is i think all tangs need minimum 5 feet if not more. and colouring anemones? you sure of that mate? because the anemone might be stressed thefore lost all colour; anyways stay away from the anemones for now; some star polyps look just as nice.

regards
More
16 Jun 2011 22:52 #8 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
The clowns look very happy with their new home ok.

I had green one that was great for ages then went a walking into the circulation pump.

Got a haddoni and it is lovely but it was destroying the tank and it was huge and when it moved it caused landslides, so that and two clarkii were removed to another tank - it has behaved itself since.

I replaced the haddoni in the main tank with a rose tip bubble anemone and it has not moved an inch since I put it in about 4 months ago :-) The two small common clowns in the tank take turns in it but rarely will one allow the other in. The funny thing is that the RTBA shrinks to nothing every night and one clown stays with it trying to get in to essentially nothing!

Good advice to avoid anemones until your tank is well matured.

Daragh
More
16 Jun 2011 23:39 #9 by Jambomac (James McConville)
No my anenome is not dead and as for the hole mature system i only found that out in the last day and i ment dyed as in colour dye and some people do actually dye anenomes which i also only found out today.
They are sold as coloured anenomes as in somebody coloured them in. The anenome is lilac with illuminiuss green tips and its fully re-inflated after i fed it i think it doesn't have much zooplankton maybe so probably needs more feeds than usual like every second day and as soon he hit the tank he's gone one spot and hasn't moved since.

The yellow tang has actually settled in really well in the tank follows the copperband butterfly around and if i came across i was annoyed at your comment andrewo i wasn't everybody has there opinion and every fish its personality some might even settle in a 10 foot tank

www.wetwebmedia.com/coloredanemones.htm

www.wetwebmedia.com/dyedanemfaqs.htm

quote Bruce Lee
  • paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jun 2011 10:46 #10 by paul .... (paul ....)
Replied by paul .... (paul ....) on topic Re: Maroon clownfish love there new bubble anenome
I hate to e the 1 to post it but it has to be posted!! Your tank looks a lot smaller than 4 foot????? if so its way ,way to small for a copperband or yellow tang! never mind both ;) What size is your tank exactly? B)
More
17 Jun 2011 14:48 #11 by Jambomac (James McConville)
Paul well spoted my tank is not 4 foot but it is a tall tank like would 4 foot long and 2 inch deep be a better tank. Like for somebody to categorically say its to small is irrelevant and i asked the well respected fish shop would it be ok, He did say i would be pushing adding a tang but as long as its small it should be fine i've kept tropical since i was 13 and as you are somebody also new to keeping marines i wouldn't be so definitive with your answer.

In reality should any sea based fish be kept in any size tank?

People on high horses tend to fall off them. copperband butterfly do not swim around rapidly they float around picking at rocks deliberately yellow tang i've also read that shouldn't be kept with other tang copperband butterfly as they aggressive towards them but with many youtube videos as evidence and my little tank.

I think you possibly take some advice or things you read as gospel, its not its just an opinion.(pinch of salt required )

Keeping fish is learning experience and you can do everything you read in a book or advice from well respected fish shop and can still all go wrong. Do i have yellow tang or copperband butterfly in there ideal environment ,no but i can't own the ocean and there from thousands of miles apart.

All water parameters are fine and all fish are happy although think my tang was wild caught

quote Bruce Lee
  • paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jun 2011 15:15 #12 by paul .... (paul ....)
Was only pointing out in case you didnt know mate ;) and just because im new to marines has absolutely nothing to do with it and yes im 100% sure about what i said!! and they say 4 or 5 foot in hope people wouldnt analyze that way considering every top brand 4 foot tanks are clearly gonna be deeper than 2 "s mate!! Thats why i asked what size your tank was before saying it was to small, like how many liters it holds! either way good look with it its your tank
More
17 Jun 2011 16:13 #13 by Jambomac (James McConville)
Who are they? Some of they would say that i believe that mandarin fish you would be better off in well established tank because of its requirements for copepods but thats what they say whoever they are.

P.S i love the way you have decided your right because you read i have gotten bad advice from people in petshops and they give you the idea they know what their talking about.

They don't always and very rarely there to make money the bigger tank the more money.

Everybody is entitled to there opinion A+B doesn't always equal C.

www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/mandarinfish.htm

quote Bruce Lee
  • paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jun 2011 16:29 #14 by paul .... (paul ....)
What do you mean whos they??? experts, researchers highly experienced fish keepers!! people who make it ther life to study these creatures!! And yes they do say that about a mandarin fish and they are right it does need that witch i have my rocks from a more than established setup plus ill be adding pods myself plus he is eating frozen foods as well so i am well covered beyond all odds besides more to the point looking for inperfections (if they have any) in other peoples tanks in no way justifies your own!! And i also like how ye dodged the original question twice ;)
  • Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jun 2011 17:03 #15 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Maroon clownfish love there new bubble anenome
Guys, please take it easy on each other ... :)

Remember the rule of "not attacking the poster" please. We welcome healthy discussions but don't want our members to tear ourselves apart ! :)

Fish keeping is a funny hobby sometimes, what works for some doesn't for others ...

Thanks !

Valerie :)
More
17 Jun 2011 19:03 #16 by JohnH (John)
Paul,
If you read this I wasn't able to do what you requested.
I do hope you reconsider, though.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
More
18 Jun 2011 10:35 #17 by JohnH (John)
Thread is now locked, this is a place for meaningful discussion, not for outright argument.

*Jambo the message to Paul was a personal one - really not concerning or about yourself - honestly.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds