Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Marine Tank custom builts

More
25 Jun 2015 15:59 #1 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Guys

Just a quick question, I am finally going ahead with the tank and I want to do some shopping around before I make up my mind.

There arent many options out there, in fact, I have narrowed it down to 3, Seahorse, ND aquatics (probably last option as they are in the UK) and Bart.

I like seahorse, they have a great reputation and I know them all well, so they are my 1st preference, however, I didnt want to discard others such as Bart who I have heard good things too.

What is your opinion?

Price is not "yet" a problem but something to consider though, hence why I want to make sure I have covered all angles...

Second hand tanks are welcome but they would have to come from a trusted source such as one of you guys etc..

Tank size, not that it probably matters yet will be around 700 l

ta!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2015 18:25 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Honestly at 700 litre plus I would personally want a brand new tank or a cheap enough second hand tank that I could afford to break it down. And have a complete reseal job done on it! (That's kinda a rule of thumb I use for anything over 400l)
I am having a 450 rebuilt and resealed by Bart soon enough, I'm currently trying to decide what to do sump wise and going to price sh and Bart for the sump

I know Bart will do job from start to finish including cabnite so that's a big bonus too

More
25 Jun 2015 20:26 #3 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
I agree with you, I am more inclined for a new one. In fact, I am not considering second hand tanks (at least I am not looking yet)

I dont mind doing the plumbing or tubing myself as I will take it very slowly with this tank, it will probably not be ready for months!!

I will pay Bart and SH a visit tomorrow probably and see whats cooking ;)

Thanks

More
25 Jun 2015 20:39 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
As far as quality goes...... Both are very high in quality and customer information/service is very good
Let us know how you get on

More
26 Jun 2015 12:11 #5 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
I have just had the same dilemma.

Both have very good knowledge of their jobs and will spend time with you working out what you need and want.
SH seem to over engineer their tanks and hence you pay for that, they will build your tank with thicker glass and so the cost goes up.
The cabinet that SH quoted me was over twice the price of somewhere else!

Bart was a great guy when I met him last week. I am going with him to build my tank and sump. This is not only because it was cheeper but he could build what I wanted and a price I liked.

Of course this is only my option, but Bart is building mine.

More
26 Jun 2015 21:37 #6 by carlowchris (chris)
Well alex how'd ya get on????

Got to be a tough one both sh and bart great guys and top quality from both.....

if i was getting a tank built though id probly have to go for bart...while money may not be an issue over all saving on tank build ,, will leave a little extra for stocking.....

More
26 Jun 2015 22:30 #7 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey guys

I was talking to Bart this morning and I am almost sold, he is gong to be back to me with some prices but I doubt that would be a problem.

Sound guy indeed, might visit SH later this week and see what happens ;)

More
07 Jul 2015 19:58 #8 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Exciting times, love it, best of luck bud

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds