Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Rio 300 Marine conversion

More
13 Feb 2012 20:55 #1 by davyg (David Gough)
So I've finally taken the plunge and started taking steps towards a marine tank.This will be a slow process for me as I plan on taking my time.I emptied the tank and tonight I removed my DIY background(easier than expected)
Hopefully at the weekend I'll get the tank outside,cleaned and drilled.I have ordered diamond bits so hopefully I have them by the weekend.I am planning on drilling the bottom of tank for an 1.25" overflow with a .75" backup overflow and a .75" supply.I have made a list of pipe,fittings and valves I need to fit sump.I am planning on using clear PVC pipe and fittings in display tank and not fitting a weir box (not sure how this will look).I have a rio 125 empty so I'm planning on making a sump out of that.Thats it for now I'll update this as I progress (slowly ha ha)

Tank as it was

Tank empty

Removing background

Cheers Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2012 20:20 #2 by davyg (David Gough)
So I have made a small bit of progress,things are moving slowly but i'll get there.I am moving the tank from one room to another so there is furniture to be changed/moved/bought to keep herself happy!!!

So I have tank in the room it's gonna stay,so its time to cut out a square int the plastic surround that comes with a juwel tank

Hole marked and a little dam built around it with blu tack

fill the dam with water,start drilling and hope you dont hear the crack of glass :o

Not so long later 3 holes and a clean tank

next step is to sort a sump.I'll probably use a rio 125 I have for this and sell the cabinet and hood/lights off it.I will also have to modify the cabinet to take the sump.I have 2"x2" timber ready for this.Thats it for now
Dave.

More
19 Feb 2012 12:25 #3 by davyg (David Gough)

looks nice Dave, the worst work is done - drilling holes in glass, by the way, where you bought the drill bit for drilling in glass, was looking for DIY Stores, to no avail, I found only on eBay?!

Thanks I picked up the diamond drill in B&Q.

More
22 Feb 2012 20:22 #4 by iknowkungfu (chris)
Good luck with that I converted my rio last year its just now its starting to take off, have lots of corals and inverts love the tank I also keep dart frogs 3 tanks but my marine gets my attention every time. would love to go bigger but this has taken a large part out of my year to get this tank to mature and a large gap in my wallet but its worth it.
enjoy. :cheer:

More
25 Feb 2012 20:42 #5 by davyg (David Gough)
I dropped off a 125L tank today to get baffles put in for my sump,so I got to work on the cabinet.This was the bit I was dreading the most!! But it came together ok I think.I cut out the inner sections so the tank can fit and reinforced with 50x50 timber.

How it was

uprights in and inner sections cut

I removed the original juwel screws from the end panel and replaced with angle brackets on the inside so that if the sump ever has to come out it wont be impossible

The doors didn't close properly now but I have moved the hinges forward and it is a lot bettter now

I also sprayed the back of the tank black

where it is now,I will be cutting the back panel I removed to fit the centre section and I have magnetic catches to hold it on

Dave

More
11 Mar 2012 20:28 #6 by harpurM (Harpur Morrison)
Nice project m8 love the pics. You may not be able to remove the sump later should the main tank be full as the new supports will not move, even with the plates you used. Found this out myself after all tanks were in use.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds