Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My New Marine Tank :-)

More
22 Jul 2012 23:32 - 22 Jul 2012 23:50 #1 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Alright lads.

Just want to post up a few photos off my new tank it is getting delivered on Tuesday by Seahorse

It is a White Custom made tank, Here is a a bit info and spec on the tank

It is a custom made tank done by AquaFab (Seahorse Aquariums)

Tank size: 1400mm x 500mm x 600mm
Sump size: 900mm x 400mm x 400mm. (is divided into 4 sections)
Colour: White
Equipment includes:
2 x Aqua ray XG 1500 white ocean led lighting units 2 x Aqua ray ocean blue led lighting units

Tmc V2 800 Protein Skimmer.
2 x koralia power heads.
2 x 300w hydor heaters.
1 x Ehiem 2060 Return Pump.
45kg Live Rock and 20kg sand.
2 JBL reflectors, 2 X T5 and light holders and Arcadia electronic controller(complete set).
D-D RO unit 50 gallons water osmosis x 3 stage including Di unit and resin
1 x H2O salinity refractometer
1 x TDS Meter
1 x TMC V2 Vectron 600 UV steriliser with 400 litre pump
1 x FMR 75 Fluidised reactor kit

Live Stock

1 x Banner Fish
1 x Purple Tang
1 x Naso Tang 6”
1 x medium sized flame angel
1 x blue Tang
1 x Yellow tang
3 x Yellow/blue Damsel
3 x star fish.
2 x Cleaner shrimp
2 x Fire shrimp
And a Pair Ocellaris Clownfish

A Few snails, also a good few soft corals

Hope to have it reset up like in the photo as love the rock work but will see on Tuesday

Look Forward to here your ideas about the tank and what to do and what not to do

Thanks

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving
Last edit: 22 Jul 2012 23:50 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2012 23:36 - 22 Jul 2012 23:38 #2 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Sorry about photos cant be sorted as i copied them ill post some more up when i have the tank moved and in and ill take my own photos

Also i have a lot more Equipment on my own that i will be adding to it so that will be getting updated also :cool:

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Last edit: 22 Jul 2012 23:38 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

More
22 Jul 2012 23:47 #3 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Awesome Sean you went with the white after all great choice
A bit of work for you on Tuesday don't forget to take loads of pic's

Fair play to you mate

Mark

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jul 2012 23:54 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: My New Marine Tank :-)
Sweet !

Kev.

More
22 Jul 2012 23:54 #5 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Awesome Sean you went with the white after all great choice
A bit of work for you on Tuesday don't forget to take loads of pic's

Fair play to you mate

Mark

Yeah mate i had it in me head and when i get something in my head i want it haha

I really wanted a 6 or 7 foot but sure this will do for now and then ill upgrade to WHITE 6 or 7 foot clearseal

I have Seahorse picking up the tank for me and then they are setting it back up that way less stress on the fish and sure them lads do this every day so much better then any off us ya know

Pricey to get moved but if ya think about it well worth is in the long run

cant wait now and i wouldnt mind im flying out on holiday on the Wednesday morning so i wont even be hear to see the tank for long lucky brain who has marine years lives beside be so he is going to look after the tank in case of and spikes and that

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
22 Jul 2012 23:55 #6 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Sweet !

Kev.

Cheers Kev cant wait now

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
23 Jul 2012 00:19 - 23 Jul 2012 00:31 #7 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Holiday aswell Sean and i thought we were in a recession ;)
Any space in those suitcases for me :lol:
Last edit: 23 Jul 2012 00:31 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill).

More
23 Jul 2012 16:31 #8 by antoblfc (Anthony Behan)
Awsome tank mate.Had a look at that package in Seahorse last week.Maybe some day you never know.
Have fun.

More
23 Jul 2012 20:40 #9 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Sean...Omg
I want one.!!!
Best of luck and Keep us posted!!

Stephen M.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
23 Jul 2012 21:12 #10 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Holiday aswell Sean and i thought we were in a recession ;)
Any space in those suitcases for me :lol:

Yeah Mark im heading out on the 26th then back on the 2nd and then back out on the 29th and then back on the 7th so take god i have brain to look after the tanks

@antoblfc i dont think this is in seahorse mate as the fella im getting this off got it as a custom build off them a year ago at in and around the 4k mark.

@stem12 Thanks mate i cant wait now only a few hours to go ha hope all goes well im sure the lads will look after everything when doing the move

Will defo keep this updated as i want to take a lot off photos and when i add new corals and that ill keep updating

I wont be adding more fish as the fish stock is unreal and looks great

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
23 Jul 2012 21:43 #11 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Looks the business lad great spec

More
23 Jul 2012 21:44 #12 by fionakoi (Fiona Wynne)
Best of luck with it. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

More
23 Jul 2012 21:56 #13 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Thanks lads

Paul i have a load more gear to go into it and ill have to put that list up and also i have anther list off gear i want to get soon and dosing pump kits, controllers the lot there a load more to go in to it

Also am going to have it packed well to as much as i can without over stocking it with soft corals

Also my bro in law has a Deltec MC500 skimmer that he is not using so i think i might take that off him and add it also

What you other lads think about having 2 skimmers on the tank?

Is there even a need for it?

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
28 Jul 2012 00:42 #14 by tony 301 (Tony O'Doherty)
Great looking tank best of luck with and enjoy

More
28 Jul 2012 15:58 #15 by antoblfc (Anthony Behan)
Its very like the one in Seahorse mate.The one they have is about two grand and its situated
in were there setting up the new monster tank. Would like to see more of your tank when you get it
up and running Cheers

More
28 Jul 2012 16:31 #16 by Jambomac (James McConville)
Great looking tank now try and fight the urge of buying every marine fish and invert.

Have fun

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

More
28 Jul 2012 20:59 #17 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Stunning tank sean mad jealous.

Regarding the skimmer i would run 2. The tmc don, t really have a good name and either way it won,t do any harm just incase one is pulling gunk the way it should be.

Keep the pics coming

More
05 Aug 2012 22:39 - 06 Aug 2012 00:18 #18 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Thanks very much lads

Just a little up date (still have to get photos i will soon i promise) :laugh:

When the tank was getting moved we lost the Naso Tang 6” and the banner fish was not happy at all as these fish where ones off the best i have every seen but thank god they are getting replaced from the lads i got to move the tank

On another note i have upgrade the skimmer to a Skimmer Deltec TS1060s Turbo Skimmer so i think this will be enough :laugh: rated for up to 1000 to 1500L so i think it willdo my 450L :laugh:

I have also added a lot off new corals and tank is starting to look very well and am very happy with it

In the next few weeks ill be removing the cheto and pellets and rows phos as ill be going to the res sea NOPOX have heard nothing but good things about this so cant wait to start using it

Still a lot to do and im sure it will be never ending but every all ok as off yet and thanks for the comments lads ill get photos up tomorrow

If any one has any ideas off what else to do or add would love to hear

I have a blue tang in the tank that is fighting with my purple and yellow tang so im thinking replacing him with something but i dont know what as off yet but im looking for something a good size great color and reef safe so any ideas lads?

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Last edit: 06 Aug 2012 00:18 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
06 Aug 2012 00:08 #19 by des (des)
Replied by des (des) on topic My New Marine Tank :-)
that's lovely Sean
fairplay to Ya

Des

More
06 Aug 2012 03:16 #20 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Sean sorry but your gonna have to stop this thread, it's making me want to try marines and i cannot afford another tank or i'll be shot by the other half, that said SWEET setup
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
06 Aug 2012 09:35 #21 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Thanks lads

Yeah Sheag its hard work but have to say its great put a bit off time into the tank and thats all it needs

If ya get her looking at a good marine tank with fish in it that she wants she will want you to get it :laugh:

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
06 Aug 2012 13:45 #22 by Jambomac (James McConville)
long horned cowfish would be an interesting replacement the only problem i can find is tube worms it eats

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

More
06 Aug 2012 14:12 #23 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Hi Sean,

It awhile since I was on the forum.
Last time your were just planning the move to marine.
Well done. That is a dream setup you have there :ohmy:

Makes me think again in that direction.
I just need to wait until that Lotto win comes thorugh
:laugh:

Keep the photos coming.

Greg

More
06 Aug 2012 14:44 #24 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Wow, great looking tank!

Keep us posted on any updates and good luck with the new tank!

Melander

More
06 Aug 2012 23:33 - 06 Aug 2012 23:39 #25 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Just another little update(with photos) not the est but ah well :laugh:

I empty the sump today and changed everything around i added in the new skimmer whet a skimmer i have to say having a very bigg skimmer on a small enough tank is defo the way to go

I also removed the bio pellets from the reactor and replaced them with carbon and also removed the rows phos and cheto as im going to be running the red sea NOPOX

in the photo you will see the wires all over the place but they are meant to be like this untill i add the pon box tomorrow then they will all be neat

Aslo adding an other top up unit tomorrow as i have an extra chamber in the sump so this will be spot on for the ro water for the auto top up

Aswell tomorrow the Heater controller unit will be getting wired up and more bits to go

There is more softies in there also hard to see but there a lot and more to come

Thanks to everyone for your comments

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Last edit: 06 Aug 2012 23:39 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

More
06 Aug 2012 23:58 - 07 Aug 2012 00:06 #26 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
That looks f-ing fantastic Sean nice work I'm very very jealous...
But seriously Sean get a vid up ;)

I know I'm a pain in the backside

Mark
Last edit: 07 Aug 2012 00:06 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill).

More
07 Aug 2012 00:27 #27 by fionakoi (Fiona Wynne)
Fantastic set up. Who wouldn't want a marine tank after seeing this!
Fiona

More
07 Aug 2012 00:59 #28 by andrewo (andrew)
Congrats on the set up! Looks great! Pity bout the naso tang; love everyhting in there except the damsels :laugh:

Nice to see people moving into marines :)

More
07 Aug 2012 09:13 #29 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Set-up looks impressive Sean! Best of luck with it :)

How are you finding the world of Marine versus the fresh water set-ups you are used to dealing with?
I only ask as I know a lot of people would love to give the Salt water world a try but are put off by all the technical considerations. Perhaps a few threads related to how the 2 compare and experiences in switching from fresh to salt water environments would be helpful to people thinking of taking the plunge.

Cheers,

Bill.

More
07 Aug 2012 10:20 #30 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
@Mark you are a pain in the back side ha only messing yeah mate i have to get one up when i get all think i have in my head now and the new fish in it ill take a video

@Fiona i hope other think the same would be great to get more salties on here

@Andrew yeah i couldnt believe it when they told me this naso was the of the nicest i have ever seen its a big pity but in saying that it is getting replaced for one the same and same size it was a blonde naso 6inch

As you know your self the Demsels wont last in the tank as only one the biggest will end up the the only one left after a while that's just how it id with demsels

I hope more get into marine

@Bill thanks mate

Apart from more money ha that's really it i had to put more work into my planted tank then i do this tank

But with me and tank everyday i could home from work i always do bits and bobs on the tanks

Just with marine st the start you think it is a lot harder but in saying that its not it is all just about the balance and once that is right you are laughing

I was lucky as well to have Brian live just a few doors up from me which have being in the marine world for years have has an outstanding 1200L marine tank so thanks Brian

Thats a good idea i maybe something when i get a bot off time i will be about to write something up from going from fresh to marine and maybe a little step by step and that way hopefully it would make more tae the plunge as you say.

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds