Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Ribbon eel, v, the new gyre

More
20 Apr 2016 16:26 - 20 Apr 2016 16:28 #1 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Oops

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Apr 2016 16:28 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2016 18:29 #2 by carlowchris (chris)
No way... :sick:

After seeing that that guy grow from such a little fela to size he is now..you must be gutted

More
20 Apr 2016 19:18 #3 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
When I walked in to check the tank like I do straight after I go threw front door every day I thought I was seeing things Wtf felt sick, and no word of a lie spent from 1am to 2am this morning reading a very interesting article about them, about how hard it can be to keep them alive more than the first Mt.but their are a couple of reports of them still alive at 31 yrs. Crazzzy... And then this today jaaaaasus

On a hunch I see what I think is his mouth barely moving (so I started mouth to mouth and pumping his chest)
Eeh no I didn't haha

But I did go on a bit of a mad one tearing the top of the tank apart and pulling the new gyre apart until I was left with one of the propeller things In one hand and his mouth centimetres from my hands as now all I could do was twist the propeller backwards to see if it helps
So after a few bites and nearly crapping myself I got him free HE'S FECKING ALIVE
A few marks on him but no major issue

Think what also helped is the new pump has an auto off switch and that kicked in before he was eel mince

Now have to come up with an idea how to stop this again
It's fish keeping at its best

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
20 Apr 2016 20:35 #4 by carlowchris (chris)
Flipping Lucky.... :whistle:

Can just picture you on the floor with the eel laid out and you giving him moouth to mouth :laugh:

More
20 Apr 2016 22:26 #5 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
:laugh: :laugh:

Absolutely madness don't know how it's alive

More
21 Apr 2016 13:09 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Delighted he survived
Wouldn't fancy sticking my hand in his mouth tho

More
21 Apr 2016 14:18 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Jammie...
Get him to pick some numbers for a lottery ticket :laugh:
I built a filter for my mudskipper tank recently. I forgot to put the strainer back on the inflow and one of the yahoos climbed into it. He didn't get injured but ironically he drowned!

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
22 Apr 2016 00:41 #8 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Delighted he survived
Wouldn't fancy sticking my hand in his mouth tho

Cheers bud,
Didn't plan on ever getting bitting by this thing!!! but you do what you have to... to save a life,
Think he went easy on me as their was no blood in the end, haha, but man did it feel wierd!!!

I actually found it very funny when the wife and kids said it was like something from a movie as they stood back in fear, haha

More
22 Apr 2016 00:52 #9 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Jammie...
I built a filter for my mudskipper tank recently. I forgot to put the strainer back on the inflow and one of the yahoos climbed into it. He didn't get injured but ironically he drowned!

Can't get the loto numbers this week as he's not talking to me now, thinks it's my fault!! Ungrateful little shite
Sorry about the mudskipper that sucks,

Would be very interested in ur ideas how I might be able to cover the inflow on my yoke, if u have any ideas

More
22 Apr 2016 02:59 #10 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Jeff, Would you think of getting a small plastic mesh to go over the front of the gyro? Im thinking i will need to do kinda the same thing with my rw20's as there are quite large gaps that something could sneak there head into.

People are known to make egg-crate boxes for the power-heads but i think that's abit much. I have seen that people have used door screen mesh or there is a plastic mesh used in sewing , wrapped power-heads in it so it doesn't allow anything in near the internal parts but doesn't lose its power.

Glad he is still alive cause he looks great :)

More
22 Apr 2016 11:20 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Jammie...

Can't get the loto numbers this week as he's not talking to me now, thinks it's my fault!! Ungrateful little shite
Sorry about the mudskipper that sucks,

Would be very interested in ur ideas how I might be able to cover the inflow on my yoke, if u have any ideas

I think Sukhan's idea of some kind of sowing or gardening mesh would work well. It wouldn't be horribly unsightly or reduce the flow. As for my mudskipper, that was all my own stupid fault. He was the largest male, handsome fella as mudskippers go! I can't blame it on him, bad luck or a faulty device. It was all on me.
I do find it fascinating that a fish that lives on land but still needs water to breath can actually drown. Sorry I lost him but it does make you realise how amazing nature is.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
23 Apr 2016 07:00 #12 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Thats incredible that he is still alive. Man goes to show you how much animals can cling to life.

I would go for the mesh idea, it will require more maintenance but it is worth it IMO.

More
23 Apr 2016 08:09 #13 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
My misses after seeing the photo went and told me before I put anything into the tank my powerheads have to be covered lol. The rw20 I have have bigger gaps than the gyro.

I'll have a look around and see what types of materials I can find for covering and let ya know.

More
28 Apr 2016 14:42 #14 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thanks lads sorry for late reply work load has been crazy

Chris dropped some mesh into me but hole's were easy to small and the pump won't work properly
Finding it difficult to get a safe mesh with the correct size hole's
The egg crate holes are to big

More
28 Apr 2016 16:58 #15 by robert (robert carter)
What about a piece of net curtain they come with different size mess , dont know if its suitable but just a thought

More
28 Apr 2016 18:38 #16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Put the mesh on the eel! :woohoo:

More
28 Apr 2016 20:15 #17 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

What about a piece of net curtain they come with different size mess , dont know if its suitable but just a thought

It's worth having a look at alright, cheers

More
28 Apr 2016 20:25 #18 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Put the mesh on the eel! :woohoo:

Haha

He was out earlier having a good swim around (mind dazzling, has ti be said) But amazingly he never went near it at all like nowhere near it, I'm half wondering has he got the intelligence to stay away from it as maybe he remembers that whatever that thing is it tried to eat me

Can anyone speak eel,lish to find out more off him
Or anyone know how intelligent an eel is

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds