Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

sudden death of flame angel

More
06 Sep 2014 18:01 #1 by iknowkungfu (chris)
:blink: hi all have a reef running for over 3 years was keeping a potter angel for over 3 years when sadly it passed away a few weeks back. Anyway when I was in a local store I had the opportunity to pick up a nice looking healthy flame angel, anyway It suddenly died last night. Have been doing alot of research regarding dwarf angels when the potter passed away and they seem to have a habit of suddenly dying, research saying it due to how they are harvested in the wild mainly indonisea, they believe they use explosive and poising . My tank is lightly stocked only 5 fish small, for 200 litre and all the fish I have are between 2 to 3 years and parameters are ok.
Have any ye guys experienced this sudden death in dwaft angels, he was not bullied in the tank..he was top dog. I have 3 shrimps in the tank flame, skunk and banded coral shrimp and starfish so if something was wrong with the water they would be hit first?
cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2014 08:33 #2 by iknowkungfu (chris)
anybody here to shed a little light, noticed replying :unsure: on this fourm are starting to go downhill over the past year

More
07 Sep 2014 10:51 #3 by SSS (Sion S)
The only dwarf angels I ever kept was when I was working in a fish shop. I'd order them in on occasion, usually flame angels, coral beauty's, the popular ones. Anyway they were one of the ones that sometimes they lived and sometimes they died. I stopped getting them in because of this and I heard about the poisoning methods of catching them. Obviously I have no proof which ones were poisoned and which weren't but I heard it's a lot more common than you'd think.
There's probably nothing wrong with your water and there is a good possibility that it's to do with the method of catching.
Just from my experience working in that fish shop, I never put any in my tank because there's a chance that they might decide to nibble on corals.

More
07 Sep 2014 13:07 #4 by iknowkungfu (chris)
thanks alot put my mind at ease died in the tank so a feast from my serpent star fish and crabs expensive dinner ....keeping with the ones i have assessor, firefish,6 line wrasse, cardinal and blennie.Lovely fish good to know somebody has stopped ordering maybe these type of fish should be kept on the reef to look at on holidays and tv. The industry should know which fish do well in cap tanks and others not and stop exporting them well the demand is with us and me, ill know for next time and if anybody else is reading this resest the temp, stick with wrasses, blennies and cardinals and other bread and butter fish. At least he was not the mega pricing other shops sell them for.

More
07 Sep 2014 15:14 #5 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Totally agree. IMO LFS should not sell non captive bred fish. Specially those who are notoriously hard to keep (for example my blue spotted jawfish). Some fish are better of in the sea where they were found.

I know is hard to say no for a fish shop but I suppose is more people faults, as long as we keep buying them there will be a demand for them and unless they all stick together it would make no differenece if a LFS decided not to bring specific fish, specially if another LFS will bring them anyway.

More
15 Sep 2014 22:22 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Sorry for ur loss mate and a expensive one too that's not good for the mind of fishkeepers

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds