Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Size does not matter

More
31 Dec 2007 16:41 #1 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Fr. Jacks Marine Tank

My Wife says size does not matter, and she rather have a small one, provided they have interesting rock.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2007 16:43 #2 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

She prefers the rocks expoxied glued at the back so they wont fall down, this in the marine trade is calling jock strapping the rocks.

Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2007 16:47 #3 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
I once said that sea horses or butterfly fish are mainly kept by homosexuals, I eat my words the banner fish (black and white) is a member of the butterfly family, although one of the more hardy ones.

Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2007 16:48 #4 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2007 16:49 #5 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2007 20:20 #6 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
RESPECT!!! That is a beautiful tank.:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
31 Dec 2007 20:59 - 31 Dec 2007 20:59 #7 by Seany (Sean Phelan)
Excellent tank!
Do you intend keeping inverts or keep it as a fish only system?
Kind regards
Seany
Last edit: 31 Dec 2007 20:59 by Seany (Sean Phelan).

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Dec 2007 21:44 #8 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Size does not matter
Are the Banner and yellow Tang not better suited to a much larger tank?

More
01 Jan 2008 19:36 #9 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Seany wrote:

Excellent tank!
Do you intend keeping inverts or keep it as a fish only system?
Kind regards
Seany

They would not live very long in the tank as I dont do water changes, its not a nirate issue, as you have a good de nirating filter \"under the trickle filter\" (see rear top of tank), its just a have not got much time to do water changes , I just top up every second day and clean the glass and feed the fish, besides with that stocking density you are pushing it to keep inverts, also the banner fish will hack at the inverts.

More
01 Jan 2008 19:37 #10 by zing (Dave Rynne)
Looks great !

What's the tank brand/model ? Hoping to start a marine tank myself in the next couple of months and size wise that tank looks like it could be a suitable choice for the area I have in mind.

More
01 Jan 2008 19:44 #11 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Didinho wrote:

Are the Banner and yellow Tang not better suited to a much larger tank?

Yes if they grow bigger, defoe and the banner is a butterfly so you have also the stability of such a small tank, having saying that it stable temp wise as its got a eheim filter /thermostat (0.1C+/-), and a trickle filter.

I have kept a clown fish in a adult brine shrimp despenser, (20% of above the aquarium volume) but that pushing it.

I cannot disagree with you I guess I would not advise any one to keep these 2 fish in a small tank, my reason is odd.

The kids wanted the same type of fish as in Finding Nemo, yes its sad.

More
01 Jan 2008 19:56 #12 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
zing wrote:

Looks great !

What's the tank brand/model ? Hoping to start a marine tank myself in the next couple of months and size wise that tank looks like it could be a suitable choice for the area I have in mind.

Its a Eheim, with a trickle and de nirating filter DIY silioned into the top rear corner.

www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key...iendetail_29188_ehen

More
07 Jan 2008 14:04 #13 by mattsilvester (mattsilvester)
My Mrs. thinks size doesn't matter either.... so when I arrived home with this, she had no choice but accept it! LOL

Home to my emporer angel, his 4 tang buddies (yellow, purple, powder blue, lipstick) and their little anthias (5 of) frends..... not forgetting the little orange spot gboy of course.

Matt

Matthew Silvester

More
07 Jan 2008 15:03 #14 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
mattsilvester wrote:

My Mrs. thinks size doesn't matter either.... so when I arrived home with this, she had no choice but accept it! LOL

Home to my emporer angel, his 4 tang buddies (yellow, purple, powder blue, lipstick) and their little anthias (5 of) frends..... not forgetting the little orange spot gboy of course.

Matt

thirschmann
Premium Member

I am planning on going along with almost the exact same setup. You can click on the little red house to see my sketchup plans for my setup. I also plan on having a refufgium, water change tank, RDSB, a frag tank and a large main sump for everything to drain into. Let me know if you see any faults in my planning.

Proud Registered ORCA Member

Hobby Experience: Never long enough
Current Tanks: 120g SPS dominated - Building a 5'x5'x30\" 1030g Reef tank w/ 480g display, 210g sump, 180g refugium, 40g Frag Tank, 120g RDSB, AP1003 Skimmer w/self cleaning head, etc.

Open this post in a new window | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

07/22/2007 11:24 PM

mattsilvester
Team RC Member

Dear God thirschmann!!! that is some set up........

That is something to read tomorrow morning once I've clock into work!!!:laugh: Pay back time for taking the micky.:P
look forward to it!

Matt

Hobby Experience: Marine since Xmas '97. Prior to this, approx. 10 years freshwater.
Current Tanks: 8x2x2 Aspiring SPS Reef with 200 lbs+ Fiji LR, 1\" Caribsea SSB, Emporer Angel, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, 5 Lyretail Anthias. 48\"x18\"x15\" sump. Red Dragon 6500 Return. 2 x tunze steams 6060. 2 x 250 SE MH. Deltec Turbo 1060s. Delte
Interests: Diving, Cars, of course..... the hobby in general.

More
16 Jan 2008 15:55 - 16 Jan 2008 15:56 #15 by cianpas (cianpas)
Hi Jack. I have been reading your posts for quite sometime now and to be honest, it's the advice and knowledge that you have been giving which has led me to set up my first Marine tank. It's still in the maturing process and haven't added and fish yet. I am really impressed by your new set up. My question is this. Would it be possible for you to draw some sort of diagram of your filter setup and how you put it together, as I have been reading all your posts regarding trickle filters, etc, but can't get my head around what you use to make a filter such as the one in your new tank. I know it's a big ask, but I'm sure there's tons of people like me who'd love to see how it's done. Much appreciated, and keep the posts coming. I very much enjoy reading them.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2008 15:56 by cianpas (cianpas).

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds