Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

20th live sand for juwel vision 260

More
09 Jan 2016 00:32 #1 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
In the process of setting up marine tank, got 20kg of live sand, is this enough? Tank is 4ft long 260 litres, have 20kg of live rock coming also and deltec mc600 skimmer, 2fflt sump and blau overflow box and just wondering is there anything else I need to start the cycle?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2016 11:22 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Heater
Pumps
Wave makers
Salty water
Live rock and sand
Uv steriliser (optional at this stage)
Lighting (optional at this stage)
Bacteria in a bottle (I'd recommend it)
Keep phosphate removers handy and a reactor to run your phosphate removers in

More
09 Jan 2016 20:45 #3 by carlowchris (chris)
20 kgs of sand should be plenty.I watched way too many videoes on YouTube of Americans advising 1 pound per us gallon and as a result I have 100 pounds of live sand in my tank and its too much.....I've had sandsifters and conchs and snails and everything else and its too deep I can't keep it clean.....most of it will be conning out when I redo the tank....

you can always add more sand later if ya want some kind of fish that burrows .

More
09 Jan 2016 21:41 #4 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Cheers Chris, I got 20kg of black live sand, looks a bit different but I like it

More
10 Jan 2016 12:42 #5 by iknowkungfu (chris)
You either go deep sand bed or very shallow my old tank was between deep and shallow and have had alot of trouble with it. My new tank will only have 1 to 2 inches of sand and deep sand bed 5 inches in the sump. Learned alot over the 4 years and will not but my mistakes of the past into this new tank.
Sand beds in between DSB and shallow only trap crap and its not worth it.

More
10 Jan 2016 14:11 #6 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Thanks bud, maybe il put deep sand bed in the sump

More
25 Feb 2016 23:38 #7 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Welcome to the forum

I for one am totally against deep sand beds, infact don't agree with sand at , sand beds are for the ocean, although I have thought about one in the sump once the filter socks are kept very clean, but I have no experience with this, it is only a thought!! That it is a good idea, but is it really needed, I don't really think so, could be wrong

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
26 Feb 2016 05:35 #8 by Homer (Kevin)
Hey Chris, nice meeting you the other day, should you be offloading livesand in the near future, please keep me in mind.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
27 Feb 2016 20:10 #9 by carlowchris (chris)
Nice to meet you too kev.....

I'm am going to be taking at least 90% of my sand out but ....I've Sen a few bare bottom tanks out there and from what I've seen bare bottom definitely looks the way to go.......if I gave ya 50 kgs of my sand God knows how much of if would probly be stuff you didn't want..

Personally myself I'd give second hand live sand a miss

Sand General ly is disturbed very little so holds onto a lot of crap..

Second hand live rock though can generally be ok cause it has a lot of water circulating around and through it.

More
28 Feb 2016 18:38 #10 by Homer (Kevin)
Cheers Chris, I hear ya.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
28 Feb 2016 20:37 #11 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Jasus lads never take anyone's live sand what lies beneath them rocks is scary smelly stuff
Chris wait till you remove ur sand and get the smell it's ridiculous and to hard to believe and u will be saying that shit was in my tank you won't believe it

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds