Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Finding Nemo !!

More
21 Apr 2013 10:43 - 21 Apr 2013 10:45 #1 by Homer (Kevin)
Given the coming of Nemo in 3D, can we please avoid the madness we experienced when this Movie came out first ,,where countless numbers of these Fish met their maker in Goldfish bowls etcetera ? Through ignorance on the part of the buyer and either stupidity on the part of the Retailer , thousands of these Fish were killed by being put into the hands of people who knew nothing about their care.

I think Sponsors dealing with Marine stock have a duty to advise anyone of the requirments and experience needed to keep Clown Fish happy and healthy.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 21 Apr 2013 10:45 by Homer (Kevin).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2013 11:03 #2 by davey_c (dave clarke)
People who are uneducated on the fish husbandry wouldn't know any better so to me its solely the shops fault. All alot of them see are the dollars! !
With many marine starter kits for sale I often wondered what way was maturity obtained or do they hold your fish till the tank etc are ready for them... often wonder how many of them fall into the wrong hands of the unknown buyer

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
21 Apr 2013 11:21 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
It's a multi-edged sword.

Such films are a great potential to get more people interested in the natural history of the animals, and to tempt people into setting-up a fish tank.

But the downside is the "want want, I want" and the "sell, sell, we'll sell it" side of things.

There is nothing wrong in wanting (that is being human) and nothing wrong with selling (people need to make a living).
But, agreed, that some form of in-shop education would go a long way in halting a mania.

As with so many similar cases, here we are often preaching to the converted: those who possibly seek to know more.
How does one reach those who do not wish to learn beforehand?

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
21 Apr 2013 12:10 #4 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Maybe fish shops should start stocking the plastic bowl and fish setups like the toy shops. Then those who are prepared to learn and look after the fish can invest in a tank and wait for it to cycle and those who don't can have plastic.

But as Ian says only those with an interest will listen to advice and the fish shops know that even if they refuse the sale another shop will very likely happily take the cash.

Unfortunately our only hope may be that a few children may learn the reward of patience and the joy of looking after a pet properly.

Dec

More
21 Apr 2013 12:20 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Finding Nemo !!
Sadly - and possibly we have all witnessed this scenario in fish shops - the demands (I want) come from children. Parents are often unable to resist these requests and soon afterwards another Marine Kit plus Nemo(s) is taken from the shop.
At the end of the day a shop assistant can do little more than offer advice. We can very easily eulogise about this, but a sale cannot be reasonably refused (although I do believe it is now illegal to sell live fish to unaccompanied minors).
Shops are really in a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' sort of scenario. The assistant can only advise the would-be customer of the need to not buy any fish until the tank/water is ready for them...if a customer persists in wanting to buy it's a strong-willed person who will be able to refuse to sell to him/her.

I think education is the clue here, and more so the education of the children!

Perhaps Disney should make a short film about 'KEEPING NEMO' and show it as a feature after the main film.

As an afterthought, Organic Aqua do Marine Kits, step up to the stage OrganicSteve.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
21 Apr 2013 13:33 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
"Keeping Nemo"......great idea.

The best education is at the point of first encounter.

ian

More
21 Apr 2013 14:02 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)

ian

+1 just before the main film and on the DVD

More
21 Apr 2013 14:27 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

ian

+1 just before the main film and on the DVD

What are we waiting for?
get onto Disney with the suggestion....
they need a good looking presenter (I'm that), who knows about fish keeping (I'm that), and is need of some money to buy a 60s super car (I'm that).
Deal done with self promotion backed by the Irish Fish Keepers forum :cool:

More
21 Apr 2013 14:49 #9 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Finding Nemo !!
Great idea John.

h.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds