Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

For Paulm

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Anthony (Anthony)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jun 2007 16:11 #1 by Anthony (Anthony)
For Paulm was created by Anthony (Anthony)

Posted on behalf of PAULM

The right one is now changes from a male to a female, and the left one is a male, increase the temp to a constant 27C and keep the main light for exactly 14 hours and keep a light on during the night time in the next room with the door open or a light on a dimmer in the same room (not a blue moonlight in the tank as its too bright), if you feed 3 times a week frozen shrimp cut up (the type used when you fry shrimp in garlic oil) the fish are around 2 months away from spawning as she is mature enough looking at the shape and size. you will need a smooth beach stone beside the anemone and the will start by switching along side each other 1 cm above the flat stone for a bout a month before they spawn.

Lads.. The photocomp is for fish related pics only and text is banned.
All text in the past and now will be deleted as soon as I see it.
I taught that this post was so good that I could not delete so I moved it for Paul.
Excellent post Fr Jack.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jun 2007 16:23 #2 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re: For Paulm
B?x/£ing accepted. Sorry Anto.

Regards Paul

More
09 Jun 2007 00:33 #3 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: For Paulm
I see your point on text Anto but I not got the IT skills to start a new post of which you see the photo, I could of made a link to the Photo comp, but most would not bother to click on it, and that would be a shame, its not many times a marine fish has been post on the forum, in fact never where there fish is ready to breed and that would be a shame as if he follows my advise and gets rid of any other fish over 3 cm, or even better have the pair on their own they will bread, and that would be interesting to follow as we would of followed the pair from the Photo comp in June to Sept photo comp when they will have the eggs, I hope the spawn I guess I will have to vote for the photo regardless of the technical photo ship.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jun 2007 08:28 #4 by paulm (paulm)
Fr. Jack OK after reading your post Im setting up a 200ltr breeding tank for the clowns . IMG]

I hooked up a Red Sea Prizm skimmer on the back and i have a TetraTec EX 1200 external. Iwill mix my salt in the morning . Is 1.026 SP suitable for breeding and do i need to have MH,s .

Once set up I will post the progress with photos if thats what you guys on the forum would like.

Kind regards
Paul

Im not sure if the photos came up maybe ChrisM might help me again :oops: :roll:

More
09 Jun 2007 12:47 #5 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
A 2 OR 3 foot tank on their own is fine, you dont really need skimmers, a trickle filter is good idea 1.021sg is fine, the higher sg is better for inverts but puts more stress on fish Martin Moe, the first guy to commercial rear them, who at the time had Forrest Young working for him who was my boss (forrest) when I worked on a clown hatchery in the early 90´s says in his book Biginner to breeder that 1.020 fish is best, theoretically their osmotic pump will work less hard as the blood sg is 1.07sg so 1.025sg but unnecessary stress for a breeding programme, by the way if you use a 2 foot tank it should be just the pair and the anemone and a smooth stone beside the anemone.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/093996...181414774&sr=8-5

More
09 Jun 2007 16:24 #6 by lampeye (lampeye)
Replied by lampeye (lampeye) on topic Re: For Paulm
will the anenome do ok in anything less than 1024/5?

lampeye

More
10 Jun 2007 01:23 #7 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
All commercial breeding is done without an anemone, if you know what you are doing you dont really need an anemone, it does help for first time spawning, but once they have spawned one they really only need a flower pot normally a clay flower pot on it side is used without an anemone, the fish prefer 1.020 but your right that would do no favours for inverts at 1.021, compromise with an anemone 1.024sg.

To summarise its the physical environment is more important than tank size or fancy equipment, ie constant 27C exactly 14 hours of full light and a white light acting as a moon light to give just enough light so they can see each other, combined with some frozen food they will breed.
Clown fish can be found a 1000KN north or south of the equator hence they have 2 summers, its when they are having a summer combined with full moon that triggers rapid clicking and dancing beside the anemone over a the smoother area, the male will clean of the algae making a 2 inch round clean spawning area.

More
10 Jun 2007 04:29 #8 by lampeye (lampeye)
Replied by lampeye (lampeye) on topic Re: For Paulm
brilliant!

lampeye

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jun 2007 08:55 #9 by paulm (paulm)
This is all fantastic. Great buzz around here . Would two T5s be sufficient or do i need somthing stronger ie. MH the tank is 18 ins deep :?:
Also should I put some live rock in :?:
Filling tank at present as you know the ro water takes time but nearly there.

More
11 Jun 2007 02:24 #10 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Put the right light for the inverts that you intend to house so if its none with a flower pot 1 tube is OK if you have anemone MH is better as you know, I never bother with RO water, just tap water, aquasafe and marine salt, as you know I dont do water changes, and I have a carpet of hairy algae 3 or 4 cm long which acts as a substitute to tentacles of anemone, and the spawn without any fancy equipment nor a water change nor anemone for years.

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jun 2007 09:26 #11 by paulm (paulm)
Thanks Father Jack

Ill go with the Clay Flower pot and single bulb .
Ill keep you all informed. :)

Regards Paul

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2007 06:32 #12 by paulm (paulm)
Fr. Jack

Do I use substrate :?:
And where's the best position for tricle filter as in do I set it aboue the water line or below :?:

Thanks again
Paul

More
12 Jun 2007 11:32 #13 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Fr. Jack

Do I use substrate :?:
And where's the best position for tricle filter as in do I set it aboue the water line or below :?:

Thanks again
Paul

Just 5mm of coral sand.

Trickle filter? Good qes, neither. 70% above and 30% below but it goes to wast at water level making the bit under water a de nitrate filter, that way you will cancel the pH drop and nirtrate rise.

If that too difucult just have it all above the water level with the wast pile not in the bottom but 30% from the bottom, as if you think of it that does the same thing.

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2007 11:54 #14 by paulm (paulm)
Cheers Father.

Will have some photos soon :D

Regards Paul.

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jul 2007 22:11 #15 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re:For Paulm
We last held a discusion re the Clowns breeding in June and following the instructions given to me by father Jack on one of his sober days I can tell you that the Pair of Clowns (Amphiprion percula) have bred. At present its a small nest with transparent eggs. The smaller male is babysitting And mouthing the eggs at the moment.Know the work begins :blink:
Know I have to get the information on feeding the young. Im going to get the vedio out and get it up on the forum.

Regards Paul.

More
24 Jul 2007 00:18 #16 by steven (steven)
Replied by steven (steven) on topic Re:For Paulm
Well done Paul its no easy task breeding clowns, keep us updated on how you get on,

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds