Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Yellow Tangs.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Anthony (Anthony)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Oct 2007 01:20 #1 by Anthony (Anthony)
Yellow Tangs. was created by Anthony (Anthony)
Can I add another Yellow tang to my tank. I have one yellow and he is aggressive, he even battered a Lipstick.
Don`t lash me I did not know they grew so big.
The tank is a Juwel 260l tank.
I would about 4 tangs in the tank and nothing else.<br><br>Post edited by: Anthony, at: 2007/10/02 02:21

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2007 08:40 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
Replied by lampeye (lampeye) on topic Re:Yellow Tangs.
Scott W. Michael strongly advises against it... unless in a huge tank.... he recommends the min tank size for 1 yellow tang 280 litres so i wouldnt risk it anto.

lampeye

More
02 Oct 2007 09:31 #3 by lampeye (lampeye)
Replied by lampeye (lampeye) on topic Re:Yellow Tangs.
also most literature reccommends only adding tangs to a mature aquarium. (prob 6 months running)

lampeye

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Oct 2007 14:02 #4 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Yellow Tangs.
He is the first ever Marine fish I bought and has been through my
idiot days...so to speak.:laugh:

More
02 Oct 2007 14:14 #5 by buleetu (buleetu)
Replied by buleetu (buleetu) on topic Re:Yellow Tangs.
hi anto

as long as i have being keeping marines (not long about1 year or so) and researching them i have being constantly told not to put a yellow tang into a tank smaller than 300 litres or so

but in saying that i have come across a guy in the uk that has a yellow tang in a 180 litre tank, he also has some other fish that wouldnt be recommended in such a small tank, he hasnt had trouble yet but ye never know what will happen in the future

personally i wouldnt put 1 yellow tang in such a small tank because as u know they are very active fish that sh#t all day and constanly swim about

so i wouldnt put another yellow tang into ur tank , 1 is enough i think IMHO that is!!!!

kiss my fishy AS S

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Oct 2007 00:55 #6 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Yellow Tangs.
Thanks for that.
I taught one was enough but I only need a small misleading and away I go.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
04 Oct 2007 15:36 - 04 Oct 2007 15:36 #7 by buleetu (buleetu)
Replied by buleetu (buleetu) on topic Re:Yellow Tangs.
me too anto

at the start it only took a gomey sales assistant in the petstop in blanch to say \&quot; ye thats cool, u can have a powder blue tang in a 70 litre starter tank\&quot;:huh: hahah thank god for the internet thats all i can say hahah:laugh:

kiss my fishy AS S
Last edit: 04 Oct 2007 15:36 by buleetu (buleetu).

• Ballabooyeah (Ballabooyeah)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2008 01:01 #8 by Ballabooyeah (Ballabooyeah)
Replied by Ballabooyeah (Ballabooyeah) on topic Re:Yellow Tangs.
NEVER add an additional yellow tang to a tank if there has been one in there.

i have tried many time to my wallet telling me to stop.

tHEY NEED TO BE IN 1, 3 , 5 , 7. Never even numbers.

I tried to add two more to one I HAD ESTABLISHED IN THE TANK - MISTAKE - PECKED TO DEATH BY THE one that was in the tank.

when I learn to touch type - the caps button will not always be pressed.

More
29 Mar 2008 03:57 #9 by Sharky (K McL)
Replied by Sharky (K McL) on topic Re:Yellow Tangs.
Excuse my ignorance but why do certain fish need to be kept in uneven numbers? I have read it in books many times but never found out why!

More
30 Jul 2008 12:37 #10 by newrossman (newrossman)
1 cant fight with itself but will fight a mirror LOL
2 will fight each other (BAD)
but odd's gives at least one fish a rest from the brawling.

You may even notice this in the pet store when big groups are kept the will keep picking at each other but not just at only one unless ill.

Tangs and Angels are just as bad as it gets but sometimes it can take months or even years for the bad side to appear but it always does and can be nasty surprise some morning. Clowns are another group of bullys and the can and will just pick one victum and tear it to strips, seen this in big groups too 5+, always the small guy get it.

I would play it safe tangs can do alot of damage to other fish as well the blades at base of tail can slice most fish so bad the die and thats just normal swimming around and just not liking the look of a fish that it may have been with for years.

Reef 55 Gallons

More
30 Jul 2008 14:00 #11 by adamireland (Adam Jackson)
if you have fighting going on, try re arranging the furniture (in the tank;)).. sometimes helps with aggressive territorial fish.

More
07 Aug 2008 11:17 #12 by newrossman (newrossman)
Mirror works when adding new fish, Fish prefer to attack image rather than others

Reef 55 Gallons

More
11 Aug 2008 08:59 #13 by stevieg (ALAN FLYNN)
I have a yellow tang in my 312litre tank will be moving him to a 560litre tank i bought when its set up had him since the start ive never come across a more agressive fish he is the boss added a regal tang gave him a hammering but are best mates now only seems to be fight with fish of a similar size added a longnose butterfly lately hammered him almost to death had to remove tryed everything i think if i was to start again he would be the last fish i would add to a setup to help prevent this otherwise i think hes great and have found him very hardy!!!!

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds