Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

HELP ANEMONE-CLOWNFISH

More
20 Jun 2012 20:56 #1 by Godzila (Robertas)
Hey guys.anyone ever tried to get clownfish to host the anemone??looked all over internet found few methods one easy one was to put pics of clowns hosting anemones.tried didnt work and other is to put them in a bucket or something with anemone and they start hostin.has anyone tried this?i have 2 black and white clownfish and a white anemone dont really know the name of it.i put them in a bucket about an hour ago but they didnt go near anemone.should i leave it for longer or they will never host it???

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2012 21:14 #2 by Jambomac (James McConville)
How long have you had the anemone and fish and certain clownfish tend to only host certain anemones. I never had this problem as my female dived in about ten minutes he was in the tank

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

More
20 Jun 2012 21:25 #3 by Godzila (Robertas)
I had a bubble tip anemone b4 and they didnt go near it.this new one i have is about 2 weeks in the tank.clowns are in the tank 6months.but in the bucket i have in the tank now with anemone and clown fish i put few laminated pics of black clowns in anemones and they slowly goes near anemone hosts it for few sec and goes away so i hope i will leave them for another hour or two and see what happens what do you think? thanks for your replay JAMBOMAC

More
20 Jun 2012 22:33 #4 by Jambomac (James McConville)
yeah definitely be patient i'm not sure whether clowns look at pictures and go so that's what that jelly thing is for . if there checking it out it should be only a while.

If your clowns are tank bred it might not have the instant intinct but it sounds like its getting there and then the anemone has to get use to this fish beating it up.

Hope it works out

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

More
20 Jun 2012 22:45 #5 by Godzila (Robertas)
they r nt tank bred.i went out for 30mins came back they r in the anemone all worked out.thanks for replays!!!took me about 2 hrs to get clowns to host anemone.have a bucket with holes and the laminated pics if anyone needs to get their clowns to host anemone.

More
21 Jun 2012 18:18 #6 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Very Good

As ill be adding a pair off Clowns to my tank in the next week or so

From what i have heard/being told that 99% off the time tank bred clowns will not host at all?

anyone any ideas on this?

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
21 Jun 2012 18:33 #7 by andrewo (andrew)
Most of the time they will still host it as its instinct; but a newly set up tank is not ideal to have an anemone in there.

More
21 Jun 2012 19:53 #8 by Godzila (Robertas)
Thats nt true.i have a friend who breeds them and he puts a plastic anemone when clown r about 2 months old to let them know what it is.so dont worry you just need to choose the right anemone for the right clowns and just use the method i used for some people it takes a only 20 minutes for me it took 3 hrs.when they were hosting anemone in the bucket i put them back in the tank they didnt go near anemone again so i tought my work was useless but today they came in to it and still in it now so im very happy.i have heard that some people had clowns and anemone in the bucket for 3 days before they started hosting it feeding in the bucket and all.couse somethimes anemone does not allow clowns to go in and keep stingin them but it still gives up in sometime.

More
21 Jun 2012 20:07 #9 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Well thats goof to know then,

You wouldnt believe the people who told me that but least i know now that they will

Thanks lads

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
21 Jun 2012 21:19 #10 by Godzila (Robertas)
No prob Sean best luck with trying to get them to host anemone...always welcome to ask something dnt know too much but can share whatever i know ;)

More
22 Jun 2012 00:00 #11 by Jambomac (James McConville)
I don't believe anemone can sting anemone fish due to the special coating. As for will all tank bred clowns host anemones not necessarily if loads of people across the globe have this problem i don't think we can come up with definitive answer either way.Just patience will help, Just watch your anemone as it might bleach due to stress in first couple of months and if its a bubble it will roam to find its favourite spot. Make sure to feed him if he does bleach and the clowns might not feed him initially.

Throw up a pic of the happy pairing

quote Bruce Lee

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds