Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Feeding sun corals

• paulm (paulm)
  • paulm (paulm)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Jun 2007 21:24 #1 by paulm (paulm)
Feeding sun corals was created by paulm (paulm)

Hi guys now that were back just need some info on target feeding my sun coral. Iv been told not to often because of ammonia buildup.How often :?: and how much :?: And if any body has any info on mixing ie.how much water. Thanks Guys :?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2007 16:03 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hi Paul, the sun coral you have is a Tubastrea Faulkneri. As you know already it needs target feeding.
There are 2 ways to do this.
1- use a turkey baster, suck up some food and feed each polyp.
2- get a clear plastic bottle, cut the bottom off, place over the coral and pour the food into the bottle. This way the coral can feed with plenty of food available. This works great with brine shrimp.
Live brine shrimp is probably the best food but they will except a wide range of live/frozen foods.
These are not the easiest to keep because of there feeding habits.
When they are feeding if they take a piece of food and swallow it they will extend there polyps again for more food. You will see a little mouth in the centre of the polyps. When the mouth stays closed after the polyps have extended they have had enough to eat. At least this has been my observation.
I have never heard of problems with Amonia from feeding these. Maybe in a verry small Nano tank you would have this problem.
I suggest feeding daily.
If you want these to display in your tank add some cyclopse-eeze. This is a verry fine food that they will eat, but so will everything else in the tank.

I dont understand your question on "info on mixing ie.how much water"

• paulm (paulm)
  • paulm (paulm)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jun 2007 16:21 #3 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re: Feeding sun corals
Thanks for your reply platty252

Thats great info on feeding I'll try both of them.

As far as the mixing I was talking about CYCLOP-EEZE I just forgot to type it in sorrrrry :oops: I cant find the instructions on mixing it .

Thanks again for the information.

Kind regards
Paul
PS. I read your Thread on your reef tank and seen the photos, MAN ALIVE it had to be one of the most inpressive setups Iv seen.

Respect
Paul

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds