Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

what coral is this

More
01 Aug 2007 16:09 #1 by buleetu (buleetu)
hi all

i got this as a hitch hiker

someone on another forum was saying they think its a manjano but i doubt it, it has a stoney base and looks similar but not a manjano

any ideas, it has a stoney base thats green and the polyps retract under flow

<br><br>Post edited by: buleetu, at: 2007/08/04 22:00

kiss my fishy AS S

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Aug 2007 23:43 #2 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re:whats this
Not sure but it looks like An Anemone.Cant see the base And is there much movment in it.

paul

More
02 Aug 2007 00:00 #3 by buleetu (buleetu)
Replied by buleetu (buleetu) on topic Re:whats this
hi paul

i dont think its a nem

it has a stoney base, are there any nems that have stoney bases and are stuck to the rock completly

it has grown a good bit since i first noticed it, it came on a big slab i got from that place in brittas

i cant remember the name of the shop

ye it was really small there was just 1 green stoney part to it then but now there are a load of them

last week i got a screw driver and took the surrounding rock away from the main slab, i have had a close look at it and it seems to be spreading, its like the rock is turning into the stoney part and then the polyps come out of it,, its spreading down the peice of rock,, im gonna put it on reef central and see if they know

kiss my fishy AS S

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Aug 2007 23:51 #4 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re:whats this
In that case mate you might have a thorn coral (Stylocoeniella)
Hop[e this helps

Paul

More
04 Aug 2007 21:00 #5 by buleetu (buleetu)
ive found what it is, its a small head blastomussa,have a look at the link

www.cyber-reef.com/Small-Head-Green-Eye-...-Merleti-p-1576.html

kiss my fishy AS S

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Aug 2007 21:37 #6 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re:what coral is this
$89.00 for that one And you got yours free. :woohoo:

Nice one mate must put that one in the book.

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Aug 2007 21:47 #7 by paulm (paulm)
Just looked it up and it seems to be from the family of SCOLYMIA common name ARTICHOKE CORAL and might be from the Solomon Islands.

More
05 Aug 2007 00:38 #8 by kieronr (kieronr)
have to agree,nice little bonus considering what we \&quot;reefers\&quot; have to pay for our livestock.The pleasure it gives well outshines the cost !

More
05 Aug 2007 09:25 #9 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi Blueetu, if you got it on our liverock, it came from Indonesia, but thats liverock for ya, its like an unopened gift!!!!!

More
06 Aug 2007 00:00 #10 by buleetu (buleetu)
yes i got the slb that it came on from aquatic village,.

i also got some other hitch hikers from live ock from other places too

i got a peice of alvaeopora

and one other one that were not sure of the name on

have a look at them

i got this one (alvaeopora)when i bought the yellow pussy coral thats just above it, i didnt know i had it for a long time,but one day i decided to frag the pussy coral for the first time (i now have 5 pussy corals coming on great) this was at the back of its rock, it was tiny but now nearly 10 months on its growing really well and ill be researching fragging it to swap

<br><br>Post edited by: buleetu, at: 2007/08/06 01:10

kiss my fishy AS S

More
06 Aug 2007 00:05 #11 by buleetu (buleetu)
i got this one when i bought a feather duster, the duster was attached to a dead peice of plating coral and this frag was attached to the side of it, it was brown and didnt really look like a coral at all it was just a different color to the surrounding peice so i decided to take the duster off it and i stuck it as close to the light as i could hoping it would grow abit its come on really well now and is starting to grow some polyps that have tentecles that feed on cyclopeeze occasionally

kiss my fishy AS S

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Aug 2007 19:43 #12 by paulm (paulm)
Hi buleetu the coral at the bottom of the alvaeopora might be a Clavularia or clove polyp found In the region of Indonesia Philippines and Australia. Very similer to a Anthila infact some describe it as an Anthilia.

Paul.

More
06 Aug 2007 20:44 #13 by buleetu (buleetu)
ye thay look really like cloves dont they

thay are actually gone now. i took the pussy coral off the rock with the alvaeopora and they havent (the cloves) grown since, the alvaeopora has come on a lot since that picture, its amazing how fast it grows

kiss my fishy AS S

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds