Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Probably another feeding question

More
05 Sep 2014 08:11 - 05 Sep 2014 08:12 #1 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
So here is my "problem"

I admit it, I tend to overfeed. Specially because of the diversity of fish types and sizes I have and I am always thinking, oh.. wait, that little fella there didnt get much to eat lets throw some more.

For example, my jawfish lives at the bottom of the tank, if I throw flakes in the tank all the other pigs will finish them before he gets any so I always throw a bit more, but even then the tangs will finish most of it before it gets to him.

So my question is, how do you do it? how do you feed different fish breeds and different size fish with different feeding requirements?

for example, a tang can be feed once every 2-7 days (depending on the size) but smaller fish might require several feeds per day...

But if I try to feed my smaller fish two or three times a day my pigs end up getting most of the food so it defeats the whole purpose. My nitrates are always off the roof (around 10-20 ppm) and I have to do water changes every week (I am still fine tuning my skimmer).

My plan is to spot feed the smaller fish (like the jawfish, firefish, black ray goby and even the clowns and the bicolor blenny) and feed the bigger ones (tangs and long nose) every other day (the bigger fish are still babies, only 3-4 inches big), but I am worry that this might increase aggressiveness in the tank (specially the tangs)

My tank has no algae either so tangs have nothing to munch on between feedings (although they are constantly picking on the rocks, probably eating copepods and small bits of algae).

Appreciate your help!
Last edit: 05 Sep 2014 08:12 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2014 09:18 #2 by SSS (Sion S)
Turkey baster ;)

More
06 Sep 2014 14:39 #3 by carlowchris (chris)
Would a turkey baster not be a bit big for food for the jaw fish?????

I have a couple of little droppers .i think i got them with some sort stuff.possable with a bottle of no pox...they only hold about 4 or 5 mil..would something like that not be mire suitable ???

And maybe put some seaweed on a clip at tje back of the tank to distract the tang while you feed the jaw fish.

More
06 Sep 2014 16:11 - 06 Sep 2014 16:12 #4 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey guys, thanks for your replies

the turkey baster is a bit big (I already have one as well as one of those spot feeder I got in seahorse that I broke recently). I recently bought a spot feeder similar to julian's thing, I hope this will give me more flexibility when feeding him as well as corals.

Yes, spot feeding seems to be the best solution but the problem with spot feeding the jawfish is stress, even if I pour some food on the other side of the tank as bate, if I am not quick enough feeding the jawfish once the pigs finish with it they will rush towards the jawfish, this generates more stress on the jawfish, as all of the sudden he has 5 fish plus the 2 skunks all over his burrow so I need to guard the area while he eats, he has a big mouth so he can easily eat krill and similar food where others can't. Believe it or not the jawfish has already started to show signs of stress, the new burrow seems to have helped him settle a bit and I am hoping that this with proper food will help him survive.

I need to work out a plan that will suit all the fish. I just hope that I find it before is too late!

I am thinking of spot feeding him one piece every minute or so, this should not attract attention, the veggie clip might do the trick but unfortunately only the purple tang eats from it, the other 3 are copying him now and have slowly started to eat but it will take a while for them to familiarize with the process! :)

thanks again
Last edit: 06 Sep 2014 16:12 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
06 Sep 2014 17:33 #5 by SSS (Sion S)

Would a turkey baster not be a bit big for food for the jaw fish?????

Why would it be too big? You don't put it in his mouth hahah

You could try a technique used to let corals feed... I saw a video before where a guy wanted to feed his a coral but his shrimp kept robbing the mysis right out of the polyps. So he fed them with a turkey baster and then placed a big clear container over him to keep the food inside and the fish and shrimp outside ;)
You could probably do something similar over you guys burrow.

I'll see if I can find the video

More
06 Sep 2014 17:36 - 06 Sep 2014 17:37 #6 by SSS (Sion S)
Something like this :)

Last edit: 06 Sep 2014 17:37 by SSS (Sion S).

More
07 Sep 2014 09:21 #7 by carlowchris (chris)
Why would it be too big? You don't put it in his mouth hahah

if you did put it in his mouth he'd certainly get the food

but the reason I thought it would be too big was because I thought the turkey baster would release too much food attracting the attention of all the others to come over and nick the food off him,,,the bottles not a bad idea but if you put too much in and he doesn't eat it as soon as you release the bottle you'll have a swarm of others over his burrow just to get a piece or two.........might be a bit stressful

More
07 Sep 2014 14:01 #8 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Chris is right, the average turkey basters releases too much food at the same time which makes all fish gather around the feeding area which in the end stresses the jawfish even more.

I have ordered a smaller pipette more suitable for aquariums which I hope would do the trick.

At the moment I am just spot feeding him with tweezers or even by hand but my fish are such pigs that they will bite of my hand so by the time I get to the bottom its all gone!!! :)

More
15 Sep 2014 22:14 - 15 Sep 2014 22:16 #9 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Howye mate tangs should have a massive supply of seaweed/algae on a clip during the day when their nice and full you can target feed anyone I found a syringe 10mill I use with a piece of air line or what I use now as it's firmer and more easier to direct is the tubing you use for a ro unit, glue it to the syringe tiny bit of glue on outside of syringe and stick on the tube and boom I can release very small amounts of food of course only frozen or pellets, never tried flakes but don't think that would work, the height of ur tank should be the length of tubing so you can feed everything that needs it, you can do this to shy fish with no food to get them use to it if Yeh get me, idea came from target feeding small amounts to corals

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2014 22:16 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
15 Sep 2014 22:19 #10 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Bit of tank water in a cup drop in the food such it up with syringe and feed as you desire

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
15 Sep 2014 23:14 #11 by carlowchris (chris)
that's a flipping brilant idea,

More
16 Sep 2014 06:47 #12 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Looks like the syringe and air line is a winner but thought this worth a mention. You can get small turkey baster type thing in the baby aisle usually in small kits with other small baby stuff.

More
16 Sep 2014 13:12 #13 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey guys

Well, I have to say that I have tried everything and it is almost impossible to get him to eat without having the whole pack devouring his food.

I have even tried feeding one side and then quickly go to his spot but the fish are so quick that he would barely get a couple of bites before everyone is on that side. The problem is that they are pigs and they finish whatever I throw in within 1 or 2 seconds.

Two solutions so far, or do the bottle trick (gonna try it this week) or feed krill (it is harder for the other fish to eat it and the jawfish seems to like it).

The fish is doing well anyway but since I reduced feeding to once a day (and sometimes I will skip a day) this guys are so hungry they will just eat like if there was no tomorrow

I have bought this device

Its a copy of the well known julian's thing, it is useful to feed corals without opening the lid (the pipette is about 45 cm long plus the tube give me plenty of length to reach most of the corals). Dont think is going to make much difference as, as soon as they realize what it is and I put it in the aquarium they will hand around it like a vulture...

I will keep you posted! I might record it in video so you can get an idea

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds