Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Aquanano 40 marine from day 1

More
24 Mar 2015 20:35 #1 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
So here is my (kids) new project it's the aquanano 40
Not to sure on stock yet but their definitely asking for an anemone and a pair of clowns, the clown pair will be wisely choosing the won't be the standard one's and definitely want them to breed so the kids get the full on experience, and maybe a neon goby but as of now lots if research to do, and haven't a clue about a nem so lots if research on that too

For now I have the tank and stand which I painted white (the stand)
Return pump doing x10 per hour
Heater
5 kg live rock
Floss
Carbon
Rowaphos
Lighting is the light that comes with it Aqua one led, not bad but needs beefing up a bit
Also have the Blau marine led nano light
For now the lighting is alright but maybe down the line I might go all out if needed

That's about it for now making water as i type so I try keep the pics coming it's only half full now

And nearly forgot!!! Haha ooh yes this will be a bare bottom tank ain't going down that road again, over time they do look better and more natural

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2015 21:05 - 24 Mar 2015 21:05 #2 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I nearly took the plunge in marine fish keeping when seahorse was selling their aquanano display tank, it was a really nice set up.
Are you spoiling the kids or yourself :crazy:
Last edit: 24 Mar 2015 21:05 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne).

More
24 Mar 2015 21:51 #3 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Nothing like a marine tank you should deffo consider it, it can be pricey if you go all out, But, it can be done fairly cheep for a basic set-up that gives you a piece of the ocean into your own home, to me theirs nothing like it in this hobby, allot of people think its so hard to do but in reality its not, its just another way of fish keeping, a different way but not really that different once you have the basics nailed down

Doing it for the kids as they are very interested and always asking questions and asking for their own tanks, so im hoping teaching them from scratch that this way they will follow in my foot steeps and in the future they will one day have their own amazing big tanks to enjoy

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
24 Mar 2015 23:26 - 24 Mar 2015 23:32 #4 by carlowchris (chris)
Whats going in this one?????

Are ya going native???

edit....sorry got a bit ahead of myself there and just read the pist properly......ohhhhh exciting.....was looking at those tanks and there probly the nicest of all the nanos i see

cant wait for updates on this one :)
Last edit: 24 Mar 2015 23:32 by carlowchris (chris).

More
25 Mar 2015 13:52 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I think this is a great idea. I think in our enjoyment of the hobby we sometimes forget how great it can be for kids. Apart from the awe, it teaches them respect for the natural world and, if they continue the hobby, they'll be ahead of the curve on the sciences come secondary school. There is almost no other pet you can look after and look after well without becoming more informed and experienced yourself. You can own a cat, dog, rabbit, hamster etc without knowing anything other than dietary and exercise requirements, housing and hygiene. Fishkeeping requires a renaissance man ;)

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
25 Mar 2015 15:12 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Couldn't have put in better myself bud, cheers

More
25 Mar 2015 15:14 #7 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

I think this is a great idea. I think in our enjoyment of the hobby we sometimes forget how great it can be for kids. Apart from the awe, it teaches them respect for the natural world and, if they continue the hobby, they'll be ahead of the curve on the sciences come secondary school. There is almost no other pet you can look after and look after well without becoming more informed and experienced yourself. You can own a cat, dog, rabbit, hamster etc without knowing anything other than dietary and exercise requirements, housing and hygiene. Fishkeeping requires a renaissance man ;)

Very well said. My own kids were all involved with collecting and maintaining the native tanks at our place.

More
25 Mar 2015 21:02 #8 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Day two

Water and rock work done

More
25 Mar 2015 21:26 #9 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Next thing on the list is 500l/h powerhead as thier is definitely not enough flow, crap from the rocks can already be seen on the Base so we need to get that moving around and sucked in threw the the over flow
One of the good things with no sand is that you get to see all the dead spots which is great and will make the future allot easier
I recon in this tank a turnoverof 20p/h will be plenty, but we will have to wait and see how it moves and if we need another one which I dought but if we do we can then add another one
The kids will test water every two days for around two weeks and if everything is good they can get their clean up crew and continue their testing schedule for another week then they can go get their desired fish by then they will be in the zone and understanding that feeling of making it all happen

More
02 Jun 2015 23:31 #10 by carlowchris (chris)
How's the nano doing????

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds