Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

wave maker question?

More
19 Oct 2012 16:39 #1 by colly130 (Colin)
Hey people I just received a wave maker I ordered from Hong Kong product is great but I dunno if the current is too strong its blowing 12000lph and my tank is a 2ft aquastart 170l is this bad or does it matter it looks great and the leather hand coral I have in it looks ok also?

Cheers colly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2012 17:30 #2 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi Colly,
I don’t keep marines myself so can’t claim to be an expert. I am sure any of the marine keepers on the forum can give a more accurate answer.
As far as I know, you ideally want to turn over the volume of water in the tank approximately 15 to 20 times per hour. Some recommend up to 30 times per hour depending on corals and livestock. The total turnover is wavemakers, filters, sump return pumps etc.
With the 12000lph wavemaker alone, you are turning over 70 times the tank volume per hour :ohmy:
I think it may be a bit too powerful for your set-up but as I said, I am not an expert.

Cheers,

Bill.

More
19 Oct 2012 17:38 #3 by colly130 (Colin)
Thanks for the reply man appreciate it! Everything looks ok fish look happy coral looks happy so hopefully theirs no technical issue with it as in it effects the water but I don't seewhy it would hopefully one of the more experienced marine keepers can give me some more info. Thanks anyways for that bill

Colly

More
19 Oct 2012 18:18 - 19 Oct 2012 18:19 #4 by jimmy L (James Lynch)
hi colly,

It sound's like a lot of flow for a 170 ltr but once its not blasting your corals or fish and blowing sand around it should be o.k one thing you can do is aim it at the glass so it takes away some of the initial flow away, this has worked a treat for me in the past, but that was a 12000ltr an hour pump in a 400 litre tank.

James
Last edit: 19 Oct 2012 18:19 by jimmy L (James Lynch).

More
19 Oct 2012 20:16 #5 by colly130 (Colin)
Yeah cool that's exactly what I'm doing its not blowing anything in the wrong way anyways so hopefully its should all be good!

Colly

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds