Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

clowns

• pierce (pierce)
  • pierce (pierce)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jan 2008 19:46 #1 by pierce (pierce)
clowns was created by pierce (pierce)
I am thinking of buying clown fish and was wondering can you buy breeding clowns or are they nearly impossible to get or do you buy 2 and hope they pair

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2008 22:17 #2 by kieronr (kieronr)
Replied by kieronr (kieronr) on topic Re:clowns
Hi Pierce,you can get mated pairs but you will pay more for them.If you add two at the same time of the same size,the dominant one wiil change i think !.I'm not totally sure but someone like fr jack should be able to advise you.

• pierce (pierce)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jan 2008 22:23 #3 by pierce (pierce)
Replied by pierce (pierce) on topic Re:clowns
cheers i don,t mind paying a bit more.A mating pair with their anemone :P would be nice if any sponser is reading this

More
27 Jan 2008 23:07 #4 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Replied by Processor (Niall O'Leary) on topic Re:clowns
Let us know how you get on if you get them.

I know they are supposed to be hardy but certainly not in my tank they are not.

My first pair died within 2 weeks.The first from stress due to a Damsel whose parents weren't married and the second just shriveled to nothing.
The second pair both died with a pink fuzzy growth on them. The first one within 24 hours of introduction to the tank and the second a few days later got this pink fuzz and died within 12 hours of getting it. Never found out what it was.

Sorry Pierce I dont want to put you off as they are great fish and I will try them again in a couple of weeks time.

Processor.

More
28 Jan 2008 00:09 #5 by lampeye (lampeye)
Replied by lampeye (lampeye) on topic Re:clowns
pierce , if you ask a lfs they should be able to get a pair or you. or if your patient get two juveniles. all young clownfish are immature males (or unsexed). then they mature into males . if you have two they will bicker and the stronger one will change into a female. this is a one way trip , they cant change back . if your female died and you added another juvi, your existing male would then become a female and the juvi would turn into a male. AMAZING!

processor,
they are very hardy but dont ship well, so if you buy a clownfish in a lfs thats a recent arrival, chances are it will come down with something. ask how long theyve been in the shop, if not that long then better to wait a while (ask shop to hold them or just come back after a week or so) and then qt them. once they get over this they are \"bombproof\". get tank raised fish, they are even better.

lampeye

• pierce (pierce)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Jan 2008 00:24 #6 by pierce (pierce)
Replied by pierce (pierce) on topic Re:clowns
cheers for the heads up lads processor i will let you know how i get on

More
29 Jan 2008 12:15 #7 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Replied by Processor (Niall O'Leary) on topic Re:clowns
OK Pierce good luck.

Thanks for that tip Lampeye I'll give it a shot.

Processor.

More
29 Jan 2008 13:15 #8 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
Replied by Darkrin (Damien Kane) on topic Re:clowns
you can make the whole process alot easier by getting clowns of different sizes.. 1 bigger than the other, this way the struggle for dominance is lessened.. and the fish pair up very quickly without fighting!!

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds