Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

to swap or not to swap??

More
20 Dec 2011 00:59 #1 by colly130 (Colin)
hello all ...
currently have a cichlid set up in my room .. after lookin at my brothers marine set up for the last while ive been debating weather to change from cichlids to marine... just wondering what everyone thought of it or if anyone has done this ?? i know money wise its a bit more expensive but sure thats life !! the tank i have is a betta 100 .. so its not a huge tank... would it be worth the hassle and what fish would i be limited to ? i was really thinking about doing a seahorse set up aswel anyone do that??
hope to get some replies to see what people think

cheers,colly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2011 12:14 #2 by Jambomac (James McConville)
I've kept cichlids and to be honest with my marine tank i find a lot more interesting with the relationship of a clownfish and anemone.

As for limited its more opened up as you can now have crabs and shrimp.
fish wise clowns, wrasse, goby's,cardinals and cheap chromis, and dragonet scooters.

Theres probably more just can't remember off the top of my head.

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

More
20 Dec 2011 17:17 #3 by dyco619 (steve carmody)
you could do what im doing at the minute, i keep cichlids in my big tank,
and want to keep a nice size marine setup at some stage,

so i setup a 54ltr fish only marine tank with about 5/6kg of live rock and have just 1 clown fish in it at the minute,

i intend to build it up slowly, then adding corals in time once i feel comfortable that i have learnt enough to do so.

there is a big difference in keeping marines than tropical so my advice would to be start off small and keep building and learning as you go! and ask plenty of questions..

good luck.

More
20 Dec 2011 18:01 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I would have been mainly a cichlid keeper over the years, and still have an interest in cichlids.

I haven't kept marines for 30 years now, I got a bit bored with them once the challenge had been largely beaten, and concentrated back on the tanganykan cichlids again afterwards....but got a bit bored with Tangs compared to a bigger interest I had in river cichlids.

But there are still some very interesting marines that if I decided to set-up a full marine tank again, I would have a nice passion for: bat-fish, scorpion fish, any trigger or puffer-fish, and the blennies.

Price-wise, I think that marine fish are on a par with freshwater.
OK, so you don't get 1.99 marines, but look at the price of non-standard freshwater fish (what prices are discus? some tanganyikans?)....and you can be paying a pretty penny for a freshwater fish for which the water conditions are not easily obtainable or known.

Yes, a marine tank can be more expensive to set-up and keep going. But, you do not have to have computer controlled systems on a single fish tank.

There are lots of advantages to keeping marines that you don't always get with freshwater fish.
Just get to know the subject, buy carefully, and have some patience with the tank fully maturing.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
20 Dec 2011 18:42 #5 by colly130 (Colin)
yeah i was thinking of a small tank but i thought it takes more to keep them running ? am i right? the only other thing is space... if only i had more haha... yeah my brother has a rio 125 set up and he only has 4 fish in it 2 clowns a blue tang and yellow tang but it looks great now ! thanks for all the replies if anyone else has any input at all id really appreciate it !!

colly

More
20 Dec 2011 19:00 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

yeah i was thinking of a small tank but i thought it takes more to keep them running ? am i right? the only other thing is space... if only i had more haha... yeah my brother has a rio 125 set up and he only has 4 fish in it 2 clowns a blue tang and yellow tang but it looks great now ! thanks for all the replies if anyone else has any input at all id really appreciate it !!

colly

Small tanks and massive tanks are problematic as starters.
The best is a reasonable sized tank to start with as it is not true that 'bigger is better' (not to start with anyway).
Too many things can go wrong with a new tank, coping with a massive tank gone wrong is no fun as emergency action is difficult.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
20 Dec 2011 20:18 #7 by colly130 (Colin)
yeah thats what i thought ian i think the 100 is reasonable enough isn't it ? im just gonna start pricing and buying bits and bobs now so eventually i will have everything over time

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds